SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
All Auto Unions I know of are silver. It's called the Silver Arrow for a reason. But the photo's are all black and white. So I like to tease the guys in my club by saying hey look at that yellow one in the black and white photo.
innocent.gif

Then I saw this beautiful antique-white car in another black and white photo. Perfect!

Plastic Bathroom accessory Cylinder Cleanliness

Head Gas Art Lamp Automotive lighting

Bathroom accessory Plastic Cylinder Gadget

Tire Wheel Toy Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Household appliance accessory Tire Automotive tire Wood

Rectangle Plastic Wood Beige Metal

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Toy

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Sports equipment

Wood Sports equipment Skateboard Gas Skateboarding Equipment

Custom aluminum chassis. Professor Motor roller bearings, axles, and wire. BWMS050 motor with 10x24 gears. DArt wheels, tires, inserts, and body kit. Slot It guide and braid.

This was the first Auto Union Type C body kit completed from DArt Hobbies. A Beta kit you might call it. The kit came with the interior and driver as seen. Several builders after me have removed the bottom of the interior and installed a full driver and dashboard. The evolution of the kit you might say.

Thank you very kindly for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That looks like a very good repop of the Airfix Auto Union. I seem to be unique in considering it to be a Type B and not a C. Look at the longer nose and tail and the louvres on Trisha's Type C photo.

All Airfix Auto Unions were yellow.........

Mike

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Not a unique view, Mike. I tend to agree that Ken's car and the Airfix Auto-Unions more closely resemble the 1935 B-Type. The latter had a more vertical front end, and rounded tail than the C-Type that followed.

Pic below shows the sloping nose of the C-Type.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Although the Airfix Auto Union is listed as a 1946 car I have a feeling its based on this car which is a C type but doesn't appear to have the long tail, but it may be hidden by the rear wheel.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

By James Hamilton - photograph taken by my uncle., CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8686681

Donington Grand Prix, 1937. Rudolf Hasse driving an Auto Union.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I was not aware of the Auto Union type C before I bought this car. First time I saw it, I thought it was not all that nice looking (dare I say ugly). It has since grown on me.

You guys are more experts than I am. I just keep building and racing these cool cars...
smile.png

It won a race the first night out. The Auto Union earned it's keep.

Thanks a million for the photos and artwork!!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Although the Airfix Auto Union is listed as a 1946 car I have a feeling its based on this car which is a C type but doesn't appear to have the long tail, but it may be hidden by the rear wheel.

attachicon.gif
1024px-Auto_Union_Donington_1937.jpg

By James Hamilton - photograph taken by my uncle., CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8686681

That's a great photo which I hadn't seen before. It definitely looks like the Airfix car, which would maybe make it a good mate for the Airfix Mercedes W125.

Mike

·
Registered
276 Posts
I suppose it's a bit of a nit-pick, but I have one each of the 1936 AU and Mercedes in grey. They don't have "Airfix' on the bag headers, though, they just have "made by MRRC" so they date from after Airfix went bust and MRRC bought the slot racing section. Same tooling, though. They both have the later bodies with the keyhole guide and the clip in the middle of the bodies. But yes, initially yellow for the AU and white for the Merc.

I've spent hours recently looking at the Auto Union history, but unfortunately I can't get the copying of links to work on Slotforum.

A simple way of looking at it is that the basic shape of the bodies didn't change a massive amount through the A, B and C versions, it's just that the engines kept getting more powerful. They also had different body work (including the record chasing death trap streamliners) - so there are contemporary pics of C-Types both with and without the faring around the front axles. And also that although the C-Type appeared in 1936, AU didn't scrap all the B-types, and ran some of them in 1936.

It's a fairly common dilemma for scratch builders - to build as exact a replica of a particular car in a particular race as possible, which for a 1936 Auto Union could be quite a range of bodywork and of course the number of wheels - or just go for a generic look, such as Airfix's "1936 Auto Union". Without serious modification, the body is going to be "wrong" anyway, whether A, B or C, because the exhausts didn't come out through the louvres in the bodywork. The Pink Car models are much better representations, and I think mostly with particular cars accurately modelled; just a shame that they're so big. The Airfix versions are maybe a tiny bit too short, but the Pink Cars are nearer 1/30th than 1/32 and look massive beside the Airfix versions.

I also think that it's a true story that when the bodywork on one of the early Mercedes Benz cars was weighed, it went over the strict 750 kg weight limit so was stripped before the race to get the weight down. I don't know if the paint removed was white - Germany's designated colour at the time - or silver. There's an interesting post war parallel - there's an active thread at the moment about what colours Aston Martins are supposed to be, and someone posted a letter saying that a full primer/top coat would weigh 3 lbs, so a different approach was taken.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I never knew that, but just looked on ebay for Scalextric Auto Union and you are absolutely right, even down to the water cooling pipe on the right side front. But unless my eyes deceive me, the front end of the Scalextric/Pink Car version is rather more "upright" than the Airfix version....

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you very kindly for the compliment Stuckinthe60s.
smile.png

I can't take credit or blame for the design of the kit. It was fun to build. And it's fun to race.
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

attachicon.gif
1024px-Auto_Union_Donington_1937.jpg

I guess 1946 is a typo.

The C type was raced in 1936 and 37, the B type was raced in 1935. As is normal with racing cars, there's no such thing as a "standard" model, there were some variations between different cars and the same car was modified from race to race.,

Working out which one the Airfix model is supposed to be challenging. The Airfix one has fairings over the front suspension, low cockpit sides both sides, no exposed water pipe on the right of the cockpit.and no extra cooling slots around the main rad intake. None of the cars ever raced with that combination of features. It seems likley Airfix didn't have an adequate set of photos of the same car at he same race so what they made was a sort of mixture of different cars. The 1936 Tripoli GP looks about the nearest if you neglect the missing water pipe to the right of the cockpit (No 46 is Rosemeyer's C type on pole)
79edb1fe701f9b209a87a0a1595f5c71.jpg

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you very kindly for the photo 300SLR. I always appreciate admiring another off-white Auto Union. You can see it's white compared to the silver cars in the background and one the beside it, yes?
biggrin.png
innocent.gif

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
For those of you interested in the specifications and variations of the Auto Unions from type A to D, try this link;

www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/c3.htm

then click on "Cars(part 3) Auto Union"

In my opinion, Ken's model is not a "repop" but an actual Airfix C type. It has had the lower shell glued to the upper shall, and then the bottom cut out to take a chassis. In the photos of the interior of the body, the holes for mounting the driver, the fuel cap, and the mouning points are exactly the same as the Airfix model. I have an unused one in grey plastic.

The tail end of this body is too "blunt", it is too wide at the rear axle, and does not taper as it should.

The attached photo of the C type's tail shows this correctly.

Geoff T

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is an Airfix static kit that has been modified to be a slot car kit.
thumbsup.gif

D'Art Hobbies out of Toronto.

The kit is really sweet to build. The body only weighs 9-grams.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts