SlotForum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
These old GP cars look great, it would be brilliant if a RTR manufacturer made them next year. Policar maybe? I think they are better looking then the current F1 cars. They have an uncluttered simplicity of shape and function.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
For those of you interested in the specifications and variations of the Auto Unions from type A to D, try this link;

www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/c3.htm

then click on "Cars(part 3) Auto Union"

In my opinion, Ken's model is not a "repop" but an actual Airfix C type. It has had the lower shell glued to the upper shall, and then the bottom cut out to take a chassis. In the photos of the interior of the body, the holes for mounting the driver, the fuel cap, and the mouning points are exactly the same as the Airfix model. I have an unused one in grey plastic.

The tail end of this body is too "blunt", it is too wide at the rear axle, and does not taper as it should.

The attached photo of the C type's tail shows this correctly.

Geoff T
Geoff - I've never seen a grey one. All those I've seen have been yellow. There's been a thread on the Vintage &Collectable forum on the subject recently.

I agree with you about the blunt tail. That's why I thought it was actually a B Type even though Airfix called it a 1936, which would make it a C Type.

This is an Airfix static kit that has been modified to be a slot car kit.
thumbsup.gif

D'Art Hobbies out of Toronto.

The kit is really sweet to build. The body only weighs 9-grams.
Ken - the Airfix Auto Union was actually a slot car, dating from around 1964-1965. I did a very amateur repop myself, which you can find somewhere on this forum.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
We seem to be going round in circles here. I mentioned some links in my previous post on this page, but that I'm unable to add direct links. Geoff has now provided a non-active text link to one of them, but I didn't need to type it in because I have it as one of my saved links. Towards the end of the section on 1935, it says this: "For 1936 four old cars were retained (probably the "B" types) two to be rebuilt as reserve cars and two to hill climb cars"

None of the early Airfix cars, either ready to run or bagged body kits, ever said their Auto Union was a "C" type. They were labelled simply "1936 Auto Union" - no, more, no less - and the link quoted is fairly clear that the team had both "B" and "C" types at their disposal. Which, to be blunt, makes discussions about whether the tail is too blunt, or the nose too steep, for a "C" type, pretty pointless, especially as there are so many other errors - the most glaring being the way the exhausts come out through the louvres.

I already said that I too have a grey AU (and a Merc to match) - but although from the same tooling, they were marketed as MRRC products. No longer any mention of being "part of the Airfix group" - because by the time they came out, Airfix Group had gone pop, with the slot racing part having been bought by MRRC. Both are still clamshell, and both have the later "keyhole" bodyshell adaptations. I've only ever seen grey ones, but in the later years MRRC were doing all sorts of crazy colours with the old tooling - a metallic purple mini, among others.

I don't think that the D'Art bodyshell that Ken has done such a nice job on can be anything other than a repop. Yes, some bits are just the same but there are other missing bits. For the grey shell that Geoff is talking about, there should be a very prominent prong, about a centimetre behind the drivers cockpit, and extending well below the original join between the top and bottom halves, that engaged with a pair of little holes in the lower body shell - as well as two much less prominent mouldings that pressed down on the cube motor to keep it in place. There are other differences, too. If pressed, I'll post some pictures.

I get the impression that these shells are available from D'Art, I.e. Ken didn't get the only one? If so, that's a lot of fiddling with a lot of fairly uncommon bodyshells, when a simple repop of just one could provide as many as the market would bear?

My final input to this thread (unless anyone specifically asks for pictures of the interior body mouldings of my AU shells) is to say, not for the first time:

Do you want to model an accurate version of a particular car in a particular race? Then choose one, do a lot of research, and do the best you can to get the detail right, but I doubt the Airfix/MRRC model is the place to start.

Do you want a "that looks OK" model that captures the feel of the car, but isn't really accurate, then there a couple of "old" choices. The Scalextric (also Pink Car) "C" type is a much more accurate representation of 1936 cars in general than the Airfix - but it's 1/30th scale. I'm guessing now, but I wonder if the picture of the model that Geoff T is a George Turner shell?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would like to sincerely thank everyone for their positive input. I'm on a huge learning curve concerning the history of these cars.

I kinda like the "Flat Earth Society" thing actually even though Bugs Bunny clearly proved the earth to be round with a mere baseball.

I have too many cars to build to get stuck on the details of one car. I have other cars that are more my favorites. This car fills a gap since I needed four pre-war cars for this race and they can't all be the same. It's just one of several. The blue Bugatti T50B in the background beats my Auto Union... and everyone else's Auto Union too. *shrug*

I only own two of the cars below. The white type C in the front, and blue Bugatti T50B. The rest are owned by my fellow racers. I'm building an Auto Union type D, and a 1935 Alfa Romeo 8C next.
biggrin.png

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hello Primed.

Nope, I cannot take credit for the track. It's the main track for Scratch32 private racing club based out of Toronto. I race there once or twice a month with scratch-built cars.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
The Scalextric (also Pink Car) "C" type is a much more accurate representation of 1936 cars in general than the Airfix - but it's 1/30th scale
The Pink Kar and Airfix bodies are about the same size from the dashboard rearwards but the PK version has a nose which is about 10 mm too long. If the wheelbase or overall length are used to calculate the scale then it does appear to be about 1/30th but its not the whole story. Shorten the nose section and its much more accurate.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Auto part Font Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Seeing that beautiful collection, I can see why you wanted a white Auto Union! It fits right in, which is exactly what a good fantasy livery will do. Obviously not many Mercedes fans in the club, though. The Airfix Mercedes W125 is a very nice shape and would make a good addition to this field.

Im impressed at the bravery of whoever races the Prince Henry Vauxhall at the back of the pack
biggrin.png

Mike

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The Pink Kar and Airfix bodies are about the same size from the dashboard rearwards but the PK version has a nose which is about 10 mm too long. If the wheelbase or overall length are used to calculate the scale then it does appear to be about 1/30th but its not the whole story. Shorten the nose section and its much more accurate.

attachicon.gif
14935-1421004075.jpg
That's quite surprising to see. Thanks for the picture. I had always thought the Pink Kar was over-scale, too. Perhaps it's because of the big wheels and tyres they fitted? Is the Scalextric Auto Union the same shell as the Pink Kar? Does anyone make a resin version? (I already know about the Classic shell).

While I'm in 'questions' mode: I convinced myself from photos that 1935 Auto Union racers had black, not red, numbers. Does anyone know if this is right?

Mike

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Mike,

There are a lot of photo's of Auto Unions with red numbers on Google Images. But to me, the red numbers suit a white body for a fantasy livery.

Funny that you noticed that car among the group. My friend is very proud of his Prince Henry Vauxhall. He did a great job.
thumbsup.gif

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

Reactions: SplitRim

·
Registered
628 Posts
These old GP cars look great, it would be brilliant if a RTR manufacturer made them next year. Policar maybe? I think they are better looking then the current F1 cars. They have an uncluttered simplicity of shape and function.
La pregunta sería ¿hay mercado? y los fabricantes no creo que vieran un gran futuro para estos coches. Por otra parte, algunos modelos han estado comercializados y los que no han salido a la venta, surge de nuevo la pregunta...
¿Hay mercado?
Por ejemplo ¿para un Alfa Romeo 512 de 1940?

The question would be, is there a market? And the manufacturers don't think they saw a great future for these cars. On the other hand, some models have been marketed and those that have not gone on sale, the question arises again ...
Is there a market?
For example, for a 1940 Alfa Romeo 512?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
La pregunta sería ¿hay mercado? y los fabricantes no creo que vieran un gran futuro para estos coches. Por otra parte, algunos modelos han estado comercializados y los que no han salido a la venta, surge de nuevo la pregunta...
¿Hay mercado?
Por ejemplo ¿para un Alfa Romeo 512 de 1940?

The question would be, is there a market? And the manufacturers don't think they saw a great future for these cars. On the other hand, some models have been marketed and those that have not gone on sale, the question arises again ...
Is there a market?
For example, for a 1940 Alfa Romeo 512?

Creo que si hay mercado, pero limitado, Cartrix sería el mejor fabricante para este tipo de autos, habría que preguntarles...

I believe there is market, but límited, Cartrix would be the best brand for this type of cars, would have to ask them...

Cheers

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Frederic

Intuition tells me that there is still a market for these cars. There are many threads on this Forum devoted to them, and the response to each is most encouraging, especially for those of us who remain interested in pre War racing cars.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
R.I.P. Nick Mason of Pink Floyd. That's a great rock band. Thanks for posting that, Laurence.

I did not like this car at first. It took a while to warm up to the odd shape. But there's something exciting about the thought of a V-16 at your back that sends a shiver down it.

I would think most pre-war race cars are niche market. But what do I know?

Ken

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Concerning Auto Unions. I'm looking forward to the next letter in the alphabet. A future project.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts