SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
2,712 Posts
I have always been aware of the WRC but it has never gotten much TV coverage in Canada so difficult to really grasp. Then along comes Red Bull on my Apple TV. Whoa is that great racing! I just watched the Monte and Sweden rounds and really enjoyed them.

Now if SlotIt or NSR would just build me a Yaris or a Focus.....

Reactions: Hugh C Davies

· Premium Member
5,694 Posts
Welcome aboard! Rallying has given me the most fun in the last 20-odd years full-size and in slotting. Real camaraderie, some breathtaking drivers around at every level and what's not to love about squeezing 300 horses out of a shopping car and flinging it between the trees at full tilt? And what other reasons are there for going to the Azores? Or Strasbourg?

Next time you might like to try listening live to the online radio - here's the link - Becs and Colin take a bit of getting used to but it's well worth being able to hear what's going on as it happens wherever you happen to be.

As for slot versions, we'll wait and see what the new generation cars will do for the slot car manufacturers. At the moment I can only really see SCX producing them which is no bad thing in itself, but let's see. The good thing is that there's a cottage industry of resin whittlers based primarily in Spain but also our own JEXY1 who turn out cracking resin cars that you can spec to your heart's content.

Enjoy!

· Horlicks Hero
1,954 Posts
On the flip side, Motors TV in the UK have, in the last couple of years, finally started to broadcast the Canadian Rally Championship. I was very surprised to see Antoine Lestage jump ship from his Evo into a factory Subaru. And I love how they're pressing the XV into service as a rally car. It's just bonkers enough to work! Now, if we could just get Rally America, too, I'd be a happy bunny.

MSC/Scaleauto and Avant Slot also turn out pretty nice rally cars. I can't see it really being up NSR or Slot.it's alley. And there's a whole back catalogue of decent Nincos to track down.

· Registered
2,863 Posts
I get FreeSAT and Astra so luckily this time of year you get WRC and Formula E on Channel5HD.

The Astra has Eurosport in SD and that covers a lot as well!

I agree on WRC being a great series. In many ways some would argue it is the pinnacle of driving skill as it is done in the most "realistic" conditions.

· Premium Member
2,712 Posts
While I lamented that NSR and SlotIt don't build rally cars, I should have added that I bought a OSC 206 last year and it is a lot of run to drive and very fast.

And NSR do build a Fiat 2000. Does anyone have one of these? How does it run?

Regarding SCX, I had 124 that looked great but ran like a dog and swore I'd never buy another. Out of frustration and disappointment I chucked it but should have kept the body and built a better chassis.

To quote Marcus Aurelius, "The consequences of anger are so much more grievous than the causes. "

· *** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,804 Posts
Hello SoF,

I have an NSR Fiat Punto 2000 and its probably my quickest car. It is very low and wide so handles very well. The only other car that I have that is in the same league is an Avant Peugeot 207. I prefer the Peugeot though because the NSR car is overly wide and so seems like cheating...

Leo

· Premium Member
5,694 Posts
The Avant 208 is a great little car, but you need to fix the plastic hubs on properly or torque will prise them off and leave you stranded. Sort of looks authentically rally-isn when that happens, but just use the inserts on some alloys if you prefer. Looks like Avant will be producing the Peugeot 208 R5 as well this year. Which is nice.

NSR used the same chassis on the Abarth Punto, Renault Clio and Fiat 500. It's dynamite. I think most people find the Clio fastest for whatever reason. I'm planning to get one if and when there's another rally to attend, although my old Ninco Renault Clio still cuts it in 2WD rally classes. I have the Flyslot Punto which is a much better model and actually a very decent little rally car, but quite a way off the Ninco and the NSR for pace. I painted it up as one of the works cars from the 2009 Intercontinental Rally Challenge:

589aa628.jpg

· ParrotGod
12,581 Posts
I know for sure that the abarth 2000 and clio share the same chassis but I do not think that it is the same chassis as for the 500.

Which kind of pod/motor configuration you guys use on the punto/abarth 2000? AW?

· Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMHO the 2000 and Clio are, well, kind of boring to look at. The OSC 206 is much more exciting and the 2017 Toyota, Ford and Hyundai are a lot more exciting. I am going to give this one a pass although I am sure it is a great runner.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
I've been a big fan of rallying (and hillclimbing) since God was a lad. TBH, since Citroen/Loeb and VW/Ogier have been dominating WRC I have lost interest. My preference is for ERC (it has more tarmac events too, which is a plus).

My collection of slot WRC cars stops at 2010, partly because after then SCX only did the DS3 and Fiesta. The Mini and Polo offered by Scalextric don't suit my criteria, and none of the slot manufacturers (yet...?) offer either variant of the i20. Unless SCX or Ninco offer more 2011-spec World Rally cars, I won't be expanding my collection further.

The 2017-spec WRC cars are more like "Group B lite", and I'm not sure that it's necessarily a good thing for the championship. The FIA observers have already cancelled one stage this season, on safety grounds, because of what they deem "excessive speed". Massive aero just looks so out of place on a rally car. IMO the Yaris, in particular, is butt-ugly. That rear wing leaves me speechless - and not in a good way. R5 cars are much more aesthetically pleasing.

· Registered
293 Posts
IMO the Yaris, in particular, is butt-ugly.
Agreed, but it does have one redeeming feature, it's a winner.

Unlike the Citroen C3, which is ugly and by all accounts a death trap.

If you've got WRC+ and havn't watched the on board of Kris Meeke on the penultimate stage in Sweden. Watch it, but invest in a beep machine first, the Irish know how to swear.

· Registered
293 Posts
I have always been aware of the WRC but it has never gotten much TV coverage in Canada so difficult to really grasp. Then along comes Red Bull on my Apple TV. Whoa is that great racing! I just watched the Monte and Sweden rounds and really enjoyed them.

Now if SlotIt or NSR would just build me a Yaris or a Focus.....
Glad your joining the Bobble hat brigade. The Red Bull TV has been a great addition, and as suggested listen to WRC live (next event is Mexico, so your time zone).

If you really get into it I can recommend WRC+. Just make sure when you subscribe you use one of the 20% off promotions. That brings the price down to less than a good night out.

· Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got time to watch the Mexico WRC. Loved it, especially the ending.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.