SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the Corvair to be an interesting car. Rear engine flat-6. This car won a lot of races in its day.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Then a guy named Don Yenko developed something called a Yenko Stinger.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

I found this old, rare static kit of a Corvair Corsa. The base car for a Stinger.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Rectangle Font Circuit component Cylinder Capsule

Car Toy Hood Vehicle Automotive design

I decided on Testors Star Spankled Blue for paint.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Hood

I thought the colour on the lid looked great! What came out of the can was nothing like it. Do I leave it? Or strip it and start again? Choices...

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Water bottle

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
Tough call. The first pic of the Yenko car is a classic Chevy color from the 60’s. Not sure of the factory name/# but my cousin had a 396 Chevelle in that color. Beautiful. You might want look around in the auto paint world to find a match.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Really, you'd strip and re-paint? Not the lighter tone you were expecting but looks like it applied well.

Dan

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If something about a car bugs you? It usually won't let you rest.

The debate still goes on. The chassis is machined.

Wheel Vehicle Hood Car Tire

Wood Tool Screw Nickel Auto part

The lesson here is...

Tamiya paint cans = Excellent!

Testors paint cans = Not good.

It's clear why Testors threw in the towel when it comes to spray cans.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I rather like that dark blue, Ken. It suits the car well. Dark colours always make for a pleasing contrast with polished alloy wheels.

A nice model of a much-maligned car. Ralph Nader! Tut. Remember all his ridiculous criticism? And he hadn't even got a driving licence.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
A nice model of a much-maligned car. Ralph Nader! Tut. Remember all his ridiculous criticism? And he hadn't even got a driving licence.
The early versions of the Corvair, with a different body shape to the one KRZ's building, were pretty lethal as they had swing axle rear suspension, like a Triumph Herald. With a rear weight bias and a wet road they'd oversteer into the hedge without too much difficulty.

I know this because I had one for a while and did exactly that.
sad.png

The second versions handled much better with their semi-trailing arm suspension, and looked better IMHO.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Kit

Vic Elford never had trouble with the Triumph Herald in his early rallying days.

Would you like a list of successful cars that had swing-axle suspension? It's quite long.

I've spent years listening to people hammering swing-axles. Their criticism says more about their driving ability.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you to everyone for the positive comments!
smile.png

What really bugs me is the little krinkling going on around/above the wheel well lips on the first painted photo. It looks like the paint foamed up and made small bubbles. It only happened on one side.

Beautiful Corvair Mark. I bet it goes like a bullet. Sits perfect too. To slam, or not to slam? Always...
thumbsup.gif

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
That is a beautiful car! I think I would have opted for a deep red livery (as the first pic of the real car you posted) with white stripes.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very kindly, Chuck and Grunz.
smile.png

Test fitting the chassis to the body. It will be raised a millimeter or two from where it sits now. Lowering it until the tires touch the inside of the body while glueing in the body posts keep it lined up with the chassis. I raise the body and/or move the wheels in after the posts are glued in. Perfect body alignment every time.

The hubcaps are there just for the photo. This car is getting American 5-spokes.

The body height was inspired by Mark50.
thumbsup.gif

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
My college roommate had a '65 Monza convertible that had been souped up by a guy that was trying to break the Bonneville speed record in his own Corvair. We got it up to about 135 on the way to Las Vegas, but had to ease off because the nose started drifting upwards. It needed a bit of downforce in front. Was a really fun car. I love what you've done with yours!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you very kindly, Michael, Mark, and Stumbley.
smile.png

·
Rich Dumas
3,599 Posts
Metallic colors are semitransparent, so the final color will be affected by what is underneath. You could try a test on something expendable, start with a couple of coats of white and put the metallic blue over that. If the result is too light try painting over gray primer. You could also spray over silver.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you very kindly RichD and Chappyman66.
smile.png

My friends at the club suggested to leave the paint alone... and stop being such a perfectionist.
innocent.gif

Oh well. I guess I'll just keep assembling the rest of the car and go racing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts