SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've just decked out a part of the loft im my semi detached so the space available for track is 4.1m X 2.0m. I know it's not huge but should allow a reasonable sized home track (I hope). The possible (probable) downsides are:

To get this size im my loft means running at floor level:
-so I've put 30cm high borders to retain cars within the 4.1*2 area
-I can easily access the area from one of the 4.1m borders but as the other edges run to the walls and eaves, I'll need to use a grabber to recover cars or crawl over the track area.
-I used tongue and groove floorboard but the supporting horizontal beams had other beams crossing them so even though i' tried to compensate with supporting blocks, the floor isn't totally level (drops of about 1cm in places)

I currently race with magnets (just because thats how the scalextric cars came and because I didn't realise untill reading this forum that taking magnets out was an option
)

I intend to race magless once i've finished spending so long on loft conversions.

SO

What track layouts would you suggest for that floor area?

Any good suggestions for sorting out the small undulations in my DIY job?

Scenery will come later, but at the minute I want to start racing rather than the finer details if that makes sense?

Thanks for any advice

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Hi Crazy, welcome here. Well, in my opinion the first and most important thing is to get started. Planning can be done by taking a beer, sitting in front of your trackspace and just driving several layouts in mind. Thinking about visibility can be useful, on the other hand many in this forums have tunnels and like to drive without seeing the cars in some areas of the track. In my case in the planning-phase I started to think about the future-tracks several times a day and many of the best solutions drained the brain suddenly or last-minute, sometimes while building. I find it easier to think about the flow of a track or its elevation when start is done. My new track for example is build mirror-wise compared with the plan because of a watertube at one wall I didnt think about...Main thing is to "KISS" (keep it simple, stupid) Dont complicate, just have fun. Regards, Jens

Start!-Drink!-Think!-Build!-Kiss!-Have Fun!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for reply

I've tried sitting in there drinking beer and now my ideas are beyond my abilities lol.

Just realised that track layout and evelopment is never finished as it can always be improved.

#when my knees are better i'll be in the loft and racing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Real tracks are never flat, embrace the undulations in yours.

·
Registered
613 Posts
A diagonal straight maximizes its length and an overpass helps equalize lap length. That means some sort of modified figure 8 is the basis of many successful designs. Usually one loop is longer than the other. Add in some turns within each loop and there you are! An easy way to visualize layouts is to grab some sheets of paper and spread them out.
Wood Rectangle Art Flooring Floor
Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

Of course there are several track planning computer programs to do this and help figure out what track pieces are needed. Dive in and have fun!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
As said above, A diagonal straight is how you can get the longest straight, and it's always fun to run the cars full blast at least once per lap!

The fabled Bertrand 8 is a popular design to this end....
This track is a cracking example and in less space than you have I believe.

Maybe check out the 8 x 4 foot layout thread for inspiration and add a few straights or open out the corners in places.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts