SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Seems everyone with an F-1 project has started a thread, so in keeping iwth the spirit, here's mine:

Subject: McLaren M7B as run at the South African GP - if the photo could scroll a little to the left you would see me perched on a roof carrier attached to a white Volvo 122S, but alas, no scrolling function on this one. (lots of words to say "I was there"):

I'm waiting for a Classic or a Betta M7B shell , as the GT Models version that I rescued from captivity in a large box in the roof of Victor Ferguson's garage is monstrously out of scale width-wise:

Chassis construction is necessarily simple - there's no space for complexities. With the variations of track in mind for the F1 Proxy series, I decide that an simple iso-fulcrim might work best, and I placed the pivot behind the motor to get the longest pivot arm possible:

The almost finished product, awaiting detailing and the whole rear wing thing:

The motor in there right now is one salvaged from a motorized toothbrush - the same size as a Slot.it, but with crappy brushgear, lots of speed and NO brakes! Wheels are BWA, rear tires are Indy Grips.

More pics when the rest is done.

Dennis

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ah , you might know the answer to this - is this the same car but with an added
front wing or is it completly different ?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Top one has side pods, so it looks like an evolution of your one.

Otherwise they do look extremely similar, maybe one of those looking at the moment will be able to tell...

Lotus

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Dennis, very nice chassis indeed!!

But.... what does your wife brush her teeth with now?

@ fouldsc: M7A, the B version had the wide side tanks.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
That's some chassis Dennis - beautifully engineered. I have to say though it's a brave man that builds a chassis without having sight of the final shell. Let's hope your next post is printable!

Great work

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Fergy - a man's got to do what a man's got to do! She can have it back once I install the Slot.it V12, although whether it has survived the multiple applications of 12V is uncertain. Seriously though, being the same size as the slot.it motor makes it a cheap "mule" during chassis building.

JohnP - I have a pretty good set of drawings off the Bruce Mclaren website, so I have all the basic measurements. The only issue might be getting the actual width right, as the British body makers are usually quite close on wheelbase but not always on width. So it might just be a matter of another set of sidepans.

Dennis

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Beautiful work, Dennis! After all these years, you've lost none of your skill.

Interestingly, the McLaren M7C which John Surtees campaigned in the 1970 South African, Spanish, Monte Carlo and Dutch Grands Prix, had "rounded" side-tanks, unlike the rectangular shaped tanks of the M7A/B:-

As did Jo Bonnier's car:-

If you want a low wing version, here's a picture of Vic Elford's Antique Automobiles sponsored car:-

Kind regards

Russell

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Lovely work Dennis and setting an equally very high standard as the absent Howmet's McLaren.

David

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
David, Thanks for the compliment! I have yet to start the body detail and that for me is rather more difficult than the chassis work.

Russel, thanks for the pics - I remember painting an M7B in the Elford colors way back when the GT models body first came out. The maroon and white was a favorite color scheme for me back then. The Surtees version would make a pretty car. Don't know of any moldings or resins around that represent it, so that would be a true scratch build exercise.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Here's a shot of the car at Monaco 1970 which gives a slightly closer look of the side pods if you are brave enough to tackle the scratchbuild.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Betta & Classic do a fibreglass and a vac form of the Ferrari which is accurate in profile but a bit tubby in plan view. It would be a nice model with a longitudinal slice taken out ala a certain Hillman Imp by Graham.

David

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Be careful with the Vacs... I dont off hand remember quite when, but in the Late 60s, ECRA changed their rules from scale bodies to a body scale in WB and length, but not width. Width became standardized. They wanted to get away from cherry picking bodies for width.

This did not happen with the Fibreglas bodies.

I think Charlie Fitzpatric is a GENIUS. I was offended by the Rules changs(like it mattered to me in America!). But it did impress that Charlie was brilliant at distorting the bodies and still making them LOOK GOOD.

Anyway, I have his glas 70 Ferrari, the one in the background. It is beautiful. It is also a good choice being roomier than, say, the Lotus 49!

Fate

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Here's an update on my M7B project:

Received the Classic glass shell, and unfortunately it too is too wide across the panniers, but at least with fiberglass one has a chance of correcting it, so 4mm was cut out of each pannier and everything glued back together. Still some preparation needed on the body, but at least it fits the chassis without modification. I didn't get it as low as I wanted, but it still looks pretty good, and seems to handle OK too - will no doubt get better as I sort out the tires.

Pictures:

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
That looks extremely nice Dennis and I can't wait to see it painted, the rear aerofoil is very accurate looking. The height looks spot on so I wouldn't worry unless you were meaning for handling reasons.

David

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Looking great! And generally am still astonished at anyone who can start off with a bubble-pack for a car (is that stuff called lexan or something else?) and turn it into a great looking car!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Astro, Dennis decided to use a fibreglass shell (see initial post) because the clear plastic body was too far out of scale.

Not sure if I'm the only one going with a "bubble-pack".
Time will tell how much detail I can achieve.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts