SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have posted this earlier and so now I will. This is one of two John Bacon Ferrari 246 F1's that are now in the works. This model will be the Mike Hawthorn #2 car. The other will be the clear scoop car driven by Masten Gregory. Chassis will be brass rod and the motors will be Fox, gears Slotit, wheels at this time are PP 16 in and tires are Ortmans--the ones run at Early Birds for the 60's F1 cars. Pictures show the start and where I am at now with the body about to prime for the first of many times I am sure!!!! The driver is fitted but Hawthorn's green jacket has yet to be formed and of course his visor is not in place as yet. The exhausts have been made and the larger end trumpets have been formed and will be primed with the car. As you can see the front suspension has been started and the rear leaf spring is todays project. The 2 cars will differ on both the front ans rear suspensions and I will post pictures of the second car when I start seriously on its construction. I would like to thank all those who responded to my post on 'Milliput" as to the filling of the large hole in the front nose area of the second car and I have chosen to line the interior with screening and fill with auto puty--so far so good and THANKS. Here are some pictures of the first car in the process and as always your opinions are appreciated

:

Hawthorn

the beginning

chassis

beginning of front suspension

body shots

Here is looking at you

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'm inclined to ask the same question-I can't find any mention anywhere of Gregory driving a 246..
TED...

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I should apologise for the tone of my message. Masten Gregory DEFINITELY never drove a 1958 Ferrari. In fact, I don't think Masten Gregory EVER drove a single-seater Ferrari, or at least, not in a Grand Prix.

I have checked and no, Gregory never drove a single-seater Ferrari.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course it was and is my mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wrote what I was thinking about and not what I knew..easily distracted and thanks for the correction. Do not ask me why I wrote this because I have pictues properly filed and labeled that show PETER COLLINS in my second car. Thanks again for putting up with me and my error!!!!!!!!
Howard

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Looks a real racing car underneath, Howard. No transmission loss from a front-mounted motor.
And a relief that brain fade is not confined to us real oldies. Masten Gregory did drive Italian cars in 1957-58 -- Maseratis, mainly for Scuderia Centro-Sud. Maybe you have him in mind for your next project.
It seems all four Ferrari drivers in 1958 raced cars with the perspex carb intake cover -- Hawthorn, Collins, Musso and Gendebien, going by photos in Paul Parker's Formula 1 in Camera 1950-59.
By the way, the old Airfix Cooper is 'coming along'. Am just bracing myself to amputate the arms for something more McLaren-like.
Rob J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts