SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Bummer, the Marconi proxy race forum is being hosted by SCI.... I was chased away from SCI by the "only post good things about the manufacturers" and "do not refer to any European or non-sponsor retailers" attitude. Same thing happened to me on OWH.... It's called the Smith Factor

Oh well, I guess I won't be participating in any of the Marconi discussion then...

I did read that the track will be set-up at Buena Park Raceway in a few weeks time. The year before last the race was run at BPR as well and some of the entrants had the opportunity to test their cars on the track beforehand and gained a massive advantage, which I didn't think really constituted the spirit of proxy racing...

Kind regards,

Russell

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Please talk more about this concept of proxy racing. I was chatting to Swiss about it today as it's one of the things I've learnt about only recently.

Does anything like it happen around here?

How are drivers chosen? How do you as a builder, match up with a particular driver? Does the driver choose the car or visa versa?

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Hi Russell,
I think that you should forget about the side of SCI with which you have gripes, because the forum is strictly HOSTED by SCI and I am the moderator as agreed with Ken.
So please do not hesitate to post, as any honest contribution placed in regard to the Marconi proxy will be honored.
I asked Ken to host the forum so as to get it a much greater audience than I would have achieved on my own, I hope that you understand.

As far as the track, yes, it is possible for 'locals" to get to practice with their cars, and it has been a factor in the past when Dennis Hill dominated the 2001 race with his Toyota-Eagle rocketship, only to loose on Concours points...

But this year is different because the basic track is a Carrera layout, with testing accessible to all since anyone can get a test track set up in their homes. Since no traction goop is allowed, since no foam tires are allowed, it should be pretty equal even if you live in Tumbuctu... Carrera is Carrera, wherever you go.

To answer Nuro's questions:

The Marconi Proxy is run as a "benevolent dictatorship". In other words, I, your benevolent dictator, choose the venue, choose the drivers, the Concours judges...

Since the drivers drive ALL the cars on ALL the lanes, it absolutely does NOT matter WHO drives your car since they ALL do. We select and invite the very best in California to drive, and have never been disappointed in the past. We had some conflict in the past where entrants actually drove their car (in one heat), but it has never been a problem where a car lost because of biased driving. This year we should have enough drivers to avoid this problem.

Also remember that I make the final decision, and if there is something unfair, I generally squash it, so that in the past, the best cars won, period. We DID encounter problems in the past, especially last year when we were using an electrical outlet that, unbeknown to us, had a built-in 10 amp circuit breaker. Since my own car was a victim of this, I don't think we favorised anyone... Also remember, it IS FOR CHARITY!
Regards,

Philippe

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"with testing accessible to all since anyone can get a test track set up in their homes."

That isn't entirely true. I know I can't, and I certainly don't have access to a high output power supply.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah but not every one owns Carrera track. And then in regard to the power supply this little snippet from the rules pops up. Shades of the days of the Old *&#@%$ real 45 ohm controllers used a while back . How much will they limit the type of motors used as far as amp draw??????

From the Marconi rules -----

"Power will be by a single, 14-volt, 30A Pyramid power supply, feeding in 3 power tracks. No extra power taps will be used. Electronic controllers of 45-Ohm or equivalent resistance, by Professor Motor will be used, supplied by with dynamic brakes. Brake wire will be in use at all times during the competition."

Brakes are fine but the 45 ohms can be a really chiller. As in the past, so think twice about high horsepower motors to drag those magnets around.!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
<<Please talk more about this concept of proxy racing. I was chatting to Swiss about it today as it's one of the things I've learnt about only recently.

Does anything like it happen around here?

How are drivers chosen? How do you as a builder, match up with a particular driver? Does the driver choose the car or visa versa?>>

Hi Nuro

The Proxy racing is a lot of fun if you are a builder....... And all of the races I have been involved with are for scratch built chassis.....

We just finished a 7 race series that consisted of one leg here in the US at my track, 3 races in Australia and the final 3 races were held in the UK... One of the races was held at Sean's track at Pendle.... The class was for ALMS and LeMans cars......

The host of the races or in this case the Aussy gang and myself came up with the rules..... ( the rules for this years cars can be seen on my site at http://jbriggsk9.tripod.com/chrisbriggsslo...age/index.html) along with some of the results and links to the Aussy site......

The cars are all built to a set of rules and the type of motors that are allowed....

Then the cars are sent around the world in this case

The drivers are normally club members and they are assigned to a lane and the cars are rotated through the lanes.......

Chris

·
Registered
721 Posts
Proxy racing is such a great concept though I don't think a driver should ever drive their own car. Are the spoils then given to the winning car and driver?

BTW,

It seems incredible that a forum would not do all it could to have a person of Russell Sheldon's slot car pedigree as a contributor. Imagine turning away Colin Chapman in a 1:1 forum!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Gosh Dennis, I'm embarrassed... About the only thing that Colin Chapman and myself have in common is that we both build/built pretty fragile cars!

The Marconi Charity Proxy Race is definitely well worth supporting, regardless of one's scratchbuilding ability. Some of the most basic cars are the most successful, thanks in the main to the clever power/controller formula.

The Marconi Foundation for Disadvantaged Kids is the beneficiary of all entry fees and donations received. Over the few past years, the event has raised in excess of $3,500 for this most deserving charity, helping disadvantaged kids who have probably never seen a slot car, let alone ever having owned one.

Originally, this year's race was be held on two six-lane tracks, a Scalextric "Sport" track, kindly donated by Scalextric-USA, and a Carrera track, kindly donated by Carrera GmbH. From what I understand, the event may now only be run on the Carrera track, which is being set up at Buena Park Raceway. Professor Motor will supply the controllers.

Previous Marconi Foundation Charity proxy races have attracted entries from all around the world -- including the USA, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Brazil, Greece, France, Germany and the United Arab Emirates (of course!).

The proxy drivers will be among some of the best and most respected slot car racers in the world. Previous drivers were USRA and USCCA multiple National Champion Greg Gilbert, New Zealand's Chris Radisich and the legendary John "The Jet" Cukras.

Although the event is mainly for 1/32nd scale cars, this year will see the introduction of a new class, 1/24th scale TSRF based hard body Le Mans cars. The classes being raced are:

-Class A: Two-seater Sports & GT cars 1950 - 1974 included.

-Class B: Grand Prix, Formula (1, 2, F5000, A), Indianapolis, USAC, CART and IRL open-wheel cars 1925 to 2003.

-Class C: TSRF32 FIA Sports-Prototype and Grand Touring "hard" bodies (injection-moulded plastic, fibreglass or resin), 1960 to 2003.

-Class D: Mini-Mania*.

-Class E: "OK, Anything Goes" class. GTP, ALMS and LMP cars, 1979 to 2003.

-Class F: TSRF24 GTP, GT1, ALMS and LMP. Stock chassis with 1 TSRF traction magnet allowed (Carrera Track). Bodies MUST be injected plastic, such as from kits by Revell, Tamiya, Hasegawa and others.

Full details, including rules and regulations, can be found at:
http://www.electric-dreams.com/proxy2003/p2003-rules.htm

*This is a special class for scratch-built Mini's, using unmodified Airfix Mini bodies, which have been kindly donated by John Robinson of MRRC. Some great entries were received for last year's race, see:

http://www.electric-dreams.com/marconiprox...NIA-entries.htm

In all the classes, there is a strong emphasis on scale appearance and all entries must be scale models of actual cars raced. Concours d'Elegance counts for 50% of the points scored and race results the other 50%, the combined scores determining the overall winners in each of the classes.

I hope to see all of you enter!

Kind regards

Russell

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Jim,

I saw elsewhere that you thought that there wouldn't be a class for Can-Am cars this year.

Can-Am cars (from the 1966 to 1974 series, when sex was safe and speed was dangerous, qualify for Class "A":-

Two-seater Sports & GT cars 1950 - 1974 included.

No magnets!

Kind regards

Russell

·
John Roche
4,233 Posts
I've entered the last 2 years but unfortunately I've run out of time this year. My scratchbuilding skills aren't that great but it's a good cause and each car I build is slightly better than the last.

If you can't enter you can always give a donation to the charity.

Cheers,

John

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I am trying hard to get sorted but I doubt I will be finished in time for this year ( sorry Al!)
I will for definate be entering at least one class next year - with the Bentley Blower of course..

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I understand that the event is postponed for approximately two weeks due to the illness of PdL, Mister P, the 'Man of many parts"! I sincerely and confidently hope that he recovers soon - it's hard to keep a good man down!

Perhaps LSIntegra, Russell or TSRF himself will bring us the update when it is settled?

PS
Even if you have no intention of ever Proxy Racing, this event always throws up a TON of ideas on how to build or adapt some of the best 1/32 scale race cars on the planet and is WELL worth keeping an eye on. Not least because it is run by one of the most entertaining and well-known names on the World Sot Scene - Philippe deLespinay, Mr TSRF - one of the walking, talking encyclopaedias of our hobby!

·
John Roche
4,233 Posts
I had originally planned to enter but thought I had run out of time. I built a chassis last weekend for one of Mac Pinches Auto Union bodies so i might be able to enter that. I'm typing this in between coats of paint.

Cheers,

John

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.