Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
This first mini series final of 2012 saw 12 compete for the Group C title. It was bitterly cold with the wimpy ones (myself included) hogging the electirc heaters as the gas ran out on the turbine heater within 5mins.

Anyway Laurence took on Little Andy and David Collins in the D final with David romping to a victory to claim his place in the C final. Laurence's speed continued to improve although the deslots hampered his performance somewhat.

David joined Ricky, Andy Merry and David Farrow in the C final. Ricky lost touch early on with an eyelet popping out and Andy came out a couple of times leaving the Davids to slug it out from early on. David Farrow had about 1/2 lap lead and so it remained until the last section when David C came out a few too many times allowing David F to take a comfortable win.

David F then joined Dick, David Twigg and **** Thompson in the B final. All were evenly matched speed wise but **** and Dick came out too much and David F a couple of times in the first section allowing David Twigg to build a good 1/2 lap lead. He built on this until an eyelet popped out and he lost 3 laps. This allowed David Farrow to take the lead followed by ****, Dick and then David. David T managed to overhaul Dick in to third but could not make up the ground lost to the other two. David F quite comfortably kept his lead taking a place in the A final.

He joined myself, **** Kerr and Andy Dunmore. David and Andy had a coming together that dropped them both 1/2 lap behind very early on, with **** and I finishing the first and second section neck and neck. David F came off a few times and that put him firmly in last place where he stayed. Andy could match the pace of us leaders, but pushing to catch up came off a couple of times whihc meant he remained in third. In the third section **** pulled a lead but one off and a resultant pile of c##p on his tyres, which he taped off, gave me a good laps lead going in to the last section. I was not going to relinquish that and I thanked the other racers for their generosity in giving me the win.

Next week F1 and then Classic GP

Matt

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
First round of the 2012 F1 series last night with 9 brave soles risking being snowed in to a potentially icy warehouse grave overnight. However with the gas turbine happily pumping out the heat and the in built warehouse ventiliation system minimising the risk of CO poisoning it was a rather pleasant environment.

David Farrow took up the first qualifying mantle being the lowest F1 points finisher of 2011 present - he posted an excellent time of 9.489 seconds. This was bettered with the erratic but fast Daivd Twigg with a 9.483 and then **** Thompson with a 9.481. **** Kerr lowered the bar to 9.172 and then I took the outright qualifying lap record with a 8.893 seconds. Andy Dunmore whom won the series in 2011 could not match my or **** K's time but finished with a 9.3 seconds to take 3rd in qualifying and a place in the A final.

So the C final consisted of Laurence, Andy Merry and Little Andy. Laurence's car was not quite on par with the others and while he ended not too far behind he was never contending for the win. Little Andy and Andy Merry jostled for the win with Little Andy being more consitent and Andy Merry putting in much quicker lap times but coming out and needing tyre cleaning stops put him too far behind and allowed Little Andy to claim a place in the B final.

He joined David Twigg, **** Thompson and David Farrow. Little Andy overcooked one corner and took out David Farrow and **** Thompson leaving David Twigg to take a good 1/2 lap lead by the end of the first lap. **** Thompson (using one of **** Kerr's cars) kept on deslotting allowing David Farrow in to second. Little Andy could not match the others pace and slipped in to 4th. **** Thompson eventually got the hang of driving and by the end of the second section took the lead and romped to a victory. David Twigg had tyre problems but so did David Farrow and the need to repeatedly clean them put them both out of contention to the point where Little Andy took 2nd in the B final followed by David Farrow and then David Twigg.

**** Thompson joined myself, **** Kerr and Andy Dunmore in the A final. I romped home to a very comfortable victory but the others had an excellent scrap. **** Kerr picked up a big tyre wobble in the last section that was resolved by a quick clean but that put him out of contention and he ended 4th. **** Thompson had by now found a quick and consistent rythym and combined with a few deslots from Andy Dunmore earned **** 2nd place.

Next week classic GP

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Final of Classic GP with a turn out of 11

Bob and Andy M contended the D final, with Bob running his car for the first time since in a year or so. It was not as smooth as he would have liked and after Andy M settled in a rythym whihc took him till the end of the first section Andy romped away in to a commanding lead. However in the last section one of Andy's rear wheels overtook him on the straight but luckily he had a 3 lap advantage and he lost only 2 laps after quick pit crew intervention with the trusty superglue allowing him to limp home for the win.

He joined Ricky, David Twigg and Little Andy. Ricky was running his own car while the others ran either one of **** K's or mine. David T romped in to a good lead posting A final times along the way. The other 3 initially had an excellent scrap until Ricky, on the inside lane, came out on the sweeper, was hit by Andy M, the impact of whihc removed one of Ricky's rear wheels. It was not repairable and so he borrowed another **** K car but had lost 3 laps by then, whihc he was not able to claw back. Little Andy struggled with grip and in the third and forth section so did David T giving hope with Andy M and Little Andy. However David had enough time in hand to clean his tyres and keep the lead and win follwed by Little Andy and then Andy M.

David joined David F, **** T and Dick in the B final. Dick lost his front wheels and ended up drving without them which did not help handling loosing him at least 1/2 second per lap - he inevitably came fourth. **** T had a rubbish first section coming off numerous times and while his other three sections were good they were not enough. The David's had an excellent tussle with less than 3ft between them for the first 6 mins of the race. However Daivd Farrow's grip deserted him and in pushing to keep up with David Twigg he came off. He lost heart, cleaned his tyres and promptly came off a few more times allowing **** T to take 2nd place behind a charging David Twigg.

He joined lap record classic GP holder myself, reigning club champion Andy D and Classic GP title holder **** K. Andy D with his new found pace took an early lead as I came off twice in the first section. **** K could not keep pace on the inside lane and David could not quite keep up our frenetic pace. In the second section **** K could not take advantage of a middle lane but kept Andy D and myself honest. I pulled Andy D lead back to about 15 foot. In the thrid section when Andy D went on to an inside lane he had a complete nightmare, coming off on numerous occasions and giving me well over a laps lead by the end of the section. **** had taken second but David was in fourth. Andy decided to go for the lap record in the last section cleaing his tyres twice but both times coming off and loosing all performance benefits. His disaster was David's opportunity which he duly took giving him a 3rd overall whihc was a great result from him. I took it nice and easy in the last section and in the end took a comfortable win.

Next week Endurance LMP and then a mini series of GT cars

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Final of the GT and with two of the favourites for the B (Bob) and overall (Andy D) class win absent there was an opportunuty for others. So we had 10 racers with brothers Anthony and Simon racing with David Collins and Ricky in the C final. Simon, the younger, came out on top of the brothers and took the mini series C class win. Ricky with his Scaly Jagaur XKR had built a good 3/4 lap lead over David and his Ninco McLaren by the end of the third section, however Ricky started the last section with a couple of early offs, and David closed to sniffing distance and with the extra incentive he put in some of his fastest laps. With about 30 seconds to go David took the lead, and while Ricky pushed, another off lost him any chance much to his dissapointment.

David C (Ninco Mclaren) joined Andy Merry (Scaly Aston DBR9), Dick (Scaly DBR9) and David Twigg (Scaly Porsche GT1). David Collins and Andy fought it out for the mini series B class win with Andy building a lead but he struggled with going quick to stay ahead and braking for the hairpin on yellow lane resulting in a number of offs and allowing David C to take 3rd place and the mini series B class win. Out front antoehr good battle with David Twigg being quicker but coming out too often allowing Dick to either take the lead or close right up to David. This tooing and froing happened all through the race until Dick came out in the last section when he pushed it a bit too much, this allowed David to have enough of a lead which he did not forgo.

So David T joined **** Kerr (qualified with SCX Ferrari 550 but swapped to Proslot Porsche GT3 for final as Ferrair was running too low) , Mike Thompson (Fly F40) and myself (Fly F40). I took an early lead, with **** Thompson coming off a couple of times on the yellow lane hairpin. **** K was second and David not able to mathc our pace in 4th. I continued to build a lead with Mike and **** had a good battle until **** K had a couple of offs which dirtied his tyres and lost him all chance of a win. So Mike T set about trying to chase me down. I kept a steady pace and was never going to give up the win, and in the last section Mike came off once when really pushing and this lost him the last glimmer of hope. So I took the win, the 3rd mini sseires win of the year for me.

Next week F1 and then front engine GT class.

Matt

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
The final mini class final to ever be run at Wellingborough Scalextric Club, Front Engine GT.

10 racers took to the track, with some old friends joining us to pay their respect - was good to see Jeff Hall again, one of the founder members.

After the group photo we got down to the racing.

david Farrow took on John Roach, Kevin Coleman and David Collins. David Farrow quickly showed his class, taking an early need which he never relinquished. Kevin ran one of my cars until it stripped its gear and swapped it to another one of mine which allowed him to make up some laps and take 3rd. John had a good fight in the first section with Mr Collins but lost out as David put in some consistent times to take 2nd place.

David Farrow then joined Andy Merry, Ricky and John Underwood in the B final. david Farrow again took an early lead which he never looked like loosing and never did. Ricky came off a few times in the first few laps and could not make up the lost time and ended 4th. John and Andy had a good scrap but Andy pulled out a lead and kept on pulling away from John whom put in a good strong performance to take 3rd.

So for the final A final David Farrow joined David Twigg, **** Kerr and Matthew Tucker. It was a tale of two races with **** and I fought for the lead and the David's battled out for the minor placings. **** pulled out a good lead in the 2nd section and I had a number of offs which gave **** a comfortable win. I maged to hold on to 2nd and David Twigg third and David Farrow 4th.

So that is it, the final race at Wellingborough.

Signing off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts