SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Been awhile since I've last posted something here...my appologies, been busy, and didn't have anything new to share until now.

I found a McLaren M20 body (Circa 1972) that was made by (I think) Cox/Eldon during the early 70's. I painted and decaled this model after the Denny Humes Can-Am car.

I've mounted the body to one of my Adjustable Stainless Steel chassis. The wheels are from Cartrix (Ferrari style, insides painted flat black). The front tires are Cartrix 20 x 11mm, the rears are Carrera (spare rears for the Pontiac GTO 66 Special). I wanted to achieve the high-profile of the tires and Good-Year print, as on the original 1:1 car.

My clear finish coat is giving me some fits and caused a few issues, but overall the car turned out nice.
Been giving some thought to making a short run of these cars (if I can find more of the bodies), and was wondering what everyone else might think.

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

Tim
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Looks great Tim ,
Hows the chassis sales doing .Are you still going to send a word proxy entry in ,time is getting short,

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi TeaBoy!
Lovely looking car you've got there!
Looks spot-on to me.

I've got one of these Cox/Eldon shells myself,
but the plastic doesn't seem too paint-friendly.
I haven't dared try to paint mine yet as I'm not
an expert painter. But I've been thinking of making
a car exactly like this one for some years now.

Out of curiousity:
What kind of paint did you use? Any primer?
Re. Clear coating, what problems did you experience?

BTW, my car is probably going to be fitted with a
popsicle stick chassis, hommage á Al Penrose... BWA

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Thank you for the compliments guys!

Graham, I completely forgot about the proxy race. Do you have a copy of the rules that you can send me? Thanks!

[email protected]

Hi Chapman,
I didn't use any primer (maybe that was my mistake?) However, I did use some ultra-fine sand paper & a file to bring down some mold imperfections.

I used Testors model paint, but think I'll do this one over with automotive paint.

The clear coat I used was Krylon's Fix-a-Tif. It works 100% of the time on clear bodies. It doesn't react with decals and allows me to overcoat in lacqure. But for some reason it decided to wrinkle and sag on this one---never had that happen before (I've done nearly 200 cars with the stuff). Could be a reaction with the Testors paint, could be the environment conditions weren't right, too thick of application, etc. Just not sure.

Thanks!

Tim
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I've had one of those shells kicking around for ages too. Now I know what it is, and how good it can look, maybe it's time to dig it out...

Mine has a moulded in opaque windscreen though- I was trying to figure out how to replace it easily.

Cool running, Tim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
Yeah, the windscreen is moulded in. I painted it a light grey, seems look pretty good, sorta realistic anyways.

Just did some figuring... to make a short run of these cars, I'm looking at a selling price of $72.00 USD per car (shipping would be $5.00 domestic, about $8.00 international). Need to check my sources to see how many bodies are available, but thinking I can find at least 10 or more. I'm looking into possibly making a Porsche Can-Am mate, the body also made by Cox/Eldon.

I'm expecting my new motors to arrive mid-March, so I'd like to equip any of the cars I make with this new motor.

If anyone is interested in purchasing, I'd like to have at least 6 pre-orders before I commit to making these, as the cost of acquiring the parts is quite high.

If anyone has questions on ordering internationally let me know. On the customs form I try to help out on taxes where I can by declaring only the parts value of my items, not the labor.

Thanks!

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com
[email protected]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
To anyone interested in purchasing a McLaren M20 RTR:

To place a pre-order please drop me an e-mail so we can determine how many people are interested. I need at least 6 pre-orders before I purchase the M20 bodies.

You can send your pre-orders to the following e-mail address:

[email protected]

Please include the quantities you want along with your mailing address.

Thanks!

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts