SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new chassis kit arrived by post today, I wasted no time in building it with a view to finishing this, the very first post War Porsche.

The beautiful, extremely high quality, resin body was designed and fashioned by Forum contributor, Frogeye, to whom I owe my most grateful thanks, for this car plugs another most important gap in my slot Porsche collection.

I suspect the car below might be only the second slot version of this car worldwide, so I feel very privileged to have it. Frogeye, of course, has the original. And... A very happy birthday to you, old chum!

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Trisha,

interesting project! Where does the shell come from. Is it a repop of an existing shell or is it build from scratch? I haven't seen this one before.

By the way. The engine in the background seems to be a "Fuhrmann" Type 547 engine from the mid 50ies.

Best regards,

Thomas

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thomas

The body was built entirely from scratch by Forum contributor, Frogeye. It isn't a re-pop of an existing shell, because Frogeye's work is always originated from his utterly infuriating talent. Give him a box of Corn Flakes, and a fortnight later, he'll have a perfect representation of a 250F/Auto-Union/Merc/Porsche/Frogeye Sprite/Morgan/Austin twin-cam &C on his work table...

Well done for spotting the 4-cam engine. Dr Ernst Fuhrmann started on this project in 1950. It first appeared in a 550 Porsche at the Nurburgring in 1953, and served the company's racing department extremely well until 1965. The subject of the late Dr Ferdinand Piech's doctorate was this very engine, which remains among the great masterpieces of all time.

Hope to finish this Porsche soon because... well, ya godoo antchya?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Beautiful rendition of the iconic beginnings of the dynasty. A real unobtainium car. Looking forward to seeing it completed along with it's 1/24 cousin.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Parece una buena resina, muy fin y bien acabada.

Dices que es un kit? o solo la carrocería.

It looks like a good resin, very fine and well finished.
You say it's a kit? or just the bodywork.

Frederic

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frederic

The chassis and running gear comprise a kit - easy to build in under half an hour - whilst the body is entirely scratchbuilt by Forum member Frogeye. Apart from my impatience to get it finished for aesthetic/historic reasons, I'm also eager to race it on the Mess, because it has the shortest Wheelbase of any car I've made so far.

'Twill be interesting because the tyres give outstanding grip, and I always look forward to snappy tail-sliding antics. More than this, however, I look forward to a paddock of equally important cars that formed, I suppose, the automotive basis of my life spent with racing cars.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That 356 would look very nice in an old aluminium color with a little wash of Brown liners at the doors, etc.

And black Fuchs rims of course 😀

Cheers

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your comments, chaps. Hope to paint it later today, Mark, in silver as per the original car, and fit wheel inserts without hubcaps. These are to the familiar 5-stud pattern used by most 356 Porsches, and Beetles, of the post War period.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An inability to sleep much beyond 03.00 has advantages. BBC Radio 3 broadcasts music, as opposed to its current daytime output of noise pollution, and slot car fettling can be performed without interruptions.

Several coats of silver paint for the 356 next. Considering a half-tonneau cover for the cockpit to partially cover the electric motor, which sits bang smack on display in the middle of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Mark. A surprise today that the paint is 'touch-dry' but I won't push my luck yet. Wheel inserts in 'smorn, and I've concocted a half-tonneau cover from a piece of surgical sticking plaster. Not sure about the wisdom of the latter, which is why it's not stuck down, but it does a convincing job of concealing the electric motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Absolutely lovely work, sir. That's definitely a car to enjoy for it's beauty and uniqueness.
Wouldn't a thin interior tray cover the motor? Or is there consideration for attaching the driver to the motor directly?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Has conseguido un buen tono con ese color. Además, ni te ha quedado mate, ni brillante.

You have achieved a good tone with that color. In addition, it has not been matte or shiny.

Frederic

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chappyman and Frederic

Thanks to you both, again. I'm really pleased with this car. Almost finished. Waiting for the usual bits and bobs to dry and cure. And a few details to add. Will post pics of the finished piece tomorrow, I hope, with explanation/resume/usual apologies...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts