SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm planning on scratchbuilding an anglewinder configured Mercedes CLR. Seeing as the only 1/32 body seems to be one of those wing cars, and seeing I'm the fool that I am, I've decided to make my own body aswell as the chassis.

Most chassis are made of brass right? I have a couple of questions;

Whats the best way to support the axel/bearings?

How do I fix the body once its all complete?

What tools shold I cut the brass with?

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm just a newbie so don't think this is set in stone, it's just what I've been doing.

Chassis: Brass and piano wire.
Axle bearing support: Look at the pictures in this forum. It can be inserted in a brass tube, soldered directly to piano wire or slid into a hole in a plate. I use the brass tubing or a hole in a plate.
Body attachment: Pins through the sides of the body or screw it into the body.
Cutting brass: tubing is cut with a sharp knife, like an Exacto. Just roll it back and forth using moderate pressure. Plate is cut with aviation snips, scroll saw, Dremel discs, nibblers or a band saw.

Unfortunately/fortunately you can really do whatever you want to do all of the above. Chassis can also be made of popsicle sticks, tin cans, plastic, PCB etc.
Bear support can be whatever floats your boat. Same with all the rest.

Study some of the pictures posted in this forum and have at it.

·
Gary Skipp
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Both of you

I built a popsicle stick chassis, thanks for Bill or the suggestion and Graham for the instructions.

The motor works on my new sanding box, delivering power to the axel, but I have yet to test it on track as my layout isn't complete.

The chassis seems strong but has a fair bit of torsional twist, I'll add some more bracing tomorow.

Thanks both,
Gary

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Gary

I have a article on building 101 that shows how to make pillow blocks to hold you bushing or bearing.... and another on making a anglewinder..... Graham also has some good info on his site......

http://jbriggsk9.tripod.com/chrisbriggsslotcarpage/id35.html

http://jbriggsk9.tripod.com/chrisbriggsslotcarpage/id22.html

on the torsion bar chassis I used a little different set up for the rear axle carrier, I used a L bracket instead of the pillow blocks... the L bracket is just a little easier to make up.. But for most I use the Pillow blocks front and rear....

As for cutting the brass I use a Dremel and cut off wheels... that is the best thing I have found... But PLEASE wear safty glasses........ the wheels will break and come off at VERY high speeds.....

As for fixing the body to the chassis.. I use a 2 or 4 point mounting system attached to the sides of the body..... I am working on a article for that but am behind on things right now.....

let us see your work whdn you get it done.....

And like the others have said look over the scratch building site here.... you will get a lot of good info and ideas.......

Chris.....

·
Gary Skipp
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My popsicle chassis was rushed and therefore rubbish

I binned it and have started concentrating on the body.

My first plastic attempt looks good from the left side, awkward from all other angles. I changed my mold slightly and am going to try again. I'll keep you informed

I'll try a brass chassis next, thanks for the help, tis very useful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts