SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well,heres another old set.its a 2 car set with a figure 8.the cars are 1/43 rd scale.they are metal bodies ,probably from the italian company mercury.safar was started in 1924 & they made radios & pre ww2 tvs.they made this set in 1947,2 years after ww2.it is similar to the 1937 tippco & marx sets.but is not a copy .the track & pickups are totally different from them.the transformer has speed controls on either side so each car could be controlled individually.i hope you enjoy the pictures.thanks,bernard

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Bernard,
Safar made their own castings. They produced a number of standard "push" toys besides the motorized set, and remember that zinc-alloy die-casting was very popular in Italy at the time, used not only by Mercury but by several other toy makers.

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi Phillipe,whats interesting is that in a poor war torn country there were so many electric car sets made.at least 5 maybe 6 different companies,& these were expensive sets.compare this with the rest of europe of which i only know of 2 for sure & possibly 1 other from eastern europe.thanks,bernard

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi Bernard,

Great pictures and an interesting question about the number of sets coming out of Italy at that time ... Given all the sets and experiments with slots, it is interesting that it took so long to get to Scalextric and VIP!

all my very best,

Charles

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
Very true Chuck - the easy response is that there was no Internet, and information just didn't circulate that much in public, but looking through old toy/hobby trade magazines, seems there was a fair amount of visiting between countries to see the next big thing at the toy fairs - an English publication from the 50s-60s had some French and maybe German translations and ditto for a German publication.

The other possibility is that things like Safar, Paruna, Bub, etc. were just not that widely distributed, and nobody heard about them! And the buyers at the toy shows didn't think they'd sell... And like you said about the high prices, maybe we had to wait for cheap plastics for it to really take off!

A very handsome set Bernard...

Don

·
Stranger Things 2
575 Posts
Another beauty Bernard.

Please keep the listings/images for these unusual sets and cars going. My experiences only really go back to the 60's, so it's always VERY interesting to see what has occured prior to that.

Cheers, Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts