SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya fellas. It's been quite a while since I posted anything new so here's something that should create a few comments. Well, hopefully. As some of you know i'm always on the lookout for the unusual or subjects that may have never been modeled or modeled well. To be fair this not all my own work, but another re-work. Many months ago I saw a thread on the German Scratchbuilt slot car forum where a guy had restored a Stabocar Maserati Mistral and my immediate thought was that it would look great if I could get it to look like it should. I'm not too well up on the history of Stabocar but I eventually found a guy in Essen who was. He had quite a stock too. I emailed him with my requirements and what I wanted to do with it and he was more than happy to supply me with a not too brilliant shell, interior, glazing (of sorts) and bumpers. It arrived after a few days and in all honesty it was better than expected. The dimensions were spot on. But being German you would expect that. Main problems were that it suffered from shrinkage in a lot of areas with the bonnet being the worst. It was almost concave. Below are a couple of photo's of how it looked when it arrived. Crude, but cute. As it had no chassis, wheels or running gear I dropped it onto a PCS with my own wheels just to glorify it a touch.

So after much filling and shaping as usual, it's now looking very much the part. I had to remake the bumpers using a method i'd been experimenting with for months. Using a combination of litho plate and chemical metal filler I managed to create something that would withstand vulcanising. The first casts were rought to say the least, but there was enough material on them to enable me to polish them down to the required thickness. The ones on the pictures below are just prototypes. But they look ok. Glazing formers are pretty much all made up with just the artwork for the etches to complete. Not to everyones taste perhaps, but certainly different. Hope you all like it.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
That's great craftsmanship. To my eye, wheels and tires are the most important visual aspect of any car, and your wheels alone make this car, even though far from finished, look superb.

I've always liked the Mistral too, and have always wanted to see a slot version. As a kid who was crazy for Hot Wheels, the Mistral was a favorite, as it was one of the few "foreign" models in a sea of American muscle. Hope you don't mind a photo of a Hot Wheels Mistral, complete with vinyl roof
. This car was supposed to be parked in the paddock of my as of yet unbuilt HO track.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi ?graham
Good choice , one of my all time favorite cars of the 60s ,beautiful looking frua coachwork and the superb maser 6 cyl engine
/rare too ,according to some top gear survey only one of those made is currently on the road

Cheers tony

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
that was my first slotcar ever. ivory white, steering wheels..........what a stunner!! dont know if I have a decent pricture of the complete car, but it surely is a great car!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
What a surprise Graham. An unexpected choice and a beautiful car. It's coming along nicely, hope you make it into a kit. It would make a nice complement to the Aston Martins and Ferraris of the same period.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,629 Posts
A beautiful choice Graham. Have wanted a Stabo Mistral for ages - put my name on the list for one of your enhanced versions !!

Great to see you emerging from the confines of British cars

Kind regards, Leo

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
these are the originals, little damage, but used for ages!

underside /view at steering wheels

nice torque engines and lots of fun on the grey track

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Graham,

What a beauty is on the way...............I like it !
Do you intend to make a kit for us?

Cheers

claus

1 - 15 of 15 Posts