SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Decision made. Too many cars that need action combined with Covid restrictions that mean no racing at other people's homes means it's time to get my own track. So today plans were finalized to build Bass-Seca. Basic track layout and logo done with some finesse still to come. Approximately 40 feet of 2-lane racing. Master builder Art Tschinkel of the Scratch32 website and DART Tires fame begins the build early April. Master wife Dianne to finalize the logo. (Thanks honey!) If all goes well track to come home after this lockdown ends! I'll update as build and install progress is made.

167407324_10159177414970351_213150912305

·
Registered
329 Posts
That will be a fun track, lots of running in a pretty small footprint. Always good to see a new track! Where are the driver stations? Right side? Just thinking about sight lines....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Likely on the right and left sides of the short straight at the bottom of the picture. That will be finalized once the layout gets built. Also considering where to put the dead strip start/finish line so it doesn't interfere wit acceleration of braking.

·
Bob Chapman
6,909 Posts
Love the flow John.
Great design.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update ... I am told track building is well underway. Routing done except for the drop in straight and corkscrew. I was hoping to post some pictures but those will have to wait until the builder sends them to me! More to come!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
June 6th, 2021 .... Coming home! After who knows how many years of racing at multiple home and club tracks, my man cave is getting a new addition! A small but exciting looking layout of approximately 44 feet of 1:32 racing soon to be completed with a track design, with plenty of elevation changes, themed after Laguna Seca's "Corkscrew". I gave my design to track builder extraordinaire Art Tschinkel (check him out at scratch32.com or darthobbies.com) a couple of months ago and, thanks to Covid restrictions, he and I planned how to build a modular track that could be fairly quickly taken apart and reassembled. Art built the basics at his place and today was delivery day! Into a VW Atlas went ALL the pieces and reassembly began. Track reconstruction now done. Lane taping and power go in later as well as border walls and more. I can hardly wait to do some laps! And those first laps will be done in remembrance, and with cars, from racers who are no longer with us.

In the Atlas!

In the basement!

The Corkscrew

Elevation Changes

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice looking track! I presume you made the requisite "Vroooom" noises before taking the photos, and will post the ceremonial first lap powered by a 9V battery before you hook up the power.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice looking track! I presume you made the requisite "Vroooom" noises before taking the photos, and will post the ceremonial first lap powered by a 9V battery before you hook up the power.....
No 9V stuff. Track taped and wired and "unofficial" test laps completed about 5 minutes ago! Gonna be a fun track for the lower RPM cars! Borders now going on. Still a lot to do to and Sunday should be final day before "official" laps. Those first official laps will be done with cars from MIA racers John Flinn and Paddy. JF's car is a beautiful MG, Paddy's is the #66 Acura/Chaparral LMP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
June 10th track taping and power update. A few exploratory laps done/ Some SlotTrak issues to work out, but getting there! And a Mazda parade to show the angles!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Love the corckscrew! The track looks so well cut, clean and smooth, Im sure it will be great to race on it. Congrats!

Cheers

·
ParrotGod
7,809 Posts
Very nice track...but I am not sure about the squeeze.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Lovely flowing track.
Are you filling in the spaces for when cars come off the track?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some more work done June 13th. Walls and curbing done. They'll be painted, and inserts done, this week. A few hundred laps also done in both lanes. The Corkscrew walls not yet glued and layout of those may change, (And fencing on them possibly added)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts