Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first evening of 2017 saw 12 racers competing for honors in round 1 of our endurance championship. This year we are focusing on just Slot-It Group C cars in our endurance racing but alternating between light and night racing. The first one was a night race.

The pairings were:

1) **** Kerr & David Farrow
2) John Underwood & Gavin Wills
3) Matt Tucker & Nick Wade
4) Adam le Maistre & David Collins
5) Dick Gardner & Sean Illett
6) Mike Thomson & Shan Kerr

We ran 20mins sessions, with 123 being the most laps in a session but quite a number of racers doing over 120.

Adam was testing his propriety light system, and after bedazzling everyone with his Christmas tree display he had a number of orders from people. The lights were impressive but the cars performance was not, although they managed to take 5th place as Sean could not quite keep Adam close enough in the final stint resulting in Dick and Sean coming last by 2 laps after 80 mins racing.

Shan was going for the consistent laps but her pace was not quite on it and that left Mike too much to do to challenge for a top 3 place, so they ended 4th.

The top 3 were close, at the half way point **** and David led by 2 laps from Matt and Nick, followed 4 laps further back by John and Gavin. **** and David dropped out of contention when ****'s controller played up and he lost 10 laps trying to compensate for his erratic controller behavior. John was racing the final two stints in his team and put in two good runs that resulted in him over hauling Matt & Nick and taking the win by 5 laps.

So the final results were:

1st John Underwood & Gavin Wills
2nd Matt Tucker & Nick Wade
3rd **** Kerr & David Farrow
4th Mike Thomson & Shan Kerr
5th Adam le Maistre & David Collins
6th Dick Gardner & Sean Illett

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First mini series of the year saw 8 compete for the Trans-am title.

Adam and Sean competed in the C final with Adam coming out on top, he joined David Collins, Shan Kerr, David Farrow in the b final. David Collins and Shan fought for the win with Shan coming out on top.

Shan joined **** Kerr , myself and Mike Thomson. Mike drove off in to the distant and now one could catch him and he took the win. Mike and I had a battle royal, and I took second by 0.25 lap with Shan in 4th.

So Shan won the blue driver grade trophy and **** won the mini championship.

Next week F1, Classic and unlimited on the Friday.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
F1 round 1 saw 12 compete in two classes. We ran our 70's F1 for the first time using our usual format of qualifying and step up finals, and then followed by the unlimited F1 using a segmented race format with highest total from any heating winning.

Qualifying saw the Policar lotus 72 take the top 4 places with the pace being set by John Underwood, Nik Kerswill and Dick Gardner all putting in 9.3 second laps, although pole was taken myself with a 9.0. Adam and Mike Thomson were the top of the Scalextric cars with 9.5, with **** and Shan hitting high 9's.

The D final saw Sophie (first competitive evening) putting in consistent laps but was beaten by Sean and the final winner Bruce who then joined David C, **** Kerr and Shan in the C final. **** was too quick and consistent and took a comfortable win, with David in second, Bruce third and then Shan.

**** joined Nik, Mike and Adam. A good battle, Adam setting good times until he drove into another car and lost his left front wheel. He ended 4th. **** could not get the consistent grip and cleaned his tyres a number of times where ch put paid to any chance of the win. Mike was too consistent for Nik and took the win and a place in the A final

Mike joined the policars of myself, John and Dick. Mike leapt In to the lead with the three Loti in close pursuit. Dick and John fell away after a few offs while Mike and I had a close fought battle. In the second section Mike struggled in white lane and gave me a lead which I maintained and took the win. Mike ended second followed by John and Dick.

The final results set the positions for the unlimited race.

In the end **** Thomson and myself had a dead heat to take the win jointly. Dick was third, followed by Adam, John and ****.

Next week Super Saloons, again it's on the Friday.

Matt

·
David Farrow
1,225 Posts
Hi Guys sorry I could not be there. was Mike that came 2nd using a Scalex car

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final of the super saloons saw a mix of proslot Alfa, Ninco Audi A4, SCX Volvo, scalextric Renault Laguna, fly and Scalextirc BMW 320's.

11 turned up for the final night with Nick Wade taking on Sean Illet and David Collins with the top 2 moving up to the C final. Nick had early body trouble with his proslot Alfa that put him two laps behind within the first minute. He manage to haul Sean and his Laguna in, but david kept his cool to take the win with is proslot Alfa.

So both david and Nick joined Shan Kerr (Audi a4) and Nik Kerswill (slammed Audi A4). The slammed a4 showed proper 'tuner' handling, fine down the straight but rubbish in the corners. Both David and Nick could not match a consistent Shan who won and took a place in the B final.

Shan joined her Dad **** (Volvo), Mike Thomson (Laguna) and Dick Gardner (Alfa). **** Kerr established a first section lead of just under a lap as others encountered too many offs, but lap times when running were all very comparable. Mike started to find his pace as the grip levels for his car reduced a tad, and he started to reel **** in. Dick and Shan found the consistent pace too hot with Shan taking third. In the last section **** had 1/2 lap lead but in the end it was a win by 10 sections.

**** joined myself (Audi), John Underwood (Alfa ) and Adam Le Miastre (Alfa). A few offs from the other three gave me a laps lead by the second section, with Adam holding second and John and **** battling for third. I managed to extend the lead and take the win with Adam holding on to second and I think **** taking third.

So Nick Wade won the newcomers trophy, Shan Kerr Blue grade trophy and myself mini series winner.

Next week endurance slot it group c in the light.

Matt

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
forgot to write up about the last endurance race, hey ho.

Anyway last Friday saw 13 compete for honours of the Group 5 championship. We were missing a number of regulars but welcomed Sam, Dean, Stacey and Deanna.

The 4 newcomers used club cars and competed in the D final - all had raced slot stox previously and it was evident as they all managed to have a great race without coming off all the time. In the end Sam won from Dean then Stacey and Deanna.

Dean was then rather out gunned in the C final where he was up against David Farrow, Shan Kerr and Will Strachan. David and Shan led the way with Will comfortably in third. Shan and David were nip and tuck until Shan decided to go for a tyre clean in the third section and then set about trying to catch David's 3/4 lap lead. With 20 seconds to go she did catch him and got past, however David saw one opportunity and dived up the inside of a hairpin and not so gently nudged Shan out of the slot, allowing David to take the win - the ultimate gentleman!

David joined John Underwood, Simon Gathercole and Sean Ilett in the B final. John and David lept off in to the lead with John establishing about 1/2 lap at the end of the first section. Simon was third and Sean 4th which is where the minor places ended up. David set about catching John whose tyres had given up on good grip. However John managed to keep the lead albeit never more than 1/4 lap and take a place in the A final.

John joined myself, **** Kerr and Adam le Maistre. It was a hugely eventful race as Adam had dominated the series so far and continued to do so in the final, taking the win by over a lap. I held a comfortable second with **** in third and John forth.

So the winners:

Simon Gathercole black grade driver (best of the newcomers)

David Farrow blue grade drvier (best of the rest)

Adam le Maistre champion & red grade driver

Next week is round 2 of F1

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Round 2 of the F1 championship saw 10 competitors including now regular Will alongside Sam and Stacey who returned for their second week.

We allow newcomers to racer whatever cars they want in their first 6 months, which means they don't need to splurge on lots of new stuff and they can focus (with support) on getting the best out of whatever they have and get used to the track. Club or borrow cars is also an option.

So we qualified with the unlimited F1 and then raced them in a segmneted, win from any final, race. Will, Sam and Stacey all qualified with their own cars (NSR P68, Aston and Porsche) and ended in the first segmented final. John, Nik, Bruce (all running their 70's F1 cars (Poilcar)) and Sean (AllSlot F1) qualified for the second final and Dick, Adam and myself (AllSlot F1s) qualified significantyl ahead of everyone else for the last segmented final.

Adam completed the most laps, followed by Dick then myself (I lost the front axle a couple of times) with John ending up 4th.

The final results then set up the step-up finals for the 70's F1 class.

Bruce ran his Policar F1 against Will, Sam and Stacey whom ran their own cars. Will coming out as the winner, from Bruce, Sam then Stacey.

Will was outgunned in the B final not able to match the pace that John, Nik and Sean achieved. John in particular was knocking but not quite matching the lap record set by **** Thomson of 9.11. John was coming out a few times which gave Nik hope, but John got it together in the third and final segment to take a comfortable win and a place in the A final.

He joined Dick, Adam and myself. The first segment was very close although I established about 1/2 lap lead due to a couple of offs by everyone else. I managed to extend the lead and by the third section had over a lap. I went for a quick tyre clean and set about having a go at the lap record which I took down to 9.09. I then consolidated the win with Dick managing to take second after a ding dong battle with John who took third and Adam in fourth.

So the final top results from the 2 classes run where:

Matt 51 pts

Dick 50 pts

Adam 48 pts

John 39 pts

Next week unlimited Sports/GT cars - can anyone get near the lap record and break the 8 second barrier?

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unlimited GT/Sports saw a good turn out thoughout the series with a peak of 18. During the heats the lap record was broken by myself and now stands at 7.93 seconds.

The final took place last night and saw 14 compete for honours.

Sean Ilett celebrated his birthday far too well and was unable to keep up with young gun Simon and veteran David Collins whom both took a place in the D final where they were joined by Will Strachan and David Farrow. Will struggled on his first run and lost 2 laps to the others, whereas Simon established a laps lead from David F then David C. Will came to terms with the track and hauled in Daivd C to be neck and neck going in to the last section. David F had an eyelet come out and lost 4 laps fixing it which he was not to recover from and so came last. Simon kept on extending his lead and took the win, whereas David C manage to pull away from Will to take 2nd.

So Simon had another race in the C final against Bruce, Dick and Shan. The pace was a tad too hot for Simon who was running a NSR Corvette, and his excellent run was ended. Dick, Bruce and Shan were nip and tuck all the way with Shan being marginally quicker but coming out too much and after one excursion too many cleaned her tyres and never was able to make the time back, so ended 3rd. Dick and Bruce had a titanic battle with Dick taking 1/3 lap lead in to the last section. Laps were being traded, however Dick develop a bogey on this front tyres and that cost him two offs and the lead. In the last minute Bruce had 1/4 lap lead and Dick pushed all the way using the barriers to best effect and putting in his best lap times, however it was all too late and Bruce won and took a place in the B final.

Bruce took on Nik Kerswill, **** Thomson and Adan Le Maistre. Adam romped off and took the win, **** had a nightmare and had not only to endure the torture of trying to get his car round in some respectability (he failed and did the least laps of everyone) but also had to endure my ridicule and ribbing! I am sure his vengeance will be sweet! Nik, running a NSR corvette came a comfortable second getting his car round in mid 8's which was impressive.

Adam joined John, **** Kerr and myself. John was judged out by **** very early on and came out a couple of times and was a lap down after the first section - he never recovered from there. Adam, **** and myself were all circulating quickly and closely, but with Adam and **** struggling for grip in the second section I was able to take and build a lead which I extended to a lap on all by the third section. I held on to the lead with Adam in second and **** in third.

So Simon Gathercole took the newcomers trophy for his top performance
Nik Kerswill took blue grade driver trophy
I took the overall winners trophy.

Next week endurance with slot it group C. A great chance to join in as you will be paired with another racer who'll have a car to run and you get lots of track time

Matt

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
3rd round of our endurance series took place last Friday.

11 racers tuned up, and with only 8 points covering the top 7 then it was all to play for, except for Adam and Nick Wade whom were otherwise engaged (coincidental absence?!), which meant their chances of an overall championship win have been severely dented.

Top of the pile Shan Kerr was paired with endurance newcomer Will Strachan.

Overall second place John Underwood was paired with another endurance newcomer Simon Gathercole.

I was paired with Nik Kerswill, **** Kerr with David Collins, Mike Thomson with Sean Ilett and Dick Gardner racing on his lonesome.

We ran 20 min sections in daylight conditions with Slot It Group C's

Nik and I took a relatively comfortable win by 5 laps from **** Kerr and David. Behind us it was close with Dick Gardener beating John and Simon by 1 lap and a couple of laps back Shan and Will. **** and Sean ended last due to a combination of a dog slow car, and **** struggling with numb fingers after 10 mins racing - he'll need to find a cure for that if he want to have a chance at taking the championship.

All change at the top with myself in the lead followed by **** but John and Shan not far behind. Next round in a couple of months where we will racing in night conditions.

Next week we start our NSR GT3 mini series.
Matt

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
The NSR GT3 series was dominated in the qualifying rounds by Adam Le Maistre and the final continued to be although he had to fight for it.

11 competed for honours with Sean Illet finding his new found confidence not quite enough to beat Bruce and Shan.

Bruce and Shan then joined Mike Thompson and Simon Gathercole in the C final. Shan and Mike had a great battle until a few mistakes saw Shan drop off the pace while Mike continued to pound out the laps and take the win. Shan kept second followed by Bruce and then Simon whom took the top black grade driver (newcomers trophy).

Mike joined John Underwood, Dick Gardner and Nick Wade. Dick had a mare, grip proving very elusive fro him and he ended up with the least laps over the 12 mins across all finals. John was quick but his grip inconsistent and came out far too many times and ended second. Nick did not match the pace he has shown and came third, while Mike did exactly what he did in the previous final and pound out the laps and take the win - he did the same distance in both finals.

So Mike joined myself, **** Kerr and Adam in the A final. Adam took an early lead, I snuck in to second and the Mike and **** had a coming together that ruined ****'s grip and braids, and with a tyre clean and braid sort put him out of contention. Adam came out and I took the lead and by the end,of the second section had about 20 sections lead. I was unable to hold him off and Adam took the lead in the third section and extended it to just over a lap by the end. I took second and Mike Thompson third.

Simon Gathercole was black grade driver
Nick Wade blue grade driver
Adam Le Maistre mini championship win

Next week 70's and unltd F1 and then the Le Mans Classic mini series.

Matt

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
F1 with 8 racers.

We ran unlimited F1 cars first in a segmented win from any group with each lane ran one after the other with 3 min sections.

Qualifying determined which group you ran in with Adam taking top spot not quite breaking in to the 7's.

Adam and I took the top spots in the race, with Dick taking third all racing AllSlot F1 cars, and David Farrow fourth with a Mack chassis Scaly Brabham. John Underwood was 4th followed by Nik Kerswill, Sean Illet and then Simon Gathercole. Adam mangled to reduce the race lap record on his way to victory to 7.806.

The final positions established the step up finals positions for the second class of 70's F1 which was dominated by Policar along with a Scaly run by David Farrow.

Nik and Sean took first and second in the C final beating Simon. They took on John and David in the B final. David lacked top end and could not keep pace although he beat Sean. John was the quickest but kept on coming out and although he closed to within 1/3 lap on Nik in the final section he came off twice more as he closed in on the win which allowed Nik to take top spot and a place in the A final.

I took a comfortable win and as my tyres warmed up I reduced the lap record to 9.021 seconds. Adam and Dick had a ding dong battle with Adam having a 1/4 lap lead over dick in the last section, but he came off and let Dick ahead whom then proceeded to put in some very quick lap times and stayed in taking second.

So top three points of the evening
Matt 55
Adam 51
Dick 46

Next F1 we will run step up finals first and have a good time between the classes to ensure track is in a good state before the segmented race.

Next week, Le Mans Classics. Main rules: all podded cars, pods must be done up. 20k max motor (@12v). 19mm min diameter 10 mm max width rear tyres. 7mm max guide depth. Can us 3D printed chassis.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Next week, Le Mans Classics. Main rules: all podded cars, pods must be done up. 20k max motor (@12v). 19mm min diameter 10 mm max width rear tyres. 7mm max guide depth. Can us 3D printed chassis.
Just have to point out that most of the above is not correct.

Pods do not have to be done up.

Motor can be up to 21,500 rpm. ie you can use the standard Slot.It motor as supplied.

Tyres are not restricted to 10mm width.

Suggest everyone actually reads the rules on the website. Classic Slot.It & NSR.

Cheers.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Final of the Le Mans Classic series with the NSR Ford P68 locking out the top A final proving it to be the car to beat currently, although no-one tried to develop a Thunderslot Lola which looks to have the potential to be competitive.

13 turned up for the finals, with Simon Gathercole beating his forensic brother Anthony, along with Sean and Nik whose GT40 just did not show the promise it once did.

Simon joined Will, David C and Shan in the C final. Shan took the win and was the first to break in to the 8's, although David set the fastest time with a 8.7 but his tyres hit a cliff too quickly and required too many cleans to keep anywhere near a decent pace, this cost him a potential victory. Simon took second with a good consistent run from David then Will.

Adam, Dick and John were then joined by Shan. Shan put in a 8.6 lap time with the first section being incredibly close as Adam binned it in the second corner and spend the whole section getting back on terms with the others. However a series of offs by all of them bar Adam gave him a comfortable lead which he never gave up. Shan decided she wanted to perfect her tyre cleaning mid race technique and that lost her any hope of anything but last. John came second followed by Dick

Adam joined myself, **** K and David F. Adam and I shot off in to the lead with Adam having a lead at the half way point. **** held a comfortable third and David was not able to be consistently quick enough to compete for a podium. In the last two sections I drove more consistently and the cars pace allowed me to take the lead and extend it to just under a lap by the end.

Simon Gathercole - top newcomer

David Farrow - top blue grade driver

Matt Tucker - overall win

next week, Slot It Group C team endurance in dark conditions.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Forgot to write up the endurance race, I know I was paired with young Ben Underwood, and we were going pretty well until a rear tyre delaminated.

Anyway last Friday we held the finals of our rally class. 11 racers partook with Adam, David Collins and Nick Wade fighting it out in the D final with 2 to move up.

Adam slot box has vanished, and so with it his rally car, so he borrowed my spare, which was a tad twitchy but gave him a comfortable win. Nick had issues in his first run (Ninco Lancia 037) but got it together from then on and produced some quick lap times and reeled David in and took second and a place in the C final.

Ben Underwood and Sean Ilett awaited. Ben acquitted himself really well, putting in some good times but just having too many offs. Sean came a comfortable third, with Adam taking the win from Nick.

Adam then joined John Underwood, Dick Gardner and Shan Kerr in the B final. Dick had too much grip at the start and rolled over a few too many times and then too little grip but meant he was way off the pace and ended 4th. John scampered off in front with his Ninco Lancia 037 while Adam and Shan scrapped for 2nd place. Shan took it in the end and John his place in the A final.

He joined myself, **** Kerr and Mike Thomson. I managed to establish a lead after the first section with John not too far behind with both **** and Mike having a few offs. It continued this way, giving me a comfortable win, John in second and Mike beating ****.

So the trophies

Nick Wade - top newcomer

Shan Kerr - top blue grade driver

Matt Tucker - overall winner

Next week F1

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
4th round of our annual F1 championship that comprises of two classes: unlimited and 70's

We ran the 70's cars first, dominated by the Policars with one lonely Scalextric. The format comprised of qualifying (1 min on outer and middle lane, best lap time) which put you in a group for a 12 min (4 x 3mins) segmented race, furthest distance wins.

John top qualified with a 9.1, with me in second, Dick then Adam (using the Scaly car). Mike Thomson qualified 5th followed by Nick Wade, Sean and Simon Gathercole. Mike set the initial benchmarch but that was eclipsed in the second group by 3 of the racers. Initially John and Dick set the pace, but they could not keep in consistent and that allowed me to take enough of a lead to be able to clean my tyres on red lane and reduce the lap record to 9.01 seconds. So I took the win, followed by Dick, then Adam, Mike, John, Nick, Sean and Simon.

We then ran the unlimited class dominated by All Slot F1 cars. We undertook qualifying again and ran another segmented race. Adam took pole and reduced the qualifying lap record to 7.80 seconds, followed by Dick, myself, Mike, John, Nick, Sean and Simon. The first section saw John take a comfortable lead but not set an surmountable total, followed by Nick, Sean and Simon. In the final group Adam and Mike had the fastest cars, but Adam experienced pick up problems that gave Mike the early advantage. However Adam pulled it together, reeled Mike in and took the overall win. Mike ended second, then myself, Dick and then the first group.

In terms of points on the night:

Matt = 51

Adam = 51

Mike = 43

Dick = 43

John = 32

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Final of the Le Mans Group C series last night with 10 competing for honours. Some regulars were absent due to holiday commitments (poor planning!) and clutch failure.

Anyway the C final saw an out of position **** Thomson take on Simon Gathercole, Sean Illet and Will Strachan. ****'s car lacked grunt, top speed and handling so after seeing practice and young Simon hussle his borrowed car round in 9.2 seconds we thought an upset was on our hands.

However after a first stint where Will, Simon and **** exchanged the lead it settled in to pattern whereby consistent and slow won the day (reminds me of a fable!). Simon was not able to replicate his practice pace and came off too many times while Will challenged for second most of the way with a fast but slippy high tail Jag. Sean was last not able to match the pace and concentration of the others although he won for most giggling.

So **** join Rob Kerr, Nick Wade and Nik Kerswill in the B final. It was all close with everyone quite evenly matched. In the first section everyone had the lead at some point. By the end of the first section all where on the same lap with Nik K in the lead followed by Rob, **** and Nick. Nick was fast but not consistent and gave up his chance of any challenge to clean his tyres which gained him a couple of tenths for 3 laps till he dropped it in to the dirt. Going in to the last section Nik K led by 10 sections from Mock with Rob half a lap down. Some furious barrier banging laps from Rob gave hope as the other two were reeled in. However a couple of offs put pay to the charge and Rob ended third. **** and Nik were exchanging consistent lap times, with a mistake from either potentially being the decider. However an intervention from Nick Wade after a number of verbal 'blue flags' put paid to any hope for **** in the last 30 seconds, allowing Nik Kerswill to take a place in the A final.

Nik joined Adam, **** Kerr and myself. Adam had borrowed my car for the second time, and as he best me with it last week I shod it with some tyres I needed bedding in. The car was not quite so stable and about 3/10ths of a lap slower. He ended third. Nik found the pace too hot and ended 4th. **** and I had a battle royal for the first section and we were neck and neck. I managed to pull a lead in the second section as ****'s grip went away, and I continued to extend it and consolidated it when **** came in for a tyre clean.

So the prizes were:
Nick Wade - top newcomer
Nik Kerswill - top blue grade driver
Matt Tucker - overall winner

Next week last round of our endurance championship

1 - 20 of 25 Posts