SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,heres a 1934 Marklin rail racing set made in Germany. 2 sets were made ,a single & 2 lane version.The 2 lane set had a red & white car. The single lane set had only the red car. Because the single lane set was more common (because of the cheaper price) the white car is much more rare. Some say the car was an Alfa Romeo,some say it is a BMW.
There were at least 2 different drivers made for the cars. The metal bodied cars are 7 inches long so i think they are around 1/24th scale. I have 4 cars,1 white,3 red. They have zonkers in front & in the rear & electric lights. They are 20 volt motors,& the cars are quite heavy. I wish i had a 2 lane set. hint,hint
They also made a very rare lap counter which i also would like to find. The hill & bridge are made of wood & the track is of course metal. This set has been in my museum for around 8-9 years. I included a photo of the accessory paper poach as well. Hope you enjoy the photos,Bernard

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Bernard,
I don't think that the car is patterned after either an Alfa or a BMW. It is simply a generic style of the mid-1930's, like all other Marklin toys of the period. I have some large Marklin construction automobiles that some call "Horch" , but it could be lots of cars really!
They use the same hardware as on the rail-racing cars. Ours at the LASCM are in mint condition but have no drivers, so I am looking for repros.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

The two Marklin racers:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

A view onto the zonkers, of which invention was later claimed (and wrongly patented in the UK) by at least two British inventors in the early 1950's:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

The "Alfabmwwhatever" car could be anything:

Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Toy

Attachments

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Phillipe,you may be right. I have heard the cars called Alfas in the past & the grill looks like an Alfa Romeo grill. But i cant find an Alfa that looks like the Marklin car. Of course one would have to ask why the Germans would make an Italian car instead of a German car in 1934.
Perhaps the red car was Italian & the white car was German. It would be cheaper to do 2 different colors than 2 different bodies.
Phillipe give Karl at 41-307-0044 "the toy doc" for repro drivers for your 2 cars. Thanks,bernard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts