SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
I recently found my old Tomy AFX sets (Jaguar and Vertigo) in my parents attic from the early 90's. I am mid build of a 12ft x 4ft fold down track. Is there anything I need to be mindful of with a fold down track that you can pre warn me about? As well as being hinged on 2"x4" wood it's going to be removable by lifting it off the fixings. I need to add another leg support in the middle as the span is too much for just 2. I am going to put 1/2 inch plywood on top and 1/4inch underneath.

Attachments

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I thoroughly recommend using silicone sealant or similar to fix your track to the table. If you are going for a permanent layout that is. It holds it in place without damaging the track and you rip it up when you do fancy a change. I went with screws and then painted the surface of my first permanent track. It basically wrecked the track pieces.

6mm corkboard works well as kerbing if you want to run cars that are tail happy. You will need to paint it with striping though to get the look.

If you want to upgrade the power supplies and controllers then I use laptop power supplies and I would recommend Parma Eco or DS controllers.

That's probably info overload!

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers

Gareth

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Things are progressing with the project. Any tips on track design, I am struggling to get a complete track design without a small gap? I am using Ultimate Racer 3.0 and have a decent array of track stock but lacking 6" curves so am looking at getting an order in for that but in the mean time I am struggling. (Any UK stockists with 6" curves or 6" straights, get in touch. I am looking for potentially 10 of each, used or new could you message me)

Attachments

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Don't worry about the small gap. It's always there with the track designer but you won't see it in real life.

Diagonal straights are nice but they eat up a lot of table space. Why not try as a start an oval but then loop both ends inwards and then have loop again for inside straight. It's a very basic design but it will give you two longish straights and move you towards an equalised track.

In terms of cars that will work best, maybe run some Tomy Turbos or even look at Magnatractions and Tjets.

Lots of corners look good but I personally don't think they add much to the driving experience. If you aren't changing throttle position then those wiggles actually become a bit boring to drive.

P.s. the table looks fantastic. Well done.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I have my eyes set on the Glendale 50:| http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/Layouts.html#4x12, what are your thoughts on that track?

I painted the border and jigsawed the sections closest to the wall so it now sites flush against the wall when it's folded up. In this weather (in Swansea, UK) the paint is taking at least 5-6 days to try properly so limited what i can do at the moment. Next paint jobs i want to chequer flag the white outwards facing sections.

Attachments

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Greg's site is great for those designs and that track looks good. You could still modify it and make the straights longer. The two chicanes on the middle straights could be moved onto the 180 degree bends. And similarly the left/right bridge bends could be moved to the top corner. That would give you the most time going fast and make the track potentially a little more fun. Worth trying both ways to see what you think.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Attachments

· Registered
286 Posts
I do like the projector idea, you could use a white sheet as screen as a tempory measure.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers, I did initially go down that route and bought the sheet as well but ended up getting 5mm MDF and painting it white. I now need to mount it on the wall. As you an see the projector is faint but its mostly to do with lighting which Im working on as my garage strip lights are very bright.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.