SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st 1/43 Little Monte Carlo Rally proxy, September 2018.

So here it is, after years of talking about it, I have finally decided to go ahead in September 2018, exact date still to be set!

Ever since I built my 'Little Monte' 1/43 slot rally track (very loosely based on the Col de Turini stage of the Monte Carlo Rally), in 2010/11, I have wanted to run a proxy on it. I kept putting it off until 'the scenery was finished', which it still isnt, but hopefully, will be in time for the event.

In 2015 I did run a stage of the Gentlemen Drivers (French forum) Carrera GO Rally Proxy on the track and was surprised how well most of the cars managed what is a very challenging track, with a fastest time of around 25 seconds. Since that time I have deepened and smoothed out the slot and regularly run cars with ordinary guide flags.

To ease people into trying 1/43 slot car rallying I will run 2 classes:

1/ 1/43 scale models of any actual car that competed in the Monte Carlo Rally between 1950 and 1986. There will be concours marks for the cars in this class that will count towards the overall result. I will go into more detail about eligable cars, available bodies, wheels etc in future posts.

2/ Ready to run 1/43 Carrera GO and SCX Compact rally cars. (Only rally cars} These will need replacement rear tyres to help them on the steep gradients, and may require a little added weight and some trimming of the guide pin. I will go into more detail later.

That gives you 9 months, so plenty of time to build your rally team, you know you want to!

Regards, Lloyd

·
Registered
276 Posts
Great news Lloyd !

687uhf.jpg

When I finished this Alpine I said that if you ever run this proxy at least I have a car that suits to your theme.

So, I'm in with at least this one, maybe more once you let us know how many cars are allowed.

Cheers

Aki

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice work Aki, it really looks the part!

A perfect start to the scale model entries.

Later today I will put up more info about the event and eligable cars.

I am thinking a maximum of 3 cars per entrant, so will be interested in what your other 2 will be!

Regards, Lloyd.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,610 Posts
Excellent news Lloyd,

Great to hear that your layout will get used for its intended purpose.

Count me in for at least one entry, this is my kind of event...

Leo

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Rules post

1/43 Little Monte Carlo Rally proxy, September 2018.

The event will take place on the Little Monte slot rally track in Norfolk UK during early September 2018, on a date yet to be fixed.

The track is a scenic single lane routed MDF rally stage with a track length of approximately 85 feet. The layout is 14' x 3' and the height difference between the lowest and highest points on the track is 5'.

The track has copper tape, so traction magnets will have no aeffect.

This is a mountain rally stage built for 1/43 scale slot cars and is very loosely based on the Col de Turini in the French Alps. The track is challenging to drive and the fastest lap time so far has been around 25 seconds.

*NOTE*: This is a rally proxy and, as such, your cars will driven as quickly as is reasonably possible around a very twisty and sometimes rough stage that is 6' from the floor at it's highest point. The speeds are slower than that of a racetrack, and most 'offs' usually just result in a spin rather than a fall. I have never had any cars damaged whilst driving on this track but the possibility is always there, so please bear this in mind before entering!

Entree fee: 10 British Pounds (up to 3 cars max.). To cover return postage.

The Classes: ( to be run separately)

1/ 1/43 scale models of actual cars that competed in the Monte Carlo Rally (Rallye Monte Carlo), from 1950 to 1986 (inclusive).

2/ Any Carrera GO or SCX Compact RALLY car

Rules

Class 1

1/43 scale models of actual cars that competed in the Monte Carlo Rally (Rallye Monte Carlo), from 1950 to 1986 (inclusive)

Body: Hard plastic or resin, no vacforms.

Body screws must be taped over if loose.

Interior: Must have interior detail and 2 crew.

Chassis: Free

Motor: Free

Tyres: Rubber or urethane.

The cars in class 1 will be judged in a concours for accurate representation and quality of build before the stage part of the event. The concours points WILL count as part of the car's overall placing.

Class 2

Any Carrera GO or SCX Compact RALLY car, standard/stock apart from:

Urethane rear tyres (recommended)

Coat front tyres with varnish or CA.

Added lead to chassis.

Body screws to be taped over if loose.

Fitting flag guide to Carrera GO cars. (optional)

All cars will have a practice session followed by 5 timed laps, the fastest of which will determine placings in class.

In addition, in Class 1, the car's concours score will affect it's overall placing.

Please Note. As this track is different to others on the 1/43 proxy calender, I will be posting further notes about what seems to work best on this track in the next few days.

Regards, Lloyd.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Going on holiday in September will let you know the date when I ask the boss!! Hopefully it won't clash.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,610 Posts
No excuse not to Fluff, especially as I hope for you to be one of the proxy drivers!

Regards, Lloyd.
Hello Lloyd, how many drivers will there be? Will it be one per stage or more than one per stage?

Leo

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,610 Posts
Hello Lloyd,

Thanks for the feedback, that's a fair way to get consistency.

Leo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Lloyd, I just got a nice 1/43 Lancia Delta S4 model that I was going paint like the 1986 winner to use in the proxy and make a custom chassis. However, the wheel base (axle to axle) would only be 55mm with a width of about 42 mm. Do you think this is too small to be a good competitor on your track?

1 - 20 of 237 Posts