SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm building a Benley Blower 1930 from a old "Life like Hobby Kits" plastic model.
I started by fingering out how to convert it to a slot car. It's the first slot car I build. I've got quite a good knowledge of plastic model building but converting it into a slot car is an other thing. The problem is to make it toff enough to deal with the stress it will undergo on a slot track.
The main thing is to build a model so, that can come apart in two parts.
There was space enough to build in the electric motor. The only thing I hat to do was to make a frame to fit in the motor and gear.
The body hat to undergo sanding and engraving. Because plastic models and special the older ones have all the body lines sticking out. This has to do with the moulding process of a plastic model. In reality the lines where doors are should be inlaying lines. So these lines come of and are engraved. This has also an other advantige but I turn to this later.
The wheel rims can be used after some severe sanding and filling up with putty. The tires I bought from a French tire dealer and are so pose to fit on the Saclextric Bentley Blower model.
At the moment I'm preparing the first parts for airbrushing.
Anny way I will give some pictures how thing are standing now and I will publish the progress later on this topic.

That all for now folks

·
Prof I T
11,099 Posts
hi
i concur with the worm drive theory,but the bentley blower is a legend in its own right,hopefully it will be sprayed in brg.?

Best of luck with the build.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi 'Taz' ;-)

Looks really good, a properly nice car the blower Bentley.

When you post an update, try the Macro setting (its like a little flower symbol) on your camera, it means the upclose photos are sharper and in focus.

Regards
Jon

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
True Tom, worms were what was available, but were they either high ratios, i.e. small or maybe double start worms, or were they indeed slow? Never seen any reports of actual speeds.
Maybe early Model Maker magazines would give an idea.
The highest ratio worm I know of is about 18-1. With a double start worm that would be 9-1, which is getting near I suppose.
Of course two cars built the same, levels the boat, doesn't it? Could be ideal for hillclimb.

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hello there, thank you for sharing your work with us. I used a separate chassis for my build of the same car here.

Converting these kits to slot cars is not easy as its a case of deciding which detail to keep and which has to be modified or strengthened to make way for a slot car application so look forward to seeing more on this project.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Progress on the Bentley
Sorry Jon for the blurry photo's Ive made them with my handy, not much choice in camera setting. Any way I've done my best today for better quality.
I've been Quite busy with airbrushing the body parts and there is still a lot to do, but the car in beginning to give character.
Here are some pictures of my progress:

And Tim Birkin had also a look at his new Bentley although he has also to undergo some plastic surgery

Cheers

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Nice project - and now its taking shape.

I know why you went for the worm, so the motor fits under the cover and you can detail the seats. Well done.

I know someone who actually owns a real one of these!!!! The last time he use it he ran it up a bank and nearly turned it over to miss another car....

Andi

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I've been finishing the upper body part with driver Tim Birkin.
The technique I've used for painting the diver is something I picked up from the magazine "Railway Modeller". They did an article on painting figures back in 1999.
The technique comes down with starting to paint you figure Matt Black (Humbrol enamel). After the black is fully dry, you start to dry brush your figure with Winsor and Newton artist acrylic paint. The art is to dry brush your figure layer on layer, leaving the folds dark and work your way up to the lightest part. You do this technique also with the skin parts finley you accent buckles, glasses etc... See for your self, picture in the backgound is Sir Tim Birkin He won Le Mans in 1929 and was a member of the Bentley Boys.

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Hey,

That is a great looking driver,
i envy your skills there.

What did you do to make the grill and headlights look so Chrome like?

I bet this one is done it will be a stunner,
keep up the good works

·
Frank
612 Posts
Hi Nuvolare,

nice car you´ve built there

what size of brush did you use to make a so fantastic look of his face expression ?

Can you tell a little bit of your used methods please?

I´ve tried it a few times, but the results were allways on the lowest level

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The paint I've used for the chrome parts is "Alclad 2 super chrome". It's the first time I've used this paint and I was very pleased with it.
You can only use this paint with airbrush and is ready to use. But before you use it, you must airbrush your item with a gloss black paint, let it dry for 48H. I've used Humbrol enamel gloss black, but according to the information on the net, you also could use a gloss acrylic pain. Don't touch the item with you fingers after you've paint it black, use gloves. Apply Alclad in thin layers and you'll get a wonderful chrome. According to the manufacture you could leave your item like this in a finished stadium but with the results of test I did, it better to protect it with a gloss varnish.

The painting of the figure I described earlier. Start with a black figure and dry brush your way up layer on layer until the highest laying parts gets the lightest color. White is the most difficult color to do because you can't mix any white in to make it lighter. With colors you can. with white you can make your first layer of paint a little grey. But this is not really necessary because the artist paints are transparent and if you dry brush very thin layers. Acrylic artist paints must be used pure out of the tube don't use any water.
The brushes I use to dry brush are old very stiff brushes. Often cut the hairs back with scissors to get them very stiff.
I hope by this your question are answered.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today my first scratch build car Project was finished.

I'm very pleased with it's looks it runs fine on the slot track, but the speed is as expected not spectacular due to the worm wheel gear. But there's still the possibility to fit in a proper slot gear. I've learned a lot with this project and it will come definitely to it's benefit for future projects.
I hope you all like my attempt to build a slot car, there will be better ones coming for sure.
Here's the end result

THE END

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,216 Posts
A nice model of a well known car, it all looks like it has gone together pretty well.

Thanks for the details on the Alclad, I must try this.

The pictures are great, I will take note of your ideas.

I look forward to seeing future projects on the Forum.

Well done, Peter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts