SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this car in the Ford P68 thread but as it was going a bit off topic thought I would post an update here.

To recap this is going to be based on a Classic fibreglass shell and I've built the chassis as narrow as I can to squeeze it in, the Scalex motor just has enough headroom.

The original car was driven in the '68 season by John Surtees and he managed a couple of 3rd places and a second despite being outclassed by the Ford Cosworth powered opposition - not the most successful of cars then but it looked great and I had to have one to race on the home track.

David

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That looks so great!

But why have you used a plastic pinion as opposed to a metal one? That can't be easy to change once it's in...

Lotus

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
There is one lurking problem with Classic shells (or, at least, every one that I have worked with including the Eagle) - at one or more places on the shell you will find an area where there is a void between the gel coat and the glass cloth. This results in an area of unsupported gel coat that will crack and collapse leaving an unseemly void. It is best to drill any holes needed for attaching bits like suspension or exhaust parts and then tap the shell all over - I use the ball end of a minature ball pien hammer. Better to find the problem areas bbefore decorating!

EM

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EM - You're correct, I've been using the Classic bodies for about 40 years - I suddenly feel very old - and they are prone to some minor flaws which need a bit of work before painting but they are excellent value and usually capture the shape of the original car very well.

They changed the gel coat material a few years ago and although they are lighter shells as a result I did prefer the originals.

I've finished my chassis for the RA301 complete with rear spoiler ( It's bound to fold up in the first shunt but as JohnP says it will then look like the British GP car ) and am about to start the bodyshell but I can't post any pictures due to problems with my computer. We had a thunder storm two days ago which blew up my television, TV Cable box, modem and NIC card in my computer, I'm writing this from work in the meantime.

David

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
QUOTE I've been using the Classic bodies for about 40 years - I suddenly feel very old

You qualify! You are cordially invited to join us in Las Vegas for the annual meeting of the Olde Pharts Slot Racing Society

Yes, the Classics are very good value, seem to be spot on and of great variety. It just took me a while to realize that a bit of patching would be needed. This is not always a bad thing. I have Classic bodied Maserati 151 that aquitted itself rather well in Las Vegas a few years ago. It did, however, suffer a bit of damage - glass voids under the gel coat on the lower part of the grille surround and the rear valence. After some thought, I repaired the voids with some smoothed but irregular Milliput and painted the repairs bright aluminum - honorable combat scars!

I hope you get your system back up soon - I want to see the progress and perhaps be dissuaded from my current vow, based on trying to complete the Eagle, never to build a 60s GP again (been very much a two steps forward and one back proposition)

EM

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
QUOTE They changed the gel coat material a few years ago and although they are lighter shells as a result I did prefer the originals.

Over the years, I have laid up a few glass shells of my own - and often found the same problem. I recently revived an old plug, carved in about 1963, for a 300SLR, made a new mold (the old one had turned to stone) and tried what appears to be a successful experiment combining the good detail and easy finishing of resin with the thickness control of a laminate:

I begin by "sloshing" a very thin coat of a quick setting resin in the mold. (The mold is supported in a rigid mold box) When the resin has set, I use a thin epoxy (not polyester) to laminate several layers of fabric. The most conventional of the fabrics that I use is a very lightweight glass cloth - about the thickness and weave of a broadcloth shirt. I have also tried carbon fiber and kevlar scrim - a very thin adhesive bound mat made from random, not woven fibers. The epoxy takes about a day to set up. When it is ready, I remove the mold box to let the mold (silicone) flex, and de-mold the body. The result is a light and very tough shell.

A large box of disposable vinyl or latex examination gloves is very useful because there is nothing like fingers for compacting the fabric into the resin.

EM

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Take off those rubber gloves, EM, and get back to that Eagle! Now!
You show me yours, and I'll show you the pile of bits that is my M7A so far.

And commiserations over your computer breakdown, David. We're on tenterhooks waiting for updates on the Honda!

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EM - I plan doing the Monaco 1968 Eagle rather than the 67 Spa winner for no reason other than I like the sponsors logos and drivers name logo Dan had in that race - it also had the mesh intake cover for a bit of super detailing. Your body shell making process sounds excellent but a bit beyond me.

Howmet - I have the modem and cable box replaced, the TV is half done but I'm still waiting on the NIC card - talk about E-withdrawl, what did we do with ourselves before the internet? Make models I suppose.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh the joy of having my computer up and running again and being back online!!

Here is the finished Honda chassis complete with the rear aerofoil. It's a bit unnecessarily complicated in places but as I've built it I've streamlined the construction ideas in my mind so my future F1 chassis will be from the Colin Chapman school of simplicity, I hope....

I wasn't sure how to hold the rear wing while soldering it so I came up with this simple jig - a piece of wood with two slots cut in it at the width of the wing support struts - which held everything perfectly in place, note the brass plate, axle and wheels and metal set square acting as heat sinks while I work.

The long bolt visible in the picture is for securing the bodyshell, I've since soldered the nut into brass tubing which is epoxied into the shell as a bodymounting post.

I hope to spend some time on painting the body this weekend, I'll update when I have some progress.

David

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Looking good, David! Here is a scan of the Model Cars plan of the car:-

By the way, is that one of Mrs H's woolies pictured in your first post in this thread?

Kind regards

Russell

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the plans Russell - the cloth in the picture is actually a polishing cloth, I'm not sure if you may have just insulted Mrs H's knitting!!

David

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Very nice indeed David - you can't beat shiny brass for looks! Well, for slot car chassis anyway

Out of curiosity what wheels/tyres are you using? I'm working on my own "Formula David" using an Airfix/MRRC Honda shell and need to sort something out in the wheels department...

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JohnP - I'm undecided about wheels and tyres, the car is temporarily sitting on Max Winter items and he does do the Lola/Hondola wheels and inserts which would look spot on but I fancy his tyres are a bit hard so may lack grip - I assume they're designed for magnetraction cars.

I've made the nose winglets today and the intake trumpets to replace the rather solid looking original detailing and there are a couple of repairs to the glassfibre necessary before I paint it.

I'd like to see a work in progress shot of your Honda when you have one.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I forgot to post the progress shot of the car in my previous post - this shows the replacement intakes and added nose fins.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have finished the Honda apart from the correct wheels that are on order from Max Winter which will really set the car off nicely.

JohnP - You'll see I've painted that nice shiny brass spoiler you referred to! I reckon that a few of these Classic fibreglass bodied F1's would make a nice race somewhere soon.

Russell - In case you check your references this is the 1968 Watkins Glen car where Surtees finished third.

Having thought about the chassis with this car I am now putting together a Lotus 49B with the high wing as a companion to the Honda and it will be a much simpler design.

David

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Excellent David. I'll be very interested when the new wheels are fitted.

I'm not familiar with Max Winter's work, is that Inserts or complete wheels he produces?.

Regards

Alan

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Beautifully craftsmanship, David! You just need to add the red mirrors and away you go!

Kind regards

Russell

1 - 20 of 41 Posts