SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
The winter season is coming, so slot car scratch building time is coming again. And let me assure you the season is very early this year.

I've started to build the blue 1934 René Dreyfus Bugatti nr.8 from the Monaco Grand Prix where this car finished as 3Th. Basis for this car is an old plastic Pyro kit. Later on I'm planning to build the red nr 18 Tazio Nuvolari Bugatti with the Matchbox kit as starting basis.
If you ask me, the Matchbox kit is for me the best from both of them. It has more detail and the are rubber tyres included.
My model has reached the stage of painting and finely fine detailing.
Here are a few pics, so you can have an idea what has been modified to the plastic model.

Thats all for now folks
, Cheers,
Danny

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Great work. Do you have a photo of the chassis by itself, or a few words describing it and the motor mount?
Rob J

·
Registered
973 Posts
That's fantastic - do you machine all your parts including transmission parts and filler caps? And where do your wheels come from? Keep the pictures coming

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
wow...delightfully, inspiring work!! I like how you combine newer bits (like those gorgeous wheels!) with old-style craftsmanship. Did you make that drop axle in the front? If so, I'd love to hear or see more about that.

looking forward to watching your progress!
John

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Rob J
There is not much more of the chassis to see than you do already with the picture you see above. The motor is mounted with two 2M Allen screws to the bras plate. What's new for me is the axle that I've used to connect the motor to the gear. I always have problems with vibrations due to the difficulty to aniline the motor to the rear axle, with a metal axle. It only takes a few micro millimeters to get vibrations. The solution I've come up with, is a Teflon axle, it has the ability to absorb all the vibration and giving it a smooth run.

@aerodynamic
Yes, I did machine all the parts including transmission parts, filler caps, the rims. The only things I've bought is the gear it self, it's an original Scalextrics gear. The spokes (inserts) and ball bearings mounted in the front wheels and the tyres, that come with the Matchbox kit.
I've got a hobby lathe and recently a milling machine (both not cnc) from Proxxon. These machines give me a lot of pleasure and possibilities. It's something that I would advice every scratchbuild modeler to buy at the long end, it creates lot of opportunities.

@John Cahill and nino barlini
The front axle is build like the real thing except that the whees don't turn for direction. Something that can be done with this system if wanted, but I don't see the point of it in 1/32 scale. The axle it self is made out of a 2mm full iron bar, bent to shape fixed with a self made shaft sleeves at each end, glued to the axle. In the front rims are small ball bearings inserted, where the axle fits into the shaft sleeve if the main axle and is secured with a 2mm Allen screw. This system gives you the look of the real Bugatti, were you see standing in front of it that the wheels stand in a slight V shape. What you can't see in the picture are the new solid bras made springs that replaced the plastic ones that you still see in the picture.

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update........
I've made the bonnet belts today. I always curse myself, when I make these belts, why did I sand away the belts from the plastic model, I ask myself, while my fingers are stuck together from superglue
. Bud when they are finished, all the misery is gone and I'm glad I did it. I find It gives the model an extra flair when it has real belts.

·
Frank
612 Posts
This belts are extrem fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

But isn´t it easier to make it my way?

as belt i use maskingtape, paint in the colour i need and some photoetched pieces?

so your fingers are not glued together with superglue

·
Registered
229 Posts
QUOTE (Frank T @ 9 Oct 2011, 00:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so your fingers are not glued together with superglue

Ah, Frank, and take away the excitement of superglue on my fingers, you don't want to take away all the fun

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And then there was a blue Bugatti...

I've just finisched the last details on the Bugatti, and I must say I'm quite pleased with the end result. Of course there are always things that could be improved next time, or done differently.
I used the Pyro plastic kit as a base (a old product of the Meccano group). Matchbox has produced the same type of car, but is structurally different to build and contains more accurate details. I would advice the Matchbox model over the Pyro one.
This doesn't mean the Pyro is a total waist, it just demand more scratch building for almost every small part attached to the body.
Here are some Pict's of the end result:

Cheers

Danny

·
re member
4,097 Posts
Great work.The driver is a sweety.

I have the matchbox model bought from MAF sitting in my projects box.
You have given me a high standard to emulate.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Very nice work Danny, I did the the very same car but used the PinkKar version for mine..

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Nicely done Danny! The detail work you added really brings the model to life. Thanks for sharing the progress pictures.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Great work Danny.
There aren't many who bother to show progress photos of proper projects like this on SF anymore so a big thankyou.

Do you think the front end might have rode slightly lower or is that just an affect of the photo angles?

How does it drive?

Cheers

Andi

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi guys, Sorry about the late answer.
@ Andy
-I think it's the angel Andy, it is not always simple to take photos. I worked with plans from blueprint.com to control and correct if necessary, unless the blueprint drawings are wrong

-It's the fastesed car I have at the moment, it runs very smooth and is very stable, I havn't been able to give it full trottel yet, because my test trac is to short

@Marlon
love your type of wethering,I'll keep that in mind.

Anyway Thank you all for the support and compliments, realy appriciate it
Cheers

Danny

1 - 19 of 19 Posts