SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oke, I still have to update the topic in the Tracks and Scenery, but I couldnt wait to share this with you. As some of you might now, Portimao is my latest track and for the first time a track which has a permanent spot instead of hoisted to the ceiling as my previous tracks. The track is work in progress after a redesign of the garage It is in. But, It is drivable and races can be held. As a season closer, and opening of my new track I had this idea to have a 2 hrs race, with 3 cars, 6 people. 2 drivers per team, when you are not driving you marshall and inform your team mate about fuel status and so on. And clean tyres when refueling.

I had never raced longer races, usually It was lap limited races in different classes. For this race I choose a 2hour race, I thought, but when you enter 120 minutes in SSDC, you get a 1 hr 20 min. race. We found out too late you have to enter 200 minutes for a 2hr race. But It didn't spoil the fun ! (By the way I have pb pro,simple H, SSDC)

Too bad one of the guys couldn't come so I was alone in my team. I picked Carrera cars, as I think they make great models lately with nice characteristics for longer races. One of the cars I initially planned however broke down in the practice and was replaced by a scalextric Mercedes SLR. Eventually we did a 1 hour 10 minutes race, with the mercedes winning in 397 laps, the BMW Z4's came in 27 laps behind, with 4 laps in between. A part of the race was in the dark. The scalextric definitely was quicker, but It was an experience we never forget. Smiling faces all night, lots of laughing and nice competition, and I have learned a lot, even after more than 5 years of SSD racing. I still have to analyse the race data and make a proper review of the night, busy times, but I can share these pictures.

The cars in finishing order

Free practice (above our heads the old track)

Down the main straight

Next to the pit lane

Thanks so far !

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Hi Minardi,

That looks like a great track!

Did you run fuel simulation? And who is the lucky owner of the SCP01?

I found those Carrera Z4's are a bit toooooo tale happy, did you have to tune them?

Wraith and I like to run our Carrera Audi DTM's on our Scaley tracks, have you tried them?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Thanks guys !

The answers;

*Yes, we used fuel simulaton. Because of the endurance event I set the tank size and fuel burn rate so that refuelling lasted about 3 laps. For normal GP's I set It to about 1 lap. You were allowed to pick up the car while refuelling to clean your tires.

*The SCP001 is mine
And I love It. To be honest, I don't play much with the settings, but just the fact I never have to clean It for good contact and the feeling of the throttle are enough benefits to have one.

*Carrera; The Audi DTM got me back looking at Carrera again.I love DTM and just had to try the white Kristensen DTM when I saw It for a nice price. It is brilliant. I agree the Z4's are a little tail happy, but the black/white Dunlop a lot more than the other one, who is better to control. All I did is sand the tyres, and clean them with a little wd40. It doesn't matter as long as the cars on track are about the same, that's why It was too bad the Ferrari Carrera 575 broke down,well the guide did. The only downside of the Carrera's is the guide. While I had the guide of the Audi right in one go, I spend a lot of time on the Z4's to get It to get It around corners and count laps. But I will definitely get more Carrera's.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I an facinated that you demonstrated the need for a pit team to start advising on fuel rate. Digital is getting more facinating the more I do. How many laps/ and or time do you set the fuel tank size to? Was is much diffrent for this long race? From my experience you would want a long lie down after an hour of digital racing ;-). I guess it helps that there was only 3 cars not six. Would you have run 6 cars if you could get the teams?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you look at It, the fact that I was alone in my team and lost with a difference of 4 laps, a team mate to check lap times, and talk about pit strategy would have helped and possible saved me one pit stop. I would have to look up the settings, but a pit stop lasted about 3 laps = 30 seconds. I lowered refuel rate and made the tank size bigger compared to normal GP races.

My track is about 20 metres and I always said that 4 cars is enough. But, a race like this is different. We had an agreement that if you touched someone from the back, you get a stop&go. The faster car should change lanes, unless you are in the same lap and battle for positions. It worked wonderfully well. Soon you know If you are the slower or faster car, and blue flag rule comes into action. For a long endurance race, I would consider 6 cars a possibilty. But I am glad I can find 6 digital drivers, so am not complaining, possibly add a pace car next time.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too late to edit previous post;
QUOTE How many laps/ and or time do you set the fuel tank size to?

A full tank lasted about 35 laps. So that is about 10-11 pit stops in my 369 lap race. (which is about 10 x 30 sec. = 5 minutes of pit stops)
Next time I try to remember that adjusting the braids while pitting has more benefit than cleaning the tyres, unless you have left the track too much before pitting.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you remove the car from the track to adjust the braids or clean tires, does that interfere with either the timing or lap counting?

I have not tried that yet.

Cheers!

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Nope. We do it constantly at our 8 Hour Mini Le-Mans racing - no probs.

·
Greg Gaub
15,365 Posts
Yeah, nothing knows the car isn't on the track.
Laps and such only count when the car crosses the sensors. You won't count laps while the car isn't running, of course. That's why I tell guys who race at my house that they're free to clean the tires any time they like, as often as they like, in the middle of the race if they like.
It's unlikely that slightly cleaner tires will give them enough grip to catch up, but if it's really bad then they should be able to clean them off anyway.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Thanks, guys.
Another question off my check list.

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.