SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan and some shots of the real thing before I start on the scenic side.

The main straight and pit area before grandstand construction starts!

The choices of racing lines on the first corner and "centrefield parking bay" .

Looking along the back straights.

A view of the lower end and pit area.
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
WOW!!!
That really takes some getting to know before you choose where you are going! I can see myself ending up in that single lane dead end bit!
Can you really run 14 cars at once? Won't there be an almighty traffic jam if someone spins? It makes the M25 or the Gran Raccordo Annulare seem quite tame! Getting to the pits requires a map. Is this a rally circuit? Sorry to be so flippant. It really looks very interesting and I'd love to know how you get on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought it might upset the purists!!!

Decided to use digitals abilities to make the driver have to think about getting round the track, so if you blast down the outside on the main straight you have to think about getting back across onto the "racing line". Same on the inside track on the main straight if someone is slipstreaming you, do you dive for the inside line or stay out and keep more power on!

The flyover also means everyone gets a fair share of the Safety Car (in TCR days would have been the jam car!)

Dead end bit is designed to be either an idiot lane or a finish area for a rally time trial i.e start at the other dead end section out onto the track treat it like analogue track 2 laps of the "main" circuit back over the flyover rally cross section and stop the clock on that section, added time for running off!

14 car start area, can race 6 cars, had the track pieces spare, just thought who has ever seen a race track with only six slots on the grid!

I tried the pit entrance at the start of the main straight but cars slowing down for the pit interfere with winding it on for the main straight, and again quite a few F1 circuit seem to have the entrance somewhere like that with a few curves to slow you down on the approach to the pits, same thought on the exit arrangement, you dont pop out infront of someone at full speed! Extra lanes in the pit area also mean if you take the wrong route you dont get a lap count for it.

My plan is DTM/GT on the lower circuit and Rallycross over the top. Remember as a kid watching Rally Cross on Grandstand in the 1970s with 6 cars tearing round a tarmac section at Brands Hatch and then bouncing across what seemed to me at the time to be the infield allways seemed more interesting than the processional RAC type rally.

Anyway thats enough waffling will add more pics as I go along!

Dave

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kept looking at the dead end thinking it should go somewhere !

After I took the hacksaw to the first piece of track it got easier each extra piece I cut.

The tunnel corner and the track over the top are the rally circuit (theres quite a drop to get it down to the start of the pit lane)

The inner circuit is a driver training circuit and can be added into a rally lap or maybe as a penalty lap for offs, although the lane next to the pit is already the stop-go penalty as it doesnt count a lap.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Rene

Yes Im over halfway to completing the copper taping of the track as discussed on the masterclass thread. It makes the cars much smoother and faster.

Im struggling to type this as the copper tape has cut my fingertips to shreds.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello again.

Some new pics, a restart on the scenic side and copper tape has appeared on most of the circuit.

Here along the main straight, pit entrance (next to the lap counter) and most of the "driver training loop".

Next the flyover (centre), main route (right) and exit from the tunnel (left)

Finally for now, the entrance to the tunnel and pit exit.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1/2 a year has gone since my last update!!! Where did it go? (renovating the bathroom actually)

A change to the track plan, and my first attempts at scenic work (take it easy, Im no Brad or GL!!!).

The good quality camera makes it look worse than it is!!!!!

Changes to the track for more speed on the main circuit and make the rally circut more challenging with the "Famous Forum vote on it corner" that got some people steamed up!!

The Indy curve leading into the main straight, the Dumbrek in the red astra has been second guessed and is forced to slipstream until a passing opportunity arises. The track plan doesnt quite show it but Ive added a couple of small straight sections in Indy corner which can just unsettle cars travelling through the curve.

The Reuter in the grey astra takes the inside line into turn 1. Health and Safety regulations have been ignored as work continues on the pit wall in the background.

Dumbrek carries more speed into the corner and has the advantage

The helicopter shot shows the 4 lanes round the first bend with my 5 minute catch fencing and bumpy copper taping in evidence. Ive tried mixing dried coffee grounds in my paint on the outside border to simulate the rubber "marbles" found off the racing line (some of them have rolled away leaving the original green showing through!).

5 min fencing, made from kebab sticks and plaster board joining tape from the bathroom(it needs a coat of paint, grey or silver?)

Again Reuter is slightly in the lead as they approach the two xovers that have a big impact on any race.

Corner two at the summit of the circuit, it tightens up just out of the shot, the outside track is the flyover onto the pit lane/centre area. I tried to make the track slightly grippy here as if its been repaired, with the plasterboard adhesive ive been using as a scenic product (again free from the bathroom renovation). It needs weathering properly.

Dumbreck has switched inside whilst Reuter has moved out to take a wider line as the battle hots up ,

The track disappearing into the tunnel reappears onto the 5 length up hill straight leading to "Forum Corner", which is seen here awaiting my attempts at building a bridge (egg boxes are being stock piled as we speak).

Of the 4 lanes underneath the front two lead to the Indy corner, the third to the pit lane with the fourth being part of the infield driver training school/rally track.

Having shot down the hill, round Esso Elbow and under Forum Corner the Dumbrek's Astra has the inside line through the Indy corner and just noses in front.

Dumbrek has the inside line this time and Reuter has moved onto the outside, he must cut back to avoid a drive through penalty for using the flyover! In the foreground is the exit from the pits and the first corner on the rally track.

Hope you enjoyed your lap!!!

Dave

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
What an enjoyable track, Well thought and constructed, keep the updates comming.

Kind regards from Denmark

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few tweaks to the track layout, Ive made a more "conventional" pitlane with drive thru penalty area and combined the two rally loops into one.

I think I need a curved Xover on the NE corner to be help novices who miss the switch from the after turn 1.

If I disconnect the digital control gear, I have a very long single lane analogue track.

Ive done some scenic work and will post some pics soon.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
873 Posts
Looks great, and I guess it is a blast to drive. Never seen so much track in one pic before
. Look forward to c the scenery, and if I ever get to drive this circuit I guess I need a few schapps to help my sence of direction
Keep the updates coming, Per

·
Registered
278 Posts
An update at last!

Had the people in to do some work in the bedroom below my track, what should have been an easy task of boarding underneath the old ceiling went wrong, they brought the ceiling down, the whole house was covered in a over a centurys worth of fine filthy dust, plaster, pieces of insulation. I came home from work to find the house like a coal mine.

A couple of week of hard work, including air brushing the insides of the pc to get the dust out put me in a position to get up into the loft and survey the damage. The whole room was covered in the dust which had drifted up throught the joists, .

The only thing to do was dismantle everything, clean it and start again.

A few word of obituary are appropriate for my old track fastest main circuit(none-mag) lap times were ;
DTM 4.81 Opel Vectra
GT 4.80 SCX Club Porsche
Rally 4.91 Skoda Fabia

Starting again has given me the opportunity to have a fast section with a nice hairpin and access from one side instead of having to walk all the way round the track for a deslot.

Here is a track plan and some pictures

The start and pits area

Down to the hairpin on the long straight.

Next need to re-copper tape the entire track!

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
QUOTE (corvette @ 30 May 2008, 15:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a quick question about your barriers.
They look like REAL concrete barriers! Did you make them or buy them?
Would you be so kind as to tell us where, if you bought them?

It appears you can insert mesh or the like in the top.

Thanks.

Cheers!

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
thats SCX borders/Barriers I think.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.