Cars C2488 Ford Focus Police & plain blue Subaru setcar Q2

Road Rivals
Cars Audi TTR & Porsche Boxster Q2

Check out more sets and photos at MRE.

Photos used with permission of MRE. Thanks

G

·
Thank you Nuro, I know this makes me a sad person but I have got to have the
Starsky and Hutch cars. I really liked the TV series.

RR

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I liked it first time around, but I don't know if it would rattle my cage now.

My wife on the other hand still likes it - I have no idea why... This is perhaps a means to get her interested in slots.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So what has the guy driving the Subaru done then?

A set with a police chase!

And also note that all the sets shown here have lots of impact/crash/nerf points.

You don't think that has something to do with Bash n Crash being the most successful Scalextric set of all time do you?

Say what you like but kids like trying to knock each other off. Its part of the game and I am glad to see that somebody understands that!

However, I do accept that this is an "adult" site!

There will be a much larger Scaley fan base among the youngsters next Xmas as a result. And ultimately this will feed into the clubs.

And the other set will pull the ladies in. You know the one I am taking about!

It seems that motor sport orientated sets are taking a back seat this year.

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Perfidious Wankel

Oh, boy. You see, when they announced THE Torino, the one with the stripe, I thought, "how sad". Now I look at it, I think, "Oh, wow! That looks excellent."

Sheesh, how many would they have shifted when the series was at its height?

But just to be awkward, I really, really hope someone in Margate thinks twice about the Road Rivals set. What are they saying to kids here, on the road it's okay to punt a guy off? These ain't race liveries and the purpose of the set appears to be physical, hard contact nerfing.

And this from the company that won't do ciggy sponsored cars?

Wires crossed somewhere (but are they mine?).

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Good point mate but I know a few adults that like knocking each other off too! (in the slot racing sense of course!). Ever raced against Trevor-he -kows-who-he-is!!?

I bought the cop car for the Phoenix youngsters but it is a bit heavy and takes about 20 metres to slow down!

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I understand correctly, the X stands for a crossing piece in the set. And an "impact star" on the box suggests an impact point on the track. And when I go to the MRE website, I see that the X4 F1 set also has a crossing piece and impact points. Please explain to me where F1 cars cross each other in a figure 8 type of track (I know Suzuka has an overpass but it's not a crossing on the same level).

(But I like the new X4 layout, except for the crossing).

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
initial reaction to seeing this on the front page..

What the Effing hell are they doing? the melons!

not good to wipe people out on the road so my great slide drop and roll take out two other guys last night wasnt fair? oh well!

Rob.

p.s I CERTAINLY wont be buying any of these

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't think most of us will be buying the sets anyways, as we likely have plenty of track. Well, never enough, but you know what I mean.

I am glad to see pictures of the cars. Someone went to a lot of trouble to find pics of the 1:1 for nearly all of the upcoming releases. Many of those will be going on my must-have list.

I wonder if the move to cross-overs instead of bridges has to do with ease of set-up as much as the crashing. We all know that you win the race by NOT crashing. Of course kids like the wrecks, but they can crash cars on my setup with no crossovers just fine.

I guess I see it as more like a good amount of track in a smaller space, easy to set up, and hopefully teaching kids to NOT crash their cars.

Optimistic, maybe, but not the first sign of the apocolypse, either.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If I had a £ for every parent that has come to me at Phoenix with the same problem of.... "He`s broke the cars and the whole set has been put away for a year" Well lets just say I`d be a rich man. The F1 cars will not stand for being bashed as they are too fragile at the front end and tend to fall apart after a bad `off`.

Even the kids are a little more sophisticated than that nowadays. Perhaps a chase system that makes the bad guys car cut out would be better. In the school holidays I run a holiday club and the kids love `catch the rabbit`. Start the cars at oppisite points and the first to catch up the the others car wins. It is also a good way to get them to focus and concentrate and learn to drive better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wonder if someone will do 1/32 figures in big knitted cardigans?

Timing of Starshy car perfect - all us kids who watched and loved it are now old enough to have serious disposable income and buy all sorts of 70's tack. Not that this car will be tacky. Well, it might be, but I want one anyway.

Scott

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
"If I understand correctly, the X stands for a crossing piece in the set. And an "impact star" on the box suggests an impact point on the track. And when I go to the MRE website, I see that the X4 F1 set also has a crossing piece and impact points. Please explain to me where F1 cars cross each other in a figure 8 type of track (I know Suzuka has an overpass but it's not a crossing on the same level).

(But I like the new X4 layout, except for the crossing)."

No, when you take another close look you'll see that X3 and X4 circuits don't have a crossing, but a (normal?) bridge. Why Scalex places the impact symbol there - I don't know.

G

·
I have a lot of happy 70's memories. I meet my wife (I could not believe how beautiful she was and still is) and I loved the music and when out dancing nearly every night.

Got to have the Starsky and Hutch cars.

RR

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Being a bit of an abrasive character (apparently) I gave up on the two `Hamshank` Coppers when they started cuddling and all that. I would be happier to see a Sweeny set..."Shut it!" or Bodie and Doyle? now where did I hide those flares?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
No it should be based on real life as seen on the streets of sunny Redditch,i.e. any stupid small hatchback with daft as you like body mouldings and stupid go faster paint work with lots of teenage passengers wearing baseball caps cramped inside!.... as the Cop car has a siren for sound effects the teenage tosser mobile should come complete with blaring car stereo. I`d enjoy smashing that off the track no end!!

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Hmmm, do you think they will continue with the TT now that Audi have dropped it in favour of racing the A4? I heard all the cars in the DTM this year would be four door saloons.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
QUOTE No it should be based on real life as seen on the streets of sunny Redditch,i.e. any stupid small hatchback with daft as you like body mouldings and stupid go faster paint work with lots of teenage passengers wearing baseball caps cramped inside!.... as the Cop car has a siren for sound effects the teenage tosser mobile should come complete with blaring car stereo. I`d enjoy smashing that off the track no end!!

make that a Nova 1.3SR with 5 rather scallish looking kids in giving it the lowering effect with lots of the original bumper cut out to acheive the Jap "screaming gob" style grill. A nice cheap Argos head unit nicely power one sub in the boot with Dead Prez - Hip Hop playing on a tape.. oh dont forget the burberry hats and that etc...

Rob.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts