SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi,

This is my latest creation a Darracq 200Hp.
The model is complete scratch build out of brass.
The only things that where bought are the wheels, they where made by Peter Seager Thomas, superb material.
The figures are from JP Products, the resin WW1 English and German pilot, of course they where altered to fit as driver and mechanic
The Gide is from Scalextric and the gear from SCX.

The Darracq 1905 200Hp was speed record holder in Europe and the US and was at it's time the fastest vehicle on earth, faster then any train or airplane. It went almost 200 Km H.
Darracq was the grandfather from Opel (Vauxhall), Alfa Romeo, Talbot, Sunbeam and a few more. The owner of the company Alexandre Darracq sold his company in 1914 and was split up into all these brands. So it's a piace of real European car history.

I hope joy enjoy the build.

Cheers,
Danny

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Totally jawdroppingly awesome!

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
That is awesome ,i can smell the Castrol R just looking at it
It would be nice if we had a step by step build as there is such a ;lot to take in

Cheers tony

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Fantastic piece of work but i wouldn't have the patience with all the fiddly bits.(or the eyesight)

·
Registered
229 Posts
QUOTE (superhornets @ 18 Sep 2012, 15:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...It would be nice if we had a step by step build as there is such a ;lot to take in...
Thanks you all for the appreciation.
@Tony & Jaak
This time I didn't take many pictures during the build, but here are a few unpainted versions.

The real car than and now

Cheers,
Danny

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Danny, splendid work!
and thanks for sharing. An inspiration to the rest of us.

With regards the wheels, I've thought about relying on spokes for strength but always changed my mind as in a crash I'm not sure the hub would still be in the middle of the wheel
How do your wheels perform?

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,612 Posts
A superb choice of vehicle and a wonderful job in replicating it. 1:32 or 1:24, the details are amazing, ignition thingy on the steering column is awesome.

Kind regards, Leo

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (MAF @ 18 Sep 2012, 19:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With regards the wheels, I've thought about relying on spokes for strength but always changed my mind as in a crash I'm not sure the hub would still be in the middle of the wheel
How do your wheels perform?
Hi Marlon,
Don't use any of those inserts you can buy in model shops. The metal is not suited to make open rims with.
I had to find out the hard way on this build. This is what happened after two day of work.

Thank God, came Peter to my rescue with his newly developed wheel, just in time.
Peter uses a hart metal, you better ask him for detail, but it comes down to, that you even you can solder the inserts to the wheel hub making the hole thing strong.
Although you can build a very strong wheel, you always have to be more careful of course than a solid alu rim. As Peter would say "these are no wheels for somebody who is not worried that mirrors and screens fly of the model during a race.", or something in that sense

But from the test that I've done, all I have to say, they run like any other good wheel.

In my eyes Peter's wheels are of super qualety, to me he's the master in wheel making, you can't find anything better.

I hope tis answer you question Marlon

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Wow! I was thinking what a GREAT model. I'd completely forgotten you had to get a power train in there. It's only when I saw the side view of the car partially built that it sunk in! My god - of course you've had to do all the great modelling AND be creative about how you fitted a motor in there too! Wow! WOW!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Wow what a Fantastic build abolutly stunning well done the detail is superb, I saw this car reccently at Prescott Hilclimb La Vie En Bleu meet, it was one of the stars of the show ! In action its a beast of a car i cant imagine how brave they must of been driving it back in 1905. Again congratulations on a fantastic job

Prescott Hillclimb Darracq 200hp by matra2011, on Flickr

Prescott Hillclimb Darracq 200hp 1905 by matra2011, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi Danny, I've had the same results as you in the past on that type of wheel. Great job on those and Peter has really done a great job on the wheel parts. Really excellent build and thanks again for posting, fantastic!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts