SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The climax of the first season of HO slot car racing in Worthing has come around very quickly.

And it is quite a climax, with John and Dave battling it out for the club championship and the Rookie of the Year prize. John has the upper hand by 55 points in the former and just 3 points in the latter.

The F1 championship is also going to the wire with Dave leading Andy by 35 points and John another 50 points behind, ready to pick up the pieces.

I understand that Dave has stripped down and re-built his Tyco and John is busy fettling one of his Mega-Gs for the big showdown. And there are rumours that Andy will be giving his Super-G another run-out. But this might just be smoke and mirrors. Abu Dhabi will be nothing on this

In case you need reminding, the rules for this 'stock' class are here. If you run a Tyco or Tomy Turbo you can run silicone rear tyres. Anything else must run on stock rubber tyres. All other parts must be 'stock'. Any questions - email us or post a question here.

We hope to welcome David Chapman, a former mayor of Worthing and now chair of Worthing Community Partnership, to present the trophies after the action. So don't miss it (especially if you've come in the top three of a championship), it'll be quite a night.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
My Tyco I think.

My MG on stock tyres (if I even have any) will be something of a handful I suspect.

But I am just there to help you guys celebrate a great year.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Looks good.

The key to a good lap will be carrying good speed out of two all the way to 7, then patience grasshopper through the next section

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David Chapman has confirmed he is coming along to hand out prizes on 1st December. David is chairman of the Worthing Community Partnership, a local fundraising body that supported our club's start-up costs.

Along with David, we have two other people coming along who both really helped us set up the club a year ago - Victoria from the Worthing EESI project and Deane from EAHORC.

It's a fitting way to end our first year when we've had sixty racers through the door - averaging nineteen per event - and fourteen different medal winners so far.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
That high number of different medal winners is one highlight in amongst many things you guys can be proud of.

Bofore the end of year meeting, WHO has the small matter of battling once more with FLBT at National level.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If we have another medal winner on December 1st - and we will have at least one 'useful' racer visiting - it could make the championships even more complicated than they already are...

Who needs to do what?

If Dave finishes ahead of Andy and John, he wins F1. If Andy wins and Dave comes second, Dave still wins it. A bigger gap than 35 points and Andy is in the hunt, so long as he finishes at least 3rd - because if John wins the race and Andy is 4th or worse and Dave is 6th or lower, John wins the championship

As for the overall championship - it's between John and Dave. John simply needs to finish in front of Dave to clinch it. However, John can still finish behind Dave and win, as long at he concedes no more than 50 points. So, Dave 1st with John 2nd would give the championship to John. But if Dave wins and John finishes no higher than 4th, Dave snatches the trophy out of John's hands.

John's slender lead in the Rookie of the Year competition will disappear if Dave finishes as top rookie and John finishes as 4th rookie or lower - points will be equal, but Dave will have one more rookie win. If Dave finishes as second rookie, he will have to put an extra rookie between him and John. Deane and Andy (and Robin if he races) don't count as rookies, so Dave can't count on them to finish between him and John in this competition. Confused?

Ten days to go - and the pressure is on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Confused your not kidding,this is too much stress for an old boy!!! I am sure it will be a good evening whoever wins I shall be well stocked with tissues.What a great climax to a very successful first season and well done to both Andy and Robin for organising and running what has become a very sucessful and enjoyable club.Take a bow lads.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With Deane visiting, I'm looking at borrowing this from him:

It's a custom-built 21-inch hairpin:

I reckon it will go either at turn #1 or replace turns #9 and #10.

It's made by the same guy (Brad Bowman) and is made out of the same materials as the Le Mans circuit at Derby.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Bear in mind it has yellow as the outside lane, and can only be used as a 'U'.

You are welcome to take it away on Sunday afternoon...

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 21 inch curve is now in Worthing, ready for Wednesday.

The timing system is fixed.

The 2010 F1 club cars are ready for their final outing.

And all the championship trophies will be polished this evening

So, in 36 hours time, the heats will be over and the finals will be starting - I can't wait

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I'm not as concerned about the current snow, as the road users. Locally, nothing has been gritted again and so the nervous-nellies are doing 5mph even in a straight line. The traffic is horrible, and my lad phoned to say the main road between Wickford and Chelmsford had no grit.

That makes me wonder what the Wickford to London road will be like, and dare I say it even the M25. I know we are not a 'snow country' but nonetheless one would hope we would be better than this by now.

So, I hope to be there tomorrow, but....

Check the Brad Curve to make sure you have all 32 pieces of copper.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We certainly didn't expect snow on 1 December when we decided our 2010 race schedule
There is a light 'dusting' forecast for Worthing tomorrow, but that should be no problem and the race will go ahead.

Of course, racers travelling long distances will have difficult decisions to make. We have a full 2011 calendar (and some possible additional dates) so if you miss out this month, there is plenty to look forward to next year

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

A fantastic nineteen racers risked being snowed-in with an HO race track (quelle horreur!) and took part in the WHO Racing championship showdown last night.

Winners on the night were Darren McHarg and Will Baker.

Dave Pritchard drove perfectly to win the F1 championship, but could not quite haul in John Ferrigno for the club championship or the Rookie of the Year award.

Former Worthing mayor David Chapman handed out trophies and certificates to the top three in all the championships.

A race report, video and more photos to follow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts