SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Sometimes moving does not only make things disappear but also makes them appear,
in a box with a ton of Scalextric classic track i found two old loved ones.

Would like to make them drive-able again but will need some help.
If anybody has or knows where one can find the missing parts please let me know as i would love to see them drive around again.

Scalextric C81 Cooper FJ needs:
missing bottom plate
engine exhausts
little black thingie in front of the motor that clicks it in the body
guide and wires
inserts?
motor carbon brushes and metal clamp wire for brushes.

Scalextric C82 Lotus FJ needs:
engine exhausts
driver right mirror gone
front suspension left side a pin is broke see picture #3 (left when turned upside down)
New tires

Is this doable or should i forget about it?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
What you decide to do depends how badly you want to keep your original cars for sentimental reasons Jaak.
Because you can get really nice boxed examples of the c81 & c82 for £30 - £40.
BTS mouldings sell repro exhausts & wheel inserts.
RSSlotracing sells replacement tyres.
Scalextric car Restorations will sell carbon brushes.

Parts are often best got off donor cars on Ebay. Because of the numbers of c81 & c82`s built the spares you need often come up for sale.

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi, I have a stack of formula juniors in various degrees of completeness, I'm pretty sure I've got the following

Scalextric C81 Cooper FJ needs:
little black thingie in front of the motor that clicks it in the body
guide and wires
inserts?( Do you mean wheel inserts? )
motor carbon brushes and metal clamp wire for brushes.

Scalextric C82 Lotus FJ needs:
front suspension left side a pin is broke see picture #3 (left when turned upside down)
New tires

I've got some NOS tyres that seem in good nick, I'm not sure how much use they would be for racing though?

I'll have a sort and can pop you them in the post if you can make use of them? if you want to PM me your address?

Rob

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Nice one Rob .....

This is what it's all about ........ completely brilliant ..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi, I've now got most of the parts together, but as I have said in the PM I am struggling to find more than 1 wheel insert, If anyone else can help?

I did have a good stash of them, but I imagine the mix of my 3 year old playing with the FJ's and my wifes overactive use of the hoover, could explain why I can't find them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Jaak,

I also may have some spares but it seems there are already enough people offering.
The C81 also needs new tyres I think, they aren't the original ones.
Also both are missing the exhaust pipes, so you may also want to replace those.

Groetjes,
Eric

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh hey Guys,

Thank you very much for the offers, i greatly appreciate them

have not received them yet as Rob had a little delay due to real life thingies.

He has posted them this week and i am not really sure what he has send,
when i receive the parcel i will let you all know and of course show how the cars are looking.
And see if any is needed, i am pretty sure there was no base plate or wheel inserts.
Will ask Rob to be sure, as i do not want to take more advantage of you guys offerings then needed

·
Mike
629 Posts
As everybody seems to have spares for these things, I am looking for lots of bits, and am willing to pay so don't be scared.
Motors # 3
commutator brushes 4 pairs
front axle assembly complete # 2

Scalextric car restorations don't have any of the above
Ta
Mike

I also have some spare bodies early cooper and lotus(red and blue) later lotus (blue) a green lotus top rear suspension detail missing and red porche no nose cone if they help anyone

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Jaak - last weekend I moved to a new house, and look what I found on my attic. Inspired by you I hereby present my very first Scalextric set, the set FJ.30, which my father gave to me at my three years old birthday in January 1964 (or was it indeed a present for himself?).

I remember to have given the Formula Juniors, C.66 Cooper and C.67 Lotus, some new race numbers back in the eighties, but otherwise they are untouched. Tyres are done, bot the engines are running

I must have moved between houses about 30 times since 1964. Amazingly it is still all here!

Cheers, Holger

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow,

That is a nice hidden treasure,
Mine was second hand but that did not take the fun away

I have the box and the track too but that is now mixed with an huge pile of old Classic track of all sorts,
have collected these boxes for a bit and have some very nice ones that will enhance my walls in my soon to be race dungeon eh...room.

Thanks for sharing Holger,
always nice to see historic things like that.

Cheers,
Jaak

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Kev,

I got to thank Clive and Rob once more for there help in restoring these ones.

I just received the bottom plate and the new driver and the hubcaps and an exhaust for the the C81 yesterday from Clive.
Thank you very much for them.

For the C81 yesterday evening i oiled the motor and used some contract spray then slowly ran in the new brushes and now it runs like a beast.
I am extremely happy to say the C81 is now totally restored.

The C82 only misses the rear exhaust but that's no biggy as for the rest it's "complete"
Also oiled the motor and cleaned it, then it drove about 10 centimeters and then let out a poof of smoke,
think the motor died on me.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Very nice indeed Jaak!
Check you haven`t got oil where it shouldn`t be Jaak, but the windings on those little motors can delaminate with age & go pop.

PM me if you want a set of exhausts for that c82 & I`ll get a set in for you next time I order from BTS mouldings.

Cheers
Kev

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Kev,

Thanks for the offer

BTS has fab products but i can not order there,
they do not want to do bank transfers or Paypal...cheques are a no go for me.

About the oil,
I did think of that too and also that the contact spray may have something to do with it,
but i only used a little droplet of oil and the contact i rubbed on the com with a cotton tip.

After that i checked if there was no contact between com points and for loose wires all seemed good,
it also was for a few centimeters

1 - 20 of 26 Posts