SlotForum banner

1939 Porsche 60K10

32K views 322 replies 28 participants last post by  Trisha 
#1 ·
With aero body by Erwin Komenda, the 60K10 was built for the proposed Berlin-Rome road race that was cancelled due the outbreak of WW2.

Attachments

See less See more
#286 ·
Actually, I rather like the idea of a 60K10 barn find, Simon, except that, knowing my luck, I'd also discover among bales of straw, an inebriated uncle Bonkers, the Brig, Parson and old Judge gibbering with 'inappropriate laughter'. Not to mention, of course, several empty bottles that once contained my Scotch.

The thought of it. Too horrible for advanced contemplation.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Tableware
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

#288 ·
You could well be right, Daniel. It's actually worth considering, so I will. When the Otto Mathe car is eventually sold for millions and millions, I wonder how many 60K10 'barn finds' will come to light...

By circa 2050, comics will feature several with headlines: "Original K10 found in Bavarian Shed.'

Of the original three cars built in 1939, only 25 will survive...

#289 ·
I've been peaking through my fingers in horror. My personal record for stripping and repainting a slot car is four. A curious mind inquires: Would the squirming black disasters be an enamel or lacquer based product? I missed that part of class.

#296 ·
I completely agree with you, Daniel. I'm really looking forward to putting this car together, and for several reasons. Not least of which, with or without spats, it happens to be beautiful in my view. It's a subtle example of the talented draughtsman's craft, and especially of Erwin Komenda's talent.

I suspect that a modern 'retro' version would keep Zuffenhausen's production workers busy for quite some time.

#301 ·
Thanks, Paul. Hope it'll be finished soon-ish, but I won't chance the paint not having completely dried. I'm also looking forward to racing this car on the Mess, because to my mind, it's simply stunningly beautiful. Principles of 1930s' streamlining remain sound today.

It's just a pity that roads are so choked with traffic, Plod and regs, that there's little chance of utilising their advantages. Now there's a slot car theme: "Streamliners of the 1930s."
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

#304 ·
Thanks, Paul. I think it's turned out well, especially after initial catastrophes with painting. Such probs are bound to occur occasionally, but it's always worth persisting, and exercising patience, with a worthwhile project.

I suspect running in will take time as the rear axle is very stiff in its bearings, but we'll get there in the end. Got to because this car has great promise as a racer. Looking forward to it.

#309 ·
The 1944 Volkhart Sagitta V2 (also posted in the Airfix Beetle thread) bears a passing resemblance to the 60K10, and is another product of that rather wonderful era of streamlining.

Because of its shape the Volkhart - designed by Kurt Volkhart - was capable of slightly more than 100mph, despite nothing more than a 1086cc Beetle engine to propel it along.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.