SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
First complete digital sets arrived here yesterday, we have had no pre-orders. A customer walked in late afternoon I explained that they had 'just' come in, liked the look of what he saw and walked out with a lighter wallet!

I have urged him to come back to us with his initial views on it.

Terry

·
Registered
21 Posts
My first post

I've been interested in slot cars since an early age, then the faze died and resurfaced about 6 years ago much to my wifes annoyance.

In that time I've been collecting the rare Scalextric models primarily from ebay and an excellent shop near where I live that stocked early eighties BMW's, Minis etc........

Needless to say I snapped up virtually every model they stocked. I have since then kept my eye on the industry and placed an order for my Scalextric digital track (the complete set) for £139 from slotcity.co.uk I'm now patiently awaiting delivery and I'm strarting on the base for my first permanent track (digital of course) in my refurbished loft.

I then found this place which is great, it's given me some new ideas on the build of the base board, scenery and scratch building. I look forward to sharing my track build with everyone and hope to pick up some valuable tips.

Cheers, see you later

5erge (or Des if you prefer:) )

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
No pre-orders at GC?? I am surprised.

Push comes to shove very soon and we will get a better idea of how the future landscape of our hobby might look.

My money is still on these gizmos ending up either in the loft (but in the box) or on Ebay come January - always assuming they leave the shelves in the first place.

Welcome aboard, 5erge, valuable tips we can do aplenty.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
great find of an article! And Ferraris due in september...

Are there any figures for how many standard sets they sold last christmas? 15,000 sounds like a lot, but numbers are most misleading when they are out of context.

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 13 Nov 2004, 11:39)No pre-orders at CC?? I am surprised.

Are you? With the amount of sceptism of this product, we have not had one person place a firm order in advance. However we have just sold a second set here this morning, so we wait with baited breath to see if the digital revolution is about to happen!

Terry

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
sets - especially at christmas time - sounds like not the sort of thing that gets preordered. You sort of assume the shelves will be full of them, and if they end up not out for christmas, you may wish to choose a different present.

I am not in the slot retail business - so thats just speculation, but thats the way it seems to me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am very happy with my current slot car system and I'm sure most on this and other message forums feel the same way. However I feel that the digital systems will be something that will add to our hobby. It will take some time. I think this will slowly enter into our hobby.

I have had extensive experience with a home made "digital" style system with two cars on each of four lanes and it is adds a lot to our racing. This is a huge track so there was plenty of room for all of these cars.

Since I show our hobby to many beginners I am concerned that the learning curve will turn many people off. There are a lot of beginners that have trouble learning to negotiate curves on an oval with no lane changing! (Hence the saying: " the curves are the hard part").

·
Registered
522 Posts
Its here to stay.

Because you can run 4-6 cars, the logical upgrade is to buy a few more cars before getting bored with it. That means more profit.

And digital slots just upped the ante on console video games because you can have groups of people playing at the same time.

Im pretty excited about digital, sclectric or otherwise. And YES, it solves one of my own personal disatisfaction with the hobby. Now slots can be a SOCIAL activity without requiring a huge 4-lane club track.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Its here to stay.

Because you can run 4-6 cars, the logical upgrade is to buy a few more cars before getting bored with it. That means more profit.

And digital slots just upped the ante on console video games because you can have groups of people playing at the same time.

Im pretty excited about digital, sclectric or otherwise. And YES, it solves one of my own personal disatisfaction with the hobby. Now slots can be a SOCIAL activity without requiring a huge 4-lane club track.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Gaugemaster Controls @ 13 Nov 2004, 14:30)... With the amount of sceptism of this product...

Who's sceptical? I'm not.

I can't wait and I tell you its not a punky little track I'm after but a track that has about 10 LC pieces at least that forces you to change lanes to take the best line and make the best times for the circuit. A standard set doesn't' challenge the drivers and you can just stay in your lane to win.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It's interesting to look at the numbers quoted in the Independent's article.

£150 a set x 15,000 sets grosses £2,250,000.
£1,500,000 purely for advertising these sets doesn't leave much to cover anything else.
It isn't quite that simple of course, but they are still interesting figures.
I guess they are hoping that the massive advertising spend will also help to sell a few digital sets after Christmas too, but it will take rather a lot of them to cover that £1.5M.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have been interested in the digital track and have been thinking of building a new track with exsisting Classic Scalextric and new digital corners, but every track plan I devise would require me to purchase a lot of conversion connectors to get the corners in. When I add it all up, its a lot of money any way you look at it! It is almost like I am starting over when you consider the cost involved.
Granted I could scale down my track plans a tad. But it still bites into the ol' pocket book, which means less cars, scenary, spectators, buildings, etc.

Zippidee

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I'm not sure of current prices but last time I checked, the Classic/Sport adapters were the cheapest (new) track I could buy. I seem to recall that it made economic sense to make all straights from pairs of these half straight adapters rather than using full length pieces!

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (Tropi @ 13 Nov 2004, 14:19)I seem to recall that it made economic sense to make all straights from pairs of these half straight adapters rather than using full length pieces!

Actually, if I want to add the new OUTER OUTER curves to my track, It probably does make more sense! I don't know how I am going to explain this on my Christmas list.

Zip

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If I was a slot car manufacturer, I would see digital mainly as a way to reach sectors of the market that presently won't look twice at slot cars (even though they might enjoy it if they tried).

I would set my market research team to work and treat it as a new product altogether, to make sure people took a fresh look at digital. My hopes would be (depending on market research findings) that this could have a massive impact on the size of the market.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
What's not to be sceptical about?

You have to chip (£9.99 a pop) your old cars and drill holes in them to play the new game; you have to have a half straight before your lane-changer; you have to change lane on a curve only; you only change lane one way at each lane-changer; the set has the cheap and nasty Porker and TT in it but costs £150.

White elephant, I tell ya'.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE And digital slots just upped the ante on console video games because you can have groups of people playing at the same time.

IMHO 3 cars would've been better as per SCX (it was a laugh to race 2 other people immediately) rather than feel the need to upgrade straight away. You then see/feel the real benefit of purchasing Digital over conventional systems straight away.

Jamie

·
Registered
511 Posts
"The new Scalextric Digital system has finally arrived and as expected, demand is outstripping supply. We have sold all of our initial allocation but we expect to have more any time now. If you do want one for Christmas, we advise that you order early. Hornby have warned us that supply this side of Christmas is going to be short."

[email protected] - This week.... 12/11/04

·
Registered
511 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 13 Nov 2004, 11:39)My money is still on these gizmos ending up either in the loft (but in the box) or on Ebay come January - always assuming they leave the shelves in the first place.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The whole freakin world is digital! CD, DVD, ATM hole in wall, iTunes Music Store, iPod, Digital Cable, digital cameras (Ilford R.I.P)... our lives are digital now. Why in heavens name would slot cars buck the trend? How could they?

No way is Scalextric going to give up on this. I'll eat my hat and yours too if within a few years every Scalextric set in their product line isn't digital. There's simply no reason for them not to do this and it looks like SCX, Ninco and Carerra will follow suit. The problem for SCX and Carrera is they made their digital systems backwards incompatible. (Ninco is unlikely to make that mistake now its seen what Scalextric have done.)

Out of the box, a digital system works just like an analog one - you squeeze the trigger, the car moves faster. Take out the lane change pieces and there's no difference... oh, ok, one difference.. I don't have to puzzle out which lane to put my car back on when it comes off... advantage? digital.

The biggest disadvantage (for the consumer) looming on the digital horizon is the compatibility wars. Unlike analog, every manufacturers system will be incompatible with the other's. For the manufacturer this is an advantage because they get to lock you into their products.

Scalextric have been very, very clever. By keeping the cars and track backwards compatible they allow the consumer to buy any manufacturer's car, then chip it for a paltry £9.99, which means that Hornby get money whenever you buy a non-Hornby car! But here's the rub... SCX and Carrera have come out with systems that require special system specific cars (and in SCX's case new track)... I have a feeling you won't be able to put a Scalextric chip in an SCX Digital car (say).. so not only do Scalextric make money every time you buy a Team Slot or an AutoArt or whatever, they also potentially take sales away from those manufacturers that make competing track systems whilst keeping the car only manufacturers sweet! Somebody's getting a fat pay bonus.

Digital is here to stay or I'm a product of 'intelligent design.'

1 - 20 of 22 Posts