SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Hi,

First a photo of a 1/24 ferrari by the Italian company Unicar. It has an interesting chassis; don't you think?

The next group of photos is of an very, very rare slot car. It's a Soviet (Russian) 1/43 scale metal bodied Pobieda ("Victory").
This model represents the Victory body style from 1947-1954. After that the grill was changed completely. The motor is an ac vibrator. The 4 wheels turn freely, and the car is moved by the flat rubber wheel located in the center of the chassis. You can see 2 little wires on each side of the chassis which are used to pick up current from the track. It has a thin metal pin guide. While it represents a Soviet era car I wonder if it was actually made in the Soviet Union. I think the car was made possibly before Scalextric because the model it represents was made from 1947-1954. It had to have been made in the Soviet Bloc, perhaps the German Democratic Republic or Czechoslovakia.

Thanks,
Bernard

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
Thanks Bernard - that's really quite a contrast!

I assume you meant the Italian company Unicar, and not the Italian copy, but if not, let me know and I'll change it back! The only Unicar I have with a Ferrari hard body has a blue anodized aluminum chassis... I know they later made plastic chassis, but with vac-form bodies, like the Aerodinamica.

That "Soviet" car is really a stunner... I know we've talked about it, and you've done a lot of good research to find out what car it is... (my local diecast dealer had no idea what it is). If there was some kind of tabletop racing/road set in the late 40s or early 50s in the Soviet Bloc that would be amazing! Maybe one of our Russian or Czech or German members can help, if we have any from that era...

Don

·
Registered
402 Posts
HI Bernard,

Thanks!!! Another great car. The Soviet Union and slot racing .. the history yet to be written . at least in the West!!!

all my very best,

Charles

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Hi Bernard,
It is a bit unfair to the USSR to compare a toy likely produced (in my opinion) in 1957-1960 in Czechoslovakia to an Italian slot car of which the body was produced in 1967 and the chassis in 1969.
A fairer comparison would be to set a Schuco "Varianto" electric powered vehicle manufactured at the same time next to the Pobieda. Then the obvious superiority of the evil kapitalist German toy would shine...

Train Gas Rolling stock Rectangle Rolling

The Unicar Ferrari Dino kit comes with an blue-anodized aluminum chassis and a Mabuchi FT36D motor, but the later Nylon chassis with the FT26 motor is adaptable as both the body and the chassis were supplied as spare parts. They are two years apart in Unicar history.

We discussed that Pobieda before between us, but I am not at all convinced that it was produced in the early 1950's, I would believe more in the LATE 1950's.
The issue is that the production of metal toys during the Cold War was extremely limited until the late 1950's in the Eastern bloc in the same manner as full-size automobile and motorcycle production, because metals were mainly used for military or building use. Hence most of the toys made before the late 1950's in Soviet Union were made of composite materials such as wood, paper-mache, celluloid, Bakelite and other fragile materials... the first tinplate toy cars I have been able to trace are from 1959.

Another possible clue is that the GAZ-20M Pobieda fastback design does not appear to have been produced before 1958:

Before that, they had more of a notch-back design:

Of course the toy lacks great precision so it is difficult to tell which the toy makers wanted to represent...
Another wonderful little mystery for us to solve, were the Russkis first to make slot car sets?

Attachments

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi phillipe,i guess your right to say its unfair to compare the 2.
i really was just lazy & wanted to put both on at the same time.
next time i will compare more compatable cars.the soviet car with that grill @ a fastback was made from 1947-1954.around 54-55 they redesigned the grill which was used on the later models.i saw some when i lived in the soviet union for a year in 1981.you are right the car is a mystery that needs to be solved.i hope putting it on this site might help unravel its mystery.
perhaps the car was made in the late 50s,but because its an earlier model car i would bet not.but who knows?
i will have more mysterist soviet slot cars to show within the month comrades.thanks,bernard

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Hi Bernard,
Don't worry too much about the comments of an old foggy!

And by any means, anyone here is very grateful that you are kind enough to post all these odd and unknown pieces of model car racing history!

May Santa bring you a mint, boxed, Paruna set or something fun!

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Phillipe.your wish was just answered.tonight i bought a italian conti car(1948),an italian rivarossi set(1948),& a metal bodied joma simca marley station wagon(1958-59).thanks for the kind thoughts & may you have a merry christmas.bernard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts