SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have been following a little while from the out side. Seen loads people do various different scratch builds, but I've just purchased a 1/24 die cast to convert to slot car of the above car.

I plan on getting it and removing the underside and seeing what room we have to play with internally, before linking drive trains and magnets etc, but has anyone tried this before and succeeded? If not, has anyone enough experience to want to work with us on this a little as I can't find this car anywhere in the slot racing market.

Ultimately I want to keep body the same, with lights all fully working, decent traction for the car, and have it digital ready as I hope to swap over in future... I Initially plan to keep wheels the same as on the die cast, but will change for a wider rear load if need bebut just thought I'd see what ideas are put their to support us in the project?

Tia Ricky Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi Ricky,

Frederic made a great 1/32 version of the same car. It's a popular one. The rights for an Eleanor slot car might be a bit expensive.

Once you get better wheels/tires, and remove the static chassis. You'll see that there's a lot of room to slam the body close to the track.

Nice start. Looking forward to your build. Just keep in mind that metal is very heavy and performance will suffer. It's easy to find a plastic 1/24 Shelby GT 500 static kit these days. A plastic body might make a better slot car. But you'll need to paint it.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Cheers,
Ken

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have been following a little while from the out side. Seen loads people do various different scratch builds, but I've just purchased a 1/24 die cast to convert to slot car of the above car.

I plan on getting it and removing the underside and seeing what room we have to play with internally, before linking drive trains and magnets etc, but has anyone tried this before and succeeded? If not, has anyone enough experience to want to work with us on this a little as I can't find this car anywhere in the slot racing market.

Ultimately I want to keep body the same, with lights all fully working, decent traction for the car, and have it digital ready as I hope to swap over in future... I Initially plan to keep wheels the same as on the die cast, but will change for a wider rear load if need bebut just thought I'd see what ideas are put their to support us in the project?

Tia Ricky View attachment 292172 View attachment 292172
Depending on which scale you are looking to race , there are some options out there, for example, you could get a nice Ford Mustanag in 1:32 from Revell /MRRC and then modify it to the Eleanor look that you wish for. If it’s for racing you could get also a 3dp chasis and make it competitive 😉

Nice project though, good luck mate!

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen his post, and for a novice it seemed a lot of messing round, so thought is go with die cast to get some experience and then build/modify further from their.

I suppose its a matter of getting it here, trial and error really and seeing how it plays out.
Any recommendations on decent motors, that are toyqey to help shift it?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've seen his post, and for a novice it seemed a lot of messing round, so thought is go with die cast to get some experience and then build/modify further from their.

I suppose its a matter of getting it here, trial and error really and seeing how it plays out.
Any recommendations on decent motors, that are toyqey to help shift it?
Mmm unfortunately die cast slotized cars will never have a good performance on track(even with a 3dp chasis) so I wouldn’t bother with such issues, it will be a car to give some leisure laps and stay mostly on the shelf🤷🏻

On the other hand a 1:32 or 1:24 plastic, resin casted or 3dp body could be fitted with a proper chasis either 3dp or metal to give it a decent performance or with some additional work (and a bit of luck) get a winning car!😉

Cheers

Ps. Picture is not mine but this is the slot car I suggest for your project.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmm unfortunately die cast slotized cars will never have a good performance on track(even with a 3dp chasis) so I wouldn’t bother with such issues, it will be a car to give some leisure laps and stay mostly on the shelf🤷🏻

On the other hand a 1:32 or 1:24 plastic, resin casted or 3dp body could be fitted with a proper chasis either 3dp or metal to give it a decent performance or with some additional work (and a bit of luck) get a winning car!😉

Cheers
I think reading other posts your right, but having it in die cast at least gives us a modle to work from if we can get it 3d printed etc...
Going to be my little project car to get this over the line as simply as possible.

Not initially looking for winning car, just a bespoke unique different little cruiser to work with

·
Registered
808 Posts
Veo que el Mustang de Revell tiene como pieza independiente el frontal. El de Carrera además del frontal, tiene separada la trasera. Es el punto donde se ha de ir con cuidado para que las formas queden alineadas y sin escalones.
Del motor no te sabría decir. El mío lleva el motor de Carrera y va muy lento, supongo que por el exceso de peso ya que si miras mi tema, es como si llevará dos carrocerías.

I see that the Revell Mustang has the front part as an independent piece. The Carrera one, in addition to the front, has the rear separated. It is the point where you have to go carefully so that the forms are aligned and without steps.

I can't tell you about the engine. Mine has the Carrera engine and is very slow, I suppose because of the excess weight since if you look at my topic, it is as if it had two bodies.

Frederic

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Veo que el Mustang de Revell tiene como pieza independiente el frontal. El de Carrera además del frontal, tiene separada la trasera. Es el punto donde se ha de ir con cuidado para que las formas queden alineadas y sin escalones.
Del motor no te sabría decir. El mío lleva el motor de Carrera y va muy lento, supongo que por el exceso de peso ya que si miras mi tema, es como si llevará dos carrocerías.

I see that the Revell Mustang has the front part as an independent piece. The Carrera one, in addition to the front, has the rear separated. It is the point where you have to go carefully so that the forms are aligned and without steps.

I can't tell you about the engine. Mine has the Carrera engine and is very slow, I suppose because of the excess weight since if you look at my topic, it is as if it had two bodies.

Frederic
Pienso que son detalles que pueden ser arreglados sin tanto problema Frederic. En cuanto al desarrollo del auto, aún en su forma original (Carrera/Revell), bueno apestan 😁🤷🏻, pero se remedia con un buen chasis 3d.😉

I think that those are details that can be fixed without too much problem Frederic. As for the performance of the car, even in their stock form(Carrera/Revell), well they are rubish😁🤷🏻, but can be fixed with a good 3d chasis.😉

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The weight of the body will prevent the car from spinning the tires, etc. Just find a cheap 1/24 motor from Electric Dreams, Professor Motor, or Slot Car Corner. They are around $10 to $12. Don't worry about breaking the sound barrier.

You hit the nail on the head when you said you merely want it to run. Half of scratch building is exactly that.

Please keep us posted?

Ken

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I only do 1/32 but have converted three die-casts.
It's quite a simple process if you retain as much of the model as you can and basically mount the motor, rear axle and guide to the die cast chassis.
This Majorette Thunderbird runs really well on the tyres which came with the die-cast. It isn't a race car but is quite fast and stable

Automotive exterior Rectangle Bumper Auto part Fashion accessory

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Toy Wood Vehicle Hood Toy vehicle

·
Registered
500 Posts
I did this diecast hot rod awhile ago, I used a vintage brass tube chassis and a 36D and vintage threaded wheels and axles .
It's "heavy" but puts a smile on my face when I run it!
Just have fun and it's good way of learning about building a car!
Cheers,
John.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Toy Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys just caught up with these, thankyou so much for the feedback and opinions...
Seriously excited me for when it arrives....
I'm wanting to do this not just for experience, but a better understanding of how things car go in favour of being a gd car or a bad car too...

I'll keep you all updated, still waiting on a few parts to arrive and need to order a new soldering iron too.

Seems I've found my home to slot cars with this forum... Alot of knowledgeable people and experts here 😁😁

1 - 14 of 14 Posts