SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not into bikes but this little snippet occurred at the weekend.

Quote from Super-Bike News

QUOTE Michael Rutter won both Superbike races at the Junction One International North West 200 in front of more than 100,000 sun-drenched spectators in Northern Ireland. The HM Plant Honda Racing star was invincible on the factory CBR1000RR Fireblade over the nine-mile public roads circuit which links the towns of Portrush, Portstewart and Coleraine on the North Antrim coast.

Leading from start to finish, Rutter picked up his ninth victory on the North West 200 course to equal his dad Tony's tally of wins over the famous triangle circuit. He went one better in the six-lap Black Horse NW200 Superbike race to join the elite band of road racing heroes who have amassed ten or more victories at Ulster's premier sporting event.

. . . but the most impressive statistic was saved for the top speed of 201.1mph that Rutter achieved on lap four - the first time that the 200mph mark had been broken through the speed trap at the event.

What is remarkable about that 200mph is that it took place on UK public roads!
The lap record is just over 121mph.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Tropi @ 17 May 2004, 21:58)What is remarkable about that 200mph is that it took place on UK public roads!
The lap record is just over 121mph.
No big deal, Tropi...the roads were closed off!!
Actually I wonder if there's any on-bike footage?

Mark.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There will be a TON of excellent on-bike footage if previous years are anything to go by. But I haven't found any yet and had a good rake around before posting.

I've been watching last year's exellent coverage and was totally gripped in spite of not being a 'biker' Those people are 100% totally insane!

·
Registered
256 Posts
i am a bike rider (ducati 748sp) which i ride on tracks because the roads are full of volvo driving idiots and believe you me 200mph on uk roads is simply awsome roads in the uk are not like in canada or usa we have bends in them

pot holes, manhole covers, positioned on the apex of corners (good planing that) to name a few obstacles also the roads over here are a lot narrower and if you have ever seen that race live which i have they are gods you make a mistake at that speed and the hay bale that they put in front of the lamp post is not gonna stop u getting killed it just acts as a sponge to mop your guts up !

·
Registered
147 Posts
QUOTE You obviously haven't driven to work in Toronto from the outlying suburbs....

I had to slow way down when I moved to Toronto from England in 84 ,
the powers that be took away my License for 30 days for speeding !
I had never in 15 years of driving in England and Europe ever had a speeding ticket !

Richard

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (PAULH @ 17 May 2004, 22:53)pot holes, manhole covers, positioned on the apex of corners (good planing that) to name a few obstacles also the roads over here are a lot narrower and if you have ever seen that race live which i have they are gods you make a mistake at that speed and the hay bale that they put in front of the lamp post is not gonna stop u getting killed it just acts as a sponge to mop your guts up !
I know what you mean Paul - there's quite a few bends near where I live with apex-centred manhole covers
I too am in awe of 200mph on a UK road - my tonguw was firmly in cheek as regards my comments before. My poor little TDM850 is only good for 130mph INDICATED (so will be slower) and I've only done that on relatively well surfaced, wide 3 lane roads which are prefixed with an 'M' - i.e. anyone can do that.

It takes some real nerve, to compete in a road race. At three figure speeds the "track" is far too narrow

Keep it rubber side down on the black stuff!

Mark.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
These are ordinary two-way, single carriageway roads in normal everyday life, approximately 24 feet wide. It's absolutely terrifying to watch, particularly when wet! Godnose how the riders manage. Mad as hatters the lot of them!
I'll continue to look for pictures

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bike racing is a young man's sport. Why? A young man believes himself to be invulnerable, and a young man with some talent? God-like at 200 mph on any bike, anywhere. The TT race is my favorite. the scariest track in the world. Oooh yeah tis bike season again!
Time for some slow-motion throttle twisting on the old R75
We old guys fly a little slower..............

Here's to the new season of the race gods!
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
As an ex motorcycle road racer in my younger days, and after watching the race on the Speed Channel in the USA, I have a lot of respect for these guys, because I can't think of something more dangerous to do. I went to the TT in 1962 and 1963 with fragile Bultacos and even at much lower speeds (may be 120 tops), it was plain scary.
Regards,

Dr. Pea

·
Registered
773 Posts
1 mph = 1,609344 km/h
The fastest I did on a motorcycle has been a 280km/h = 174mph - and this has been awesome!

My deepest respect for everyone who's able to handle 200mph!

Today I'm driving a Buell XBR12S - more torque than hp - and it's a different kind of driving - but the most fun I ever had on a motorcycle - and I'm active driving for 25 years now - everything between 1 and 6 cylinders on 2 wheels...

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
OK! Found the Local TV station's news bulletins.
UTV News

That link above is the narrowband version - broadband link also available at much better quality.

There are a couple of standalone station announcements of a few seconds each at the start.
Let them run.
When the News starts, drag the slider to just past halfway on the scale and you will catch a little of the action.

Don't watch the rest of the local news, it's just TOO depressing!

·
John Roche
4,203 Posts
I would heartily reccomend a visit to the North West 200. The racing is spectacular and the Irish know how to party afterwards.

John

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
My first comment was obviously (I hope) tongue-in-cheek. My last bike was a Kawi GPz 550 modded to about 70 HP, good for about 150 MPH. At that speed, my unmentionables were in my mouth (figure of speech!). I was once clocked by the police at 135 in a 50 zone, but talked my way out of it - it's great being stopped by a bike cop!
200 on a bike, in any circumstance, requires far bigger unmentionables than I possess. I routinely watch bike racing - everything from Moto GP to Isle of Man - and my respect for those guys is immense. However, I also think they lack certain DNA patterns that give the rest of us a sensible value of our lives.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE Talked your way out of 135 in a 50?!?!?!?!

My god, your good...

Not really, just very, very lucky. It was a bike cop, and the GPz550 was still a new model at the time. He was more interested in what had been done to the bike to get it to 135 in the short piece of road involved than he was in the fact that I should have been hauled off to explain myself at the station. We chatted for quite some time (he didn't catch up to me until I had pulled into my own drive) and when he left, he said "Do try not to draw my attention a second time!", grinned as if to add "...cause I'll throw the book at you!", and drove off.

I saw him several times again on the road, and we always waved, but I made sure I behaved within his territory, though elsewhere was sometimes a different story.
In reality, his method worked even better than a ticket - I respected him enough not to "draw his attention" a second time!

·
Registered
256 Posts
awesom i have had similar experiences with bike police when out playing they definitely cut you more slack than if you are a spotty herbert in a subaru

1 - 20 of 20 Posts