SlotForum banner

1/32 Scale Issues, Track, et cetera

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  PAULH 
#1 ·
Well ... I'm an old slot guy, coming back so-to-speak. I'm digging out my old stuff. Mostly 60's 1/32 vintage cars, track, and so forth. Ran into an old bud, we both liked messing with them and decided to get our old stuff back out.

My favorite home track of the time was Revell Hi-Bank Raceway.

My Revell gray colored track is quite wide ... and Revell manufactured a large wide and expanded radius banked curve. I made a matching curve out of 1/8 inch plywood, painted it with special track paint available in those days and it matched very closely the Revell version in color, "stick," and is an exact duplicate in size and banking.

Allowing high speed on the other end as well. I took wide to narrow straight sections and grafted them to the plywood track in order to section it with the standard Revell straight track.

I will need to get more track and of course accessories ... prices have climbed I noticed : )

Seems Euro track is narrower than US. So ... my question. Who makes Revell like track? Can I still get high-banked curve track w-i-d-e radius? I saw some Riggen stuff, all flat. But seller said would work with old Revell.

We, I, did most of our racing on home tracks, didn't have local commercial tracks available. Still don't.

This got long ... any info regarding Revell like wide track would be welcome. My cars, some 50 of them ... some kit cars, some scratch built ... are older than many readers here, are US style, thus the "larger" 1/32 size, some are 6 inches long. Therefore, I will need the wider track. I also remember that F-1 style cars also worked better on the wider track.

Yep, I packed them all away in vacuum sealed bags ... like the TV kitchen ads show. Haven't rouched them in decades. Dug a few out, they need tires, but run and are in great shape after all this time. Anyway . . .

Thanking you in advance for help . . .

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey old new guy - welcome to the forum. I can't necessarily help being a scaley boy from a kid (and hence using SCX nowadays) but there's a heap of people that probably can help.. hell they help me & that takes some doing

Sounds like you need to take soem time with the digital camera and show us the goodies you have hidden away - we'll salivate pavlovianlylike in all likelyhood.

cheers!

Eno the Wonderdog Esq.

#3 ·
TRY THIS one of our members is selling this huge revell raceway and he has since posted that heis splitting into lots

For sale: 4 lane 240 foot Revell track complete with aprons to run 1/24th
scale cars. 30 amp, 0-15V variable power supply, Gateway 166 MHz Pentium
I computer w/ LapTimer 2000 software for timing, and tons of custom made
billet aluminum bridge supports. Looks like I'm getting a divorce and the track
has to go. I think it is the largest privately owned track in the world. If you're
interested, e-mail me at: RacerXtreme@Hotmail.com. There are photos up on Slot Forum under member's layouts. It's taken me 14 years to find and assemble this layout, I'm gonna hate to see it go. May split it up into 2 or 3 piles and put it up on Ebay. Got $2500 bucks invested in it. I want $1100 for everything.

c-ya

Guy

#6 ·
Some followup . . .

Appreciate the replies ... as well as encouragement.

Anyone know of a good track and accessories store in Milwaukee, Wisconsin? I'm out of Madison, zippo around here as it was years ago. I understand there is one there, thought someone here would know about them. TP number, address . . .

I buy regular car stuff [the bigger toys] online as well as offline. But still helps "seeing & touching" stuff, then deciding where to buy it. Especially since it has been awhile for slot cars, I need to get reoriented again.

I do remember when things went "nuts" and slot racecar prices and accessories went sky high. At the time was one reason I decided to back off from the hobby. Was too competitive, thus got too expensive.

I digress . . .

Thanks for the Carrera track info.

I'm trying to reach the guy with the 1/24th Revell.

I have a new thread about "Sources, Cars & Accessories." Please see and respond in kind.

Thanking you in advance . . .

#8 ·
I bought about 200 feet of Revell off ebay about 3 years ago.It cost me about the same as buying modern track at retail prices.

If you have Revell already,I would,I would stick to that.It is available every day on Ebay at reasonable prices.

It is smoother(Less bumpy at the joints) and gripier than any modern track,including Carrera.

#9 ·
Welcome to Slot Forum and welcome back to slot car racing!

The Revell track you have is excellent! It is indeed wider than some tracks such as Artin and Scalextric Sport. The Revell track was sized for 1/24th scale cars (just as the Carrera) so the lane spacing is wider and the track is wider too. The Revell track has a brilliant design (that appears to be copied by Artin & Carrera) to the pieces that allows almost any track desired to be made out of only five pieces of track!

There is a lot of used Revell track available. EBay is a good source and the Chicago Slot Ca Swap meet in two weeks should also be another good source.
Riggen track is being made today with the molds from Revell but not all of the pieces are being produced, such as banked turns. Also it is made in black but can be easily painted. The most difficult piece of track to find is the 1/2 standard turn.

Carrera is similar to Revell but has more track pieces available, such as big banked curves. Also Carrera uses stainless steel for the power rails which I think is a huge improvement for a basement track like I have.

You will also need to contact Professor Motor (www.ProfessorMotor.com) for replacement tires for your old cars. I would be surprised if you have more than two cars he does NOT have tires for.

#10 ·
Eno Dog, PAULH, vfr750, ProfFate, PeteN, bwaminispeed, RMMseven . . .

Thanks for all the advice guys ... is becoming a real "hoot" looking at all the webistes, reading replies, and such. Saw an old [new in box] Mclaren MK II ... exactly like mine of many years ago ... still have mine. They sure wanted a lot for it ... but sure it's worth it.

Loved Can Am cars big time back then, Lolas, Mclarens, Chapperals, ya know the 'merican V-8 stuff. That all ended when Porsche went ballistic with the turbo cars, 1,100 - 1,400 hundred horsepower. They ... not unlike slots did, made the price of admission too high for many teams which did not have manufacturer backing.

Anyway , Paul, waiting for Extreme to reply. Went to eBay, no banked stuff presently ... that's what I need. Found some of mine is warped, probably heat, not sure.

Might consider Carrera [vfr750], even though many here say good 'ol Revell 1/24 is actually better [bwaminispeed, RMMseven, ProfFate], unreal.

PeteN, thanks for heads up on the Milwaukee shop ... will go there, maybe tomorrow if the S.O. will "let" me. She thinks I'm nuts and regressed into my third childhood ... perhaps, perhaps not. Seems in some areas I've never grown up. So, I am anticipating. Just need to slow down and decide Revell 1/24 or to go new Carrera, would not have to mess with getting 18 volts then.

Eno dog, like your attitude too ... seems guys here are similar to those I deal with in the bigger toy area. Funny, since I live in winter climate the bigger toys get put away ... to sleep all winter long. Timing is great, since now the scale cars can afford replacement time during that time and likely beyond.

Anyway ... have placed my hands on some of my vintage cars and the "feel" is back. I'm hooked again, reading your posts, going over umpteen websites and so forth. I was a pretty decent scratch builder at one time, fabricated working "coil overs" on front & rear independent suspensions, complete with dampers, steering, and so forth.

Thanks again . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.