Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First evening of 2018 saw 12 racers turn up for our Group C team endurance night race. Racers are paired based on current endurance championship standings top to bottom which saw the following combinations:

1) **** Kerr and Phil Giddins

2) Matt Tucker and Ben Underwood

3) John Underwood and Sean Illet

4) Dick Gardner & Nik 'no show' Kerswill

5) Adam le Maistre and Nick Wade

6) **** Thomson and Simon Gathercole

7) Rob Kerr

Adam and Nick borrowed one of my cars as the lights conveniently failed on their cars. My low downforce mazda is extremely stable and unfortunately I had shod it with good consistently grippy and long lasting tyres - they took the win by 5 laps. Rob came second ahead of Dick whom had a number of excursions of the track - he claimed miss marshalling rather than his own driving.

**** Kerr managed the most laps in any one 15 min section at 94, and Phil drove extremely well in his first outing, especially as it was in the dark, resulting in a 4th place. John and Sean managed 5th, a couple of laps ahead of Ben and myself. Ben drove really well, managing 5 laps more in his second 15 min stint than he did in his first. **** and Simon came last after tyre delamination issues robbed their car of any performance characteristics quite early on.

Next week NASCAR mini series begins

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Final of the first mini series championship of 2018 - NASCAR

11 entrants for the mini championship final with newcomer Graham competing against Phil Giddings and Adam le Maistre. Adam took the win, but Phil put in more consistent runs than he has been and is picking up his pace. Graham's first ever race meeting showed good promise, he was consistently completing the laps as he remembered his youthful days of slot racing in the 60's.

So Adam joined Simon Gathercole, John Underwood and Sean Ilett. Adam made some swiftish repairs to his cars as his interior somehow dislodged itself, but it was never subsequently a happy car and he could not mount a challenge to John who ran away with the victory. Sean came third and Simon's car was not as happy as usual and he ended 4th.

In the B final John Underwood joined myself, Will Strachan and Nick Wade. John and Nick had a good initial battle, although John managed to take a lead in the second section and continued to pull away to take the win and leave Nick in second. My car and driving were not great, and after the first section I was a lap down and continued to tumble away ending 4th. Will managed fastest laps on all lanes, but was not quite consistent enough to mount a challenge and ended third

The A final was a romping victory for **** Kerr whom had dominated the series with a complete clean sweep of every race - maximum points for the series. In second was Dick Gardner whom just pipped John Underwood by 20 sections after a great titanic battle. Mike Thomson limped home in 4th.

So the trophy winners were:

Phil Giddings - Black Grade Champion (newcomers)

Nick Wade - Blue Grade Champion (drivers outside of top 6 of prev yrs standings)

**** Kerr - Mini Class Champion

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Final of the 90's GT BPR class saw 12 compete with a good mixture of Policar F40, Fly Marcos, Scaleauto de Tomaso, Fly Lister Storm and a Proslot Porsche GT2.

Phil Giddings, Graeme Stephenson and Sean Illet competed in the D final. Sean took the early advantage from Phil and then Graeme however a lead wire issue for Sean lost him 6 laps in the second section and he was never able to recover, although with a sub 10 second last lap it was a tale of what ifs for him. So Phil took the win, from Sean and then Graeme.

Phil joined Adam, Nik Kerswill and Nick Wade in the C final. Adam romped to victory, Nick Wade just about keeping him honest and coming second followed by a struggling Nik Kerswill and then Phil.

Adam then took on John Underwood, Mike Thomson and Rob Kerr in the B final. Adam took an early lead but a few offs gave Rob a small advantage after the first section. Mike was third not too far behind and John struggled with grip and was 4th. Adam regained the lead in the second section and built a healthy advantage but never more than a lap on Rob. In the third section Adam swapped lanes (into Rob's) mid section and had a big crash - his car was never the same. From showing race winning performance back to mid pack lap times. Rob reeled him in, although Adam did not give up the lead and going in to the last section he still had 1/4 lap lead. He held on till the last minute but an off gave Rob the lead and the win.

Rob joined myself, **** Kerr and Dick in the A final. In the minute warm up **** fell in to Rob's lane and again another big crash, but all seemed well other than a dislodged mirror. In the first section I took an early lead, and build 1/2 lap on everyone. **** was uncharacteristically coming off and it turned out the crash had dislodged something more important - **** in the end retired before permanent damage was caused. Dick and I had too much pace for Rob and going in to the last section I had about 1/2 lap lead on Dick. He was slightly faster and was reeling me in, maybe not quite quick enough, however with a minute to go he pushed too much and came out giving me a more relaxed finish to take the win.

Black Grade winner - Phil Giddings

Blue Grade winner - Rob 'Terminator' Kerr

Mini Series winner - Matt Tucker

Next week Slot It Group C endurance

Rob the terminator was born

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Final of Group 5 saw 14 compete for the awards.

Adam le Maistre had not done any qualification weeks and so started in the e final along with David Farrow and Will Strachan, with two moving up . Adam dominated the race with david in second, will retiring after half-way. Adam and David joined Sean and Graham. Adam dominated again, with David second after his setup changes did not deliver what he hoped for. Sean third and Graham fourth.

So Adam continued to the C final where his victims were Phil Giddings, Nick Wade and Dick Gardner. Adam crushed their hopes within 1 min as they all struggled. Dick was second, Nick third and Phil fourth.

Adam then join Nik Kerswill, Rob Kerr and John Underwood. Nik retired after 4 laps, Rob could not stand the furious pace being set by John and Adam whom fought a great battle. John's penultimate run had too many offs and left him 3/4 lap behind Adam, John closed in on the last section, but left himself too much to do and ended second.

So Adam had beaten all before him to take a place against myself, **** Kerr and Mike Thomson . Mike had the edge after the first section but less than 1/5th lap covered all of us. Adam and I pulled an advantage in the second section, with an off for Adam giving me 1/2 lap lead. Mike ended up in the wrong lane and had a big crash that put paid to the excellent battle he was having with ****. They ended 4th and 3rd respectively. I was able to maintain my advantage over the rest of the race and took the win.

Black grade winner - Phil Giddings
Blue grade winner - Rob Kerr
Overall winner - Matt Tucker

Next week F1, then the anything goes class of Unlimited GTs.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unlimited GT final

Over the qualifying weeks the class and club's outright lap record for lap time and distance was broken with the lap-time now standing at 7.763 seconds and distance (over 12 mins) of 87.26 laps.

14 competed in the finals with the E final consisting of those whom had missed most if not all qualifying rounds and so were a bit out of position. Nik Kerswill took on and beat David Farrow and Martin Thorpe, all running NSR GT3 cars. Initially it was a close race, but Nik was able to lap a few tenths quicker than the other two although all lapped in under 9 seconds.

So Nik took on Phil Giddings, Graham Edwards and Sean Illet. Phil has driving a garish pink Slot It Nissan GT1 that thankfully for our eyes was not competitive enough and cam third. Graham with a Slot It Audi came forth with Sean, using his new controller and a NSR Mosler, did the best he has done in a long time, came second but pushed Nik all the way.

Nik took his place in the C final alongside Nick Wade, Mike Thomson and Simon Gathercole. Mike won the race, not being the quickest, but being the most consistent and not losing any time to tyre cleaning. Nick Wade was quickest but came off too many times and cleaned his tyres too many times. Nik Kerswill found the pace a tad too hot and Simon showed great pace but not quite consistently enough.

In the B final Mike Thomson (NSR Moslet) joined Rob Kerr (SCX Done Judd), John Underwood (Slot It Porsche GT1) and Dick Gardner (Spirit Dallara). John and Rob were the quickest but Rob dropped it too many times whereas John was consistent and built an unassailable lead by the half-way point. Mike's consistency brought him home in second just in front of Rob and then Dick who showed the pace required but could not make his tyres last.

John (Slot It Porsche GT1) then faced myself (Slot It Lola), Adam le Maistre (Slot It Lola) and **** Kerr (Sloter Zytek) in the overall final. Adam took an early lead as I came out early on and took **** with me. **** and I then spent the first section catching up to John in second, and at the end of it there was less than 1/3 lap between us all. In the second section **** had two quick in succession offs that let me past him and I quickly got past John to take second. I was closing in on Adam whom then had an off and I was in the lead. I held on to that lead to win by a lap in the end. **** managed to take second, Adam third and John fourth.

Black Grade Winner - Phil Giddings

Blue Grade Winner - Rob Kerr

Overall Winner - Matt Tucker

Next week Slot It Group C Endurance in daylight and then NSR GT3

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Round 3 of the endurance championship had 10 racers. 5 teams with 20 min stints per lane.

The pairings were:

**** Kerr (series leader) and Nik Kerswill
Rob Kerr and David Farrow
Dick Gardner and Sean Ilett
John Underwood and Phil Giddings
Matt Tucker and Simon Gathercole

John and Phil were not quite on the pace and came a comfortable 5th. Dick and Sean in 4th. At the half way point **** and Nik led with 248 laps just ahead of Rob and David on 248 and Matt and Simon on 247. After the third section Matt and Simon had the lead by 3 laps, but in the final stint **** Kerr had a clean quick run to do enough to take the win, with David just doing enough to take second ahead of Simon.

**** retains the series lead, can anyone catch him?

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
We had 15 turn up for the final of the NSR GT3 series with David Farrow making the A final and full of hope in taking his first ever mini series win.

The E final consisted of Graham Edwards, Nik Kerswill and Phil Giddings. Nik having missed 2 qualifying rounds was out of place in the step up finals, and ran out a comfortable winner with Phil coming second and Graham third

Nik then joined Sean Illet, Dick Gardner and Mike Thomson. **** and Dick had tyre issues, while Nik kept on pounding out the laps to take another comfortable win. Nik then stepped up to the C final and joined Nick Wade, Simon Gathercole and John Underwood and exactly the same happened. John had the initial pace to lead but his grip went and Nik reeled him in a took the lead and the win.

B final consisted of Nik Kerswill, **** Kerr, Will Strachan and Rob Kerr. **** set about demolishing the opposition. Rob showed glimpses of performance but not consistently enough to make a challenge of it. Nik had found his limit, he needed to up his pace but the car could not take it which led to numerous offs. Rob took second and Will third.

**** then joined the A finalist of myself, Adam le Maistre and David Farrow. Adam took an early lead and David dropped to 4th with a couple of early offs. I had too much grip and the car was proving a handle to drive consistently. At the end of the first section Adam led, from ****, myself and then David all on the same lap. In the second section the order was maintained although a couple of offs from Adam closed up the field. In the third section Adam's tyres went off the cliff face and one off caused a road block that second place **** hit hard. I got through it and took the lead and David closed in on second. Adam's tyres were shot and he plummeted to the back, while I developed and then maintain 2/3 laps lead while **** and David battled it out for second. In then end **** prevailed by 1 section from a closing David.

Black Grade Winner - Phil Giddings

Blue Grade Winner - David Farrow

Overall Winner - Matt Tucker

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have not written up our race reports for a while and can't remember details so happy for any interjections.

We ran the 50's GP class, dominated by Catrix cars and in particular the Merc. The rules had changed and now the min wheel diameter was 21.5mm and a max width of 7.5mm, so taller and narrower than before. The aim was to slow them down, as they were going too fast for some! The previous lap record was 8.8 secs and in the end the new lap record was 8.9 seconds, so objective achieved but not quite as was expected.

**** and Rob dominated early rounds but by week 2 Mike Thomson and myself were on the pace. For final nights I remember I won, by half a lap from **** Kerr, with John Underwood making the A final after borrowing a Kerr car as his cars was just poor.

We also ran a F1 night, with **** Kerr winning both unlimited and 70's class. The 70's class was close with less than 1 lap separating ****, myself, David Farrow and Rob after 12 mins of racing.

We are currently racing Trans-Am RTR, my bag of nails seems to be performing up to my requirements as its constant grind puts others off their stride.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Final of the Trans-Am RTR saw only 8 members take part although we did welcome the whole le Maistre family and introduced our youngest ever visitor to the wonders of slot racing.

John Underwood, Dick Gardner and Sean Illet competed in the C final with two to move up. Dick showed he was very adept at ice driving on slick tyres, spectacular but slow. He could get no grip at all from his tyres. John running a borrowed Pioneer car ran out a comfortable winner from Sean who both moved up to take on Rob Kerr and Nick Wade.

Rob and Sean battled it out for the minor places with Rob requiring frequent put stops to clean tyres in order to maintain some semblance of competive pace. Sean was just in 3rd with 30 seconds of the race remaining but came out and let Rob take 3rd. Nick, running a Farrow team car drove flawlessly and took a comfortable win.

Nick joined David Farrow, myself and **** Kerr. **** could not quite keep the pace required consistently and needed to clean his tyres which put him out of contention. Nick, David and I were neck and neck all the way to the last run. My grip was not enough to maintain the pace and I dropped away. So david and nick were racing for the win, neither had ever achieved the honour. It was getting tense, David never pulled team orders and did his best to pressure and chase Nick down but could not quite do it, resulting in Nick taking his innaugral win by 5 sections.

Well done Nick, and commiserations David, although maybe that is the first time a Farrow car has won a series!?

Black Grade winner - no entrants
Blue grade winner - Nick Wade
Overall Mini Series winner - Nick Wade

Next week endurance Group C. You will be paired with an experienced racer with a well set up car if you want to join in, a great way to introduce yourself to club racing at Rockinham

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last F1 round of the year saw a busy night of 12 racing 70's F1 and unlimited F1 classes.

Adam reappeared as he had the chance to take the unlimited and potentially the overall F1 crown if he got top results in both classes.

Unlimited first up, qualifying saw everyone getting under 10 seconds, with Adam and **** Kerr both getting under 8 seconds and Nick Wade and I achieving 8.0 laps. Top spot to Adam, then **** and Nick.

Step up finals eventually saw the final being competed by the top 3 qualifiers and myself. Adam and **** set off at th front, Nick came off a few times and I set about trying to minimise the distance between **** in second. **** came off which kept me in touch while Adam scampered off to take the win. Going in to the last section **** and I were close, but a scrappy last section saw **** take a comfortable second in the end.

That meant for the season Adam took the top spot for the unlimited F1 class.

70's F1 saw Adam, myself, **** Kerr and Dick take qualifying top honours. We ran segmented finals, 3 mins on each lane total distance with win from any group. All the top group took the top four distances, helped by track evolution no doubt. I lead the first section but a few silly offs,saw Adam take the lead with **** not far behind. Dick was on the same lap but in 4th in a position that never changed. I closed up on Adam but trying to get passed came out again. In the last section Adam was struggling, I was closing in, and **** was closing us both up quickly. However I came out in an awkward spot, the marshals, because it was late and they find it difficult standing when it gets past 23.00, take a while to see it by which time **** had caught up but hit my car and came out. Nick Wade marshalled us, putting me in first, much to the annoyance of **** (with a resultant little temper tantrum), and the marshalling low bridge create by Nick took Adam off. So in the last minute I caught up an ailing Adam to take the win, Adam second and **** third.

Overall that meant I won the 70's F1 series by 1 point from **** Kerr.

In the overall F1 championship **** Kerr and Adam took a joint championship win with 132 points, followed by myself with 118 points.

First championship win for Adam.

Next week Ninco classics, where the battle for the overall championship win continues between **** Kerr and myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts