SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Here are the latest pics from my 1/43rd wood track, hanging from ceiling of the garage:

the turns got named:
turn 1 - the big bend - going uphill, hanging to inside
turn 2 - Hundskurve 1 - starting high, hanging to the inside, very tightening radius, ending low, a place for good brakes.
turn 3 - Hundskurve 2 - the flat part of the track, after the full throttle through the big sweeper, the cars arrive here with fully applied brakes.
turn 4 - old name was H3, but will be renamed to ASCW-corner - starting with a tight radius, but getting bigger and bigger, slowly apply throttle around here to get out fast
turn 5 - S1 - the start of the Esses - hanging to the inside again - fast cars go through with applied throttle.
turn 6 - S2 - hanging to the inside again - so the cars are shaken from the left to the right and to the flat again. A short lifting of the throttle makes you faster here.
turn 7 - puddle dude´s residence, the start of this 270° corner is flat, rising around 3 and 1/2", the middle part is hanging to the outside, the exit is flat again, allowing a short shot of fully applied throttle.
turn 8 - broken guides corner - the sharpest turn for the outside lane around the track - a 1 and 1/2" turn.
turn 9 - Ranch-Design corner - the sharpest turn for the inside lane, 2", hanging to the outside, go slow here
turn 10 - Marchand turn - again a tight turn for the outside lane, the exit to the slow esses.
turn 11 - SCX hairpin - the inside lane has to handle a 2 and 1/2" turn, the outside lane goes wide, hanging to the inside again, try to get a short line here for a fast laptime, track is falling between turn 11 to turn 12 from 2" to zero elevation.
turn 12 - Artin elbow - an opening turn, hanging to the inside leading out onto the long straight, 17 ft straight ahead, with a 1 and 1/2" dip in the last third

after 2 and 1/2 buckets of wood mache, it was time to apply some colors, acrylic, wall color and poster color.
here are the results, one 3 spots have still to be painted, the transitions from the cayon to the graslands

cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the kind words!

The Minis are Carrera Go!, the Porsches are SCX compact, GT40 are H0 scale Tomy SRT, the minis are 1/32nd Scaley, the rest of the cars are scratchbuilt

Peter

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
QUOTE (pfuetze @ 29 Oct 2011, 05:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cheers,
Peter

I am really intrigued by both your controller holders and the "cableing" to hoist the track.

Would you give us a close up of the former and an explanation of your lifting mechanism?

You may want to add your controller holders to the thread on this topic.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The controller holders are simple "tool holder clamps" from a cheap package of clamps/holders from the next DIY-store.
Work great.

the lifting:

The track is hanging from ceiling, on 6 pcs. 8mm nylon rope. It´s lifted by an old winch, which i got in exchange for an old navigation system. The winch is designed for 300 kg, the track is built light, also the scenery, with papermache and woodmache, to keep it light.
The rope is fixed to the ceiling and running through a roller fixed to the track and than to a roller fixed to the ceiling. All the ropes on the ceiling are heading to one point where they are rerouted to the winch. You may ask - why not directly to the winch? Because in this way, the track would go up on one side faster than on the other side. Therefor the extra redirection of the ropes is needed.

here´s a link to all the photos from the building of the track, if anyone´s interested: track building photos

cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
WOW!
That is a work of art indeed!

Many thanks for the details.
Any reason for the double pulleys (ceiling to track to ceiling) rather than just through one pulley to the track at each lift point?
I see the ceiling pulleys for balancing the lifting from the main cable on the winch, but yours is the first I have seen with the double pulley lift anchored to the ceiling.

It is interesting when it comes to tool holders. Ones that are "common" in one area and harder than hens teeth to find in another.
I just found ones that JamieG used sold locally under a different name (imported from Sweden) after many months of searching. (Check out the link to the holders below... you may wish to add yours!)

Again, many thanks for sharing.
Cheers!

EDIT: Just looked at your photo link.... I see a custom built circuit board... is this for the timing or for something else? I am curious but will be using SSDC to do my timing etc.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the double pulley is only there to reduce the force in the rope to the half. The rollers fixed to the ceiling have a weight limit of 60kg. They can cope with the half weight better than with the full weight. With the half force in the rope, also the rollers only have to cope with the half force.

The circuit board is a signal lenghtening circuit with NE555 timer chips. The timing is done with an Infrared light brigge across the slot, detecting the SlideGuides / guide pin. The signal from the guides is sometimes way to short to be detected by the parallel port of the PC. Therefore the circuit board with the signal lengthening. I´m doing my timing with Laptimer2000 via the parallel port. The IR light bridge is a combined emitter/detector, type CNY37.

cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Thanks, Peter.

I see how the pulley arrangement works now.... the more the pulleys, the less work each does, right? (Read that in some article about blocks and tackles for lifting things.)

Not sure I follow the NE555 timer chip usage. I thought these were used to send pulses when tripped so do not understand how you are using them. That is OK, as I am using something different.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sealevel, the NE555 has a few different applications. The one i´m using is that no matter what length the input signal is, the output signal has the same (longer) length. For example the input signal lasts for 0.2 milliseconds, the output signal will last 1 second. or the input signal lasts for 0.3 second, the output signal will also last for 1 second (preset by capacitor and resistor, can be varied). in this way i can be sure that the parallel part gets the signal from the light bridge.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Got it. Very clever.

Too bad there is not an "Electronics for Dummies" out there that addresses small circuit applications like this.

It has been decades since my last electronics class so I am relearning as I read the posts on this forum. Plus they got rid of the vacuum tubes and logic modules and downplay the transistors of my day!

Cheers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts