SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Just to summarise for other forum readers...

The challenge here is that the microcontroller has failed on an SSD decoder rendering it useless. As we know, ICP firmware cannot be used for any commercial purposes whatsoever. However ICP v4.0.1 can be loaded onto a Scalextric/Hornby manufactured decoder. Hence the plan here is to attach a replacement new Microchip manufactured 16F630 I/ST microcontroller in place of the failed one... then to flash with ICP firmware. I consider this a one-out/one-in strategy... dead microcontroller out and new one in. Given that Hornby do not, to the best of my knowledge, sell replacement microcontrollers or offer a repair service I believe this is a legitimate way of maintaining functionality of old decoders. Does anyone have legitimate concerns?

c

·
ParrotGod
9,856 Posts
I do not see any issue at all. Even if the chip was one put together by someone and wanted to have a firmware to run it, I would not have any problem as long as it is not for commercial use meaning that same person is not going to sell these chips.

For the rest, I think should be Ian Harding's (if I remember his name correctly) concern in case. But giving that he has not been active for ages it might be the case that he does not care anymore.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to confirm. This is purely a learning exercise that will keep me occupied during Covid. I am retired and have absolutely no interest in attempting commercial gain from this project. Quite the opposite, by the time I have bought the PICKit and chips it will represent a loss - in financial terms at least. I respect intellectual property rights at all times.

Do I go for the I/EST or the E/EST option?

Thanks.

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Hi Slotterkeith, the standard parts are I/ST. E/ST has an extended temperature range mainly for automotive and industrial use so not really needed for our tame little model cars. I have good results in my slot car projects with the standard I/ST variant.

c

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Just checked the Mouser site:

PIC16F630T-I/ST are parts cut from a tape reel then packaged in an antistatic bag.
PIC16F630-I/ST are supplied in an anitstatic tube.

Either is fine :thumbsup:

c

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked the Mouser site:
PIC16F630T-I/ST are parts cut from a tape reel then packaged in an antistatic bag.
PIC16F630-I/ST are supplied in an anitstatic tube.
Either is fine :thumbsup:
c
You know what I am going to say DrC. ... 'Thanks'!
(My PICKit has arrived.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts