SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several vendors have announced for pre-order a 1967 Daytona 24 Hours Ferrari 250 LM produced by Racer. The car as announced comes in a blue livery, hence my question. Is this correct? I ask only because internet sources on this car seem to be in some disagreeement as to whether the car was blue, or green, when raced at Daytona. I'm certain that Racer did all due dilegence in their research, however the question lingers. So, for the experts out there-which color?

Best,

·
David H
3,800 Posts
Do these help? The car with the same livery as Racer's model looks green, not blue. The blue car matches Racer's colour but is missing the Union flag and windscreen sun strip.

I also found this, which says the blue #32 is chassis number 5893. RacingSportsCars.com, which is usually reliable, says the car that raced was green, with chassis number 5895.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for collecting in one place, as it were, the very references that I find perplexing. I have also found RacingSportsCars to be a fairly reliable guide, and other elements would seem to confirm their conclusion(s). Regardless, this car from Racer is probably not in my future, although it is the case that chassis 5895 did in fact race at the

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
This thread was started not so long ago over on the Scratchbuilding forum. It refers to the same car, might be helpful.

Pete

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi guys, the car in the two photos is definitely the same. I guess that differences are due to the fact
one has been taken during practices (empty stands on background) while the other one was probably
taken at race day. Colour is definitely blue even though our photos are relevant to a preproduction sample
with wrong blue. The car in production will have a colour like the second photo.
Hi everibody, Marco

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
If the car is the same - why did Ferrari suddenly decide to add a union flag, a sun strip AND add silver trim around the front grill and sidelight clusters and all done between practice and the race itself? This seems odd to me. The sunstrip and the flag - possibly - but the trim - really?!? The colours of the union flag look correct (you can just make out blue on the flag) which suggests the car really is green - so add a respray to the list of things done in the pits.

Sorry but I do not believe we are looking at photos of the same car at the same event. Same car maybe - but separated by some time and a respray I would say. The evidence suggests the cars are two different cars and chassis numbers have been presented to back that up.

Come on Racer - why not just admit you made a mistake. Or present better evidence. Everybody makes mistakes from time to time - better to admit them and show you are human.

As far as I can see - you have either got the colour correct and the sun strip, flag and silver trim wrong, or you have got the car correct but in the wrong colour.

You probably don't want to admit a mistake because of commercial reasons - but surely that would be better than attempting to rewrite history!

·
Registered
366 Posts
And blue to me...

@ Mr Modifier

I don't want to discuss if the mentioned pictures show the same car.
But the difference in appearence between practice/testdays/qualifying and racedays is very common.

Here an example;
LM 1997
Viper Raceday

Testday/practice
Less sponsoring and extra headlight covers.

As for the trim all I can say that Enzo Ferrari was very keen on the display of his cars. So if the team had full support from Ferrari...

I think Racer did a very good job allthough the blue looks a bit French to me. I bit darker greenish blue would be better.

·
David H
3,800 Posts
QUOTE (Dagobert II @ 26 Jun 2012, 17:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But the difference in appearence between practice/testdays/qualifying and racedays is very common.
Here an example;
LM 1997
Viper Raceday
Testday/practice
Less sponsoring and extra headlight covers.
In your example, the test day was 4th May 1997, and the race was 15th June 1997, more than a month later and ample time to completely change every visual aspect of the car.

Leaving aside any doubts about which car is which, is Racer modelling the car as raced, or as it appeared at another unknown time? There seems little doubt that it raced painted a greenish/blueish hue, not a bright blue.

·
David H
3,800 Posts
I think this is a good case of the internet rewriting history; someone gets it wrong, others follow, inaccurate models are built and sold and, before you know it, the models are accepted as right and historical photos and video dismissed as wrong. The internet is great, but the damage it is doing to history is dreadful.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think you're right.

In your posted video at 4.24 there is the #32 in the pit with it's engine hood straight up. In the sunshine it still looks blue to me.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
None of the evidence is conclusive either way, old photos, old film, different lighting conditions, even a different day for flagless car.
Is it greeny blue or bluey green?

Racer say that the colour on their model is "the wrong blue" on their preproduction model, be interesting to see which shade of greeny blue they paint the final model.

My feeling is that the car should be coloured something like this... LINK Plus a flag and sun strip.

Bluey green or greeny blue it will be bloody lovely.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dear Mr. Modifier,
just would like to underline the fact we always accepted suggestions/ indications from forum members
to correct or modify our models in case of mistakes. I really do not have problems in admitting mistakes
that can happen to anybody. But, sorry this is not the case and we really do not want to change car history.
The photo you are referring to stating the car was green is clearly taken without sunshine and for sure colors
result different or slighlty different. The two photos are for sure taken in Daytona, I do not know if at that time
it was the same as today, but the so called actual ROAR before Daytona 24 takes place 3/4 weeks prior to the
race, so ..... I think the car is right the same with the addition of silver trim in the front and all other differences.
Ferrari for sure did not decide to add a Union Jack on the bonnet, that was a private car not the official one.
Owner decide himself about the look of the car, obvious.
Said that our model in the photos was relevant to a preproduction sample painted with a wrong blue, the production
one will show a blue like in the "practice" photo.
I looked at video posted with a lot of interest and noticed, for example the Ecurie Francorchamps 412P #33.
An orange stripe on left door is clearly visible but this is the first time I see this. All 1/43 manufacturer never
made this model like this, including BBR. In all other photos I have the car is just yellow with race numbers.

Marco

1 - 15 of 15 Posts