SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 153 Posts

· Al Schwartz
3,416 Posts
QUOTE Honest ? did I ever tell you I used to be a used car sales man

Real story ( from "long ago and in another country") - The redoubtable Luigi Chinetti was found in deep discussion at a race at Lime Rock in the middle 50's - seems the topic was his ability to provide 1500 cc cylinder liners/piston kits for the Alfa Guilietta - when someone had the temertiy to point out that the Alfa was a 1292 cc car and was classified as such (old days when the SCCA went by displacement, not performance) - he looked, pondered, and replied with a very "Italian" shrug : " Ah everyabody cheats a litta bit"

So - with no motor rules - no cheating - ample evidence of Prof Fate's wisdom and foresight.

EM

· Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Fergy...you gotta accept that pure power isnt ALL the way to power. Given the number of hard long races we are planning...

I would consider that if you want to build a motor, think reliability!.

Howabout this: Take the SCX motor, shorten the can for a short stack S can stack. True the stack, epoxy down the com and true that. Do a custom wind of about 160/170 turns of 34(american) wire, 10degree timing. SCX endbell. Ball bearings all around.

Or better, get one of the new mini motors. The Beardog is only 6 bucks, pull apart and glue and true and rewind it to a hotter spec.

Fate

· Brian Ferguson
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Whoa! Guys! Hang on! The power stuff was mostly jokes!
....all those smileys??

As I said, I thought about starting with a Fox and deciding which way to go from there. It appears that "down" is the general recommendation even before I get a test chassis on my track. I can accept that!
I'm an old racer, but new to this sort of car, so believe me.... I am listening!

Hmmm.... if I put a Slot.it V12 in it, can I still call it a Matra MS10 V8?
<--- smileys again

· Russell Sheldon
2,846 Posts
Fergy, here's some inspiration for you.

It's an MRRC Matra MS10 detailed by by Joel Thura of the Southend Slot Racing Club to represent Jackie Stewart's 1968 German GP winner.

Picture courtesy of Joel Thura and the SSRC website -- one of the nicest slot racing sites on the web.

Kind regards

Russell

· Brian Ferguson
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks, Russell! Yes, the Southend group has done some nice stuff.

Oddly enough, there's yet another pic of the exact configuration I'm planning!

Though I must say.... I like Bruce's body much better.

· Russell Sheldon
2,846 Posts
Help!

I can't find the post that has the rules for the F1 proxy race!

Could someone kindly point me in the right direction, please? I'd like to have a go myself.

Many thanks!

Russell

· Premium Member
5,560 Posts
QUOTE (Ecurie Martini @ 26 Jun 2004, 02:29)The motor fit points up one of the advantages of a vac-form - a typical 0.010" body thickness versus an average, probably, of 0.050" for a glass body - and, given the dimesions of these cars, an additional 0.080" is signifcant.
You're so right EM, despite Dremeling the shell of the BRM 'til it was almost translucent, using the smallest contrate and moving everything as far forward as possible - it didn't quite fit so I had to resort to a little cheat to fit the last mm inside the shell.

David

· Brian Ferguson
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
David, that is a rather non-obtrusive "cheat" anyway!
Mind if I ask what gear you ended up using? I'm looking at the tiny Slot.it ones myself - 24 and 26T. I think both will go under the rear of the Matra with no problem.

· Brian Ferguson
4,318 Posts
3 pages of posts in this thread and I haven't even got enough parts to start building yet! That may well be a record, dontcha think?
If nothing else, it appears I can win, or at least compete, on words alone!

...And if a certain US vendor doesn't soon move, words may be all I have to work with....

· Al Schwartz
3,416 Posts
QUOTE it didn't quite fit so I had to resort to a little cheat to fit the last mm inside the shell.

That is a very well done "cheat". I shall re-examine the rear of my rebuilding project on the Eagle to see if my fingers can get anything that small into place!

At the time that they were running, I always thought that there was something a bit obscene about these GP cars parading about with their bare innards hanging out. I now know the source of the impropriety - it is the language that accompanies the effort to try to put a functional model rear end into one of them! I'm planning to do a Vanwall (Mac Pinches told me that one is on the drawing board) and, just for relief, I shall probably use a 14:50 gearset!

EM

· Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,221 Posts
How about a 27T 64P Bronze gear with an inside hub/boss that is .400(just about bang on 10mm for you euro chaps)dia,would that help.

They won't be real cheap,about 15.00us,but they will be tiny.

21 - 40 of 153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.