SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The only image I have/can find on the net.

Luckily Patto make this wonderously ugly (I actually quite like it) car. Even luckier, it'll cost less than £7 for it to arrive on my doorstep from Oz! Getting quite excited about this now...

Right, so... erm... pictures! Russell (aka. 'Pictureman') any chance you have some good pictures or diagrams for this car. I really can't find out much about it on the net at all.

Couple of questions...

- Do the tyres have to be rubber or have to be foam, or, if there's a choice, what will be best?

- If I understand correctly, there is no limit on motors, but something in the range of 'slow' will be good?

Cheers for all your help in advance...

Lotus

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Lotus

The Cosworth 4WD never actually raced, so I'm not sure if it would be eligible. I suggest that you check with Prof Fate before you start building it.

It certainly is an ugly car!

Not surprisingly, Frank Costin was also involved in the design of the Xylon!

I believe that the car is currently on display at the Donnington Automotive Museum. Here are links to some large pictures:-

Cosworth 4WD Picture 1

Cosworth 4WD Picture 2

Cosworth 4WD Picture 3

Cosworth 4WD Picture 4

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pictures Russell.

I have contacted Cosworth for more information but I'm expecting them to deny all knowledge of it's existance!

I really just want to build something different, and this 'late 60's car without wings' is... well, different to say the least...

I'm gonna build it anyway, and if it's not eligable, then I won't send it.

Lotus

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
So, Lotus.... Patto actually sold one of those?

Sorry.... every time I see it, I think of some guy building a plywood boat in his garage.
...oooops, there I go again.....

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fergy: Not yet... soon though. I bet he's thrown the mould away...

You see my thinking is, that if the car is rubbish (which is very probable...) then I can just say that it is an accurate representation of the crapness of the real car...

Lotus

PS. It's gonna have another carbon fibre chassis underneath it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

UGLY!!

Eligiblity: that is up to YOU guys. Remember, this is YOUR event. If you are embarassed, you can email me privately, but that decision is up to you.

Remember, my proposal was for any open wheel.

Your event, you guys chose.

Motors: yes unlimited. As EM will attest, I have about a dozen or 20 period models. Various states of well used abuse. My local best friend and I are freeko for the cars and raced this class agressively for 30 years. With scale tires, a lot of power is an embarassment.

The HOTTEST modern motor I have in one is a Rabbit. Most of the cars use old Ks types or old 13uos.

Tires:Foam works best on tracks that use foam and tire prep. NONE of the tracks locally allow tire prep(glue) and, therefore foam is pretty useless. Everyone around here use silicone. Mostly Puma Paws. Although, personally, I use a lot of OLD sillies, some of which are 40 years old.

Fate

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm entering the compotition and I say let him do it...

It's gonna be crap anyway!

Lotus

PS. Pleeeeese!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
No complaint from me, Lotus! Although it never raced, it was built and it turned wheels on the track. It also gives you no unfair advantage that I can see - the sidepods are even too high to be exploited.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shout Out!!

Still searching for more details and info on this car. Even Cosworth don't know anything about it!!!!

I've managed to find about 10 pictures in total, but you can't build a car from that.... well, I can't.

As soon as the 28th August rolls around, I will order the parts and building will commence when they arrive.

McLaren

PS. Did I mention that I need more details about it?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I can't add much to the excellent photos from Russell of the car in the Donington Collection.

The car tested with and without wings

Both these pictures show Frank Costin at the wheel, I'm surprised he was willing to be seen in public with such a terrible car - he obviously had no shame with his designs.

This drawing may help with the shape of the inside of the side pods and some detailing.

The wheelbase of the Classic Matra MS84 and Lotus 63 - both 4 wheel drive F1's of the same vintage is about 76mm - I would use that as a base line measurement and gauge the shape and proportions around that.

David

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, superb!

Thanks a lot!

Now I just got to work out the bloddy width of the thing...

Maybe not the wisest of choices, but on the plus side, no-one else is gonna make a better one than me, cos no-one else is gonna make one!

McLaren

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
With out a doubt that is the ugliest GP car ever built .Andy you deserve a special prize for even thinking about modeling it

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yay! I get a prize! It's not a three-armed sweater is it? Oh god, it's not a Xzylon is it?!?!?!

Anyway, any chance I can get some suggestions on what wheels and tyres to use for it? I also need a motor/axel mount and all accosiated bearings axels and gears and stuff... Bugger, this is gonna cost me...

So, what do I buy?

McLaren

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
QUOTE suggestions on what wheels and tyres to use

From the look of the rest of the car square ones

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
IF I were to make this car 4WD (as if I don't have enough problems already), I have come up with a system which replicates the original as much as possible. I don't know if this has been done before, but it seems like a good idea.

What do you think? Easy or too Hard?

The dark grey blob in the middle is the motor.
Light grey spindles are axels.
Red blobs are sidewinder gears of the same number of teeth.
Yellow blobs are pinions of the same number of teeth.
Green blobs are inline gears of the same number of teeth.

Feedback required.

McLaren

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
It would certainly work that way, I suppose, but would it not be easier to start with a motor that had a shaft out both ends and drive inline gears at each axle, the rear direct from the motor and the front one with a spring coupled drive like most front-engined cars use? That way the motor would still be centrally mounted and you'd have less gears to worry about?

·
Registered
800 Posts
You can press in a new longer armature shaft if need be. If you're slick with it you don't even need to rewind it afterwards

If I remember correctly, AWD vehicles use different gearing up front than they do in the rear. I can't remember why though. It sounds weird to me too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts