SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1966 the Beatles were at No 1 with Paperback Writer; Clint Eastwood was strutting his spurs in 'The Good; The Bad and The Ugly, oh and England won the World Cup...

Also in 1966, Sunbeam Rapiers were about on British race tracks competing in saloon car races (and also in a few rallies).

By this time the Rapier had probably seen its best in competition, but earlier in the 60s they enjoyed reasonable success before the Minis and Cortinas arrived.

Resin shell (possibly traffic models) purchased from Pendles

Primed using halfords plastic grey primer

Thanks for looking.

Dave

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Mr Wisdom does it again! Top draw Dave, top draw! It's only stuff like this that keeps me on here. Red tyres and pictures of cars streaming smoke belong on another forum. Or Disneyland! Keep em coming Dave.

G.

·
Registered
417 Posts
hi dave,

a real (little) masterpiece. in particular the two color-paintwork, perfect in finish !!

cheers, claus

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Oh Dave, you've done it again mate! I cannot wait to see this going round the Colchester track next week (only 7 days to go now :) Superb stuff

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,591 Posts
Hello Dave,
Lovely car and very well done and as a Rootes-man it appeals to me a lot. However, although I appreciate that you probably have reasons, I don't think the wheels should be black. A nice cream colour would do nicely.

Kind regards, Leo

·
Stranger Things 2
575 Posts
Great job Dave.

That resin body looks like it's based on the old Airfix Rapier kit.

I have one of those old kits around part built ... you've inspired me to dig it up and finish it off.

Cheers, Michael

·
Registered
71 Posts
As a newcomer to scratchbuilding cars you inspire me Dave, thanks. The chrome looks very realistic, but seeing the bare resin shell is quite obviously painted. What paint did you use please, and any clever technique, or just skill?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi Dave,
really great stuff. Excellent job on the chrome parts and a tasteful, period-like paintjob.

Best regards
Pit

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
Lovely job - but it leaves me conflicted. Having owned and driven 2 Sunbeam Talbots (a drophead & a saloon) - both fitted with aftemarket floor gear changes - during the 50's, the Rapier always struck me as no more than a badge-engineered Hillman and not worthy of the Sunbeam name!

EM

1 - 20 of 28 Posts