SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
WRP%20Logo%20Round_zpsq3pxs4by.jpg

Expression of Interest to enter

We are looking for those interested in entering a car in this years Proxy.​
There have been discussions with most of the regular track hosts re rules etc.Most have agreed that the
rules need to be adjusted and/or sharpened to make the series as even as possible, which we will do.
There is also an option of two or three classes​
The Scalextric model cars will remain the same as the last two years.​

There will be an overall limit of 24 entries with preference to 2018 entries and regular Auslot members.​
All we want to know at this stage how many entries are there likely to be.​
The regular track hosts have all stated that they are interested and will be entering a car.​
The proposed rules will be posted over the next two weeks​
Replies here are only an expression of interest at this stage​
Confirmation of entry will commence early February​
WRP%20Logo%20long_zps7bdv8hul.jpg

·
Registered
326 Posts
Cheers Mel,

Good to see that we are not all jumping into Fords...

Leo
That has always been a worry that we wouldn't end up with an RS200 series. It is the easiest car to tune as it has the lowest center of gravity.

We plan to sharpen up the rules a little with the RS 200 but that would only effect those that try and bend the rules a bit
tongue.png

The original WRP rules were set to try and keep cars as even as possible and one reason why we had the MJK control tyre.

Phil (Kalbfellp) is currently working on some allowable modifications to the Lancia's and Metro's to help even out the field
banana.gif

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,775 Posts
Hello Nick,

The absolute rules for 2019 are not finalised, but the link below shows the 2018 rules/regs. The car list is quite limited.

RS200s tended to dominate so the current thinking is to keep those standard but allow some mods to the others (eg lightweight interior), so that it doesn't end up as an all Ford event.

Most entrants don't take it too seriously and enter the car they fancy rather than based on performance, but there is an element of competitiveness rising.

The general ethos is to keep costs down and avoid cheque-book tuning.

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20371-2018-wrp-rules/

Leo

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
My kind of rules, Leo!

When we ran the Scalextric class on SRGB a few years back box stock with free tyre choice I used the Quattro S1 (without the wings on it) from the Blomqvist triple pack. Worked pretty well using, I think, Ninco tyres on the back from an NC-1 Megane - it was as quick as a Modern 2WD on some stages. We ran them as a club class for a year or two and the 6R4s and my Quattro were usually up front. Nobody managed to make the Fords work... ah the endless permutations!

My Peugeot hasn't impressed as yet but there aren't any aftermarket tyres readily available in that size and the originals are like zero grips.

Will be interested to see what form the regs take, I quote fancy building a 'wingless' Audi or the Pug.

Attachments

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,775 Posts
Body mods are not generally allowed other than light triminhg of the chassis to permit body-rock. However, I think one year "Snurfy" (as Martyn_ is known down under) lost the rear wing off his Peugeot 307 and was allowed to compete. I added a lamp-pod to my 307 after asking if that was ok (#bling).

I'll mention the wing removal as a possible bit of allowed assistance for the Audis.

In previous years, there has been a control tyre provided by MJK Engineering but nothing firmed up yet - Ian of MJK has been poorly.

Essentially its a "blue-printing" type series.

Leo

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
No it's a standard car, Leo. The S1 is the short wheelbase without wings, the E2 is the short wheelbase with wings. Scalextric made both!

The S1 was only available in the Blomqvist triple pack and as the Scalextric club car C3500. It's mechanically identical to the winged one, just with less plastic hanging off it!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Don't think you can penalise one type of car Leo, with things like lightweight interiors e.t.c not being allowed in the Ford , personally think the status quo should remain such as the standard interior for 2019 , since i,ve been doing this it,s always been a level playing field and basically comes down to preperation of cars , if you remember rightly the first year of this current formula the Lancia started of as being the car to have.

Have already prepped a car to the current rules, if you are bringing out new rules might have been an idea before opening up the entry list so we all knew before we entered a car , of course if you want to change things perhaps let the SCX cars back in chuckle
biggrin.png

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
Hi Phil,

The S1 is a sidewinder - same chassis and running gear as the E2. I did a little comparative test tonight between four cars: the inline Peugeot 205, the twin Quattros and the club's own RS200. All on stock tyres, although the Ford's have been oiled and trued recently. The Ford has a ton of weight in it, the S1 Quattro has some lead in the magnet pocket in front of the motor and a dab behind the guide, both the E2 and the Peugeot were no mag no weight fresh from the box.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

On our Ninco track the Peugeot took most getting used to - no brakes and very skittish on its narrow track. The E2 certainly felt top heavy with nothing in the chassis and was most prone to de-slotting until you adapted to it. Put one wheel on the track border and the back would drag the guide out of the slot. Compared to my own cars the club's Ford felt unbelievably slow because the weight has killed the acceleration. I like my little S1 and was comfortable with it straight away, even on the shabby standard rubber. Lap times were:

Ford RS200: 15.04s

Quattro S1: 15.38s

Peugeot 205: 15.87s

Quattro E2: 15.89s

I then tried them all on The Mountain. Because it was fettled for Slot Rally GB on that stage the Ford had relatively few problems negotiating it. If a car can handle The Moutain it will be right for most things that a slot rally can throw at it. When you get a troublesome corner weight and momentum will see you through. The S1 Quattro was the same. Both the E2 Quattro and the Peugeot struggled with bumps, changes in elevation and with any spots on the track where there was a slight pinch - both had thicker guides, the Peugeot particularly got wedged in several spots per lap and bottomed out more often.

Pug stuck on a hump

Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle

R1 downhill is a test for anything without a sprung guide or a drop arm. Unless it's full of lead, of course.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Wheel

This is why the pace notes say "don't cut"!

Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Window

All in all it rather whetted my appetite. I'd like to try whatever the recommended guide is and some good tyres. They're all good little cars, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
There is no thought of penalising any group of cars PG. There were three RS200's last year that were pushing the boundaries to try and lower the good centre of gravity even further and one should have been disqualified but not really noticed until the last round. So we will take a closer look at all cars this year. (no rule changes for 2019) The only rule change for the RS200 (and all cars at this stage) is the front tyres cannot be anymore than 1mm smaller than the rears.

Phil K hasn't let me know about possible modifications to the Lancia's and the Metro's.

Mods to the Lancia's may not be necessary as they were well and truly amongst the RS200's.

Most Track hosts will say the Metros were the hardest to get good times and no offs so I am keen to allow some options with them.

How the makes finished in 2018. The bottom two Audi's didn't run the whole series

2018%20car%20make%20results_zpsxhgmcr5u.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could you put me down for an entry please with an Audi. If I can run an S1 then that would be great, otherwise I'll try and get an E2 to behave itself!
Thank you - Added. will appear on next list update

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
Thank you!

If there could be a clarification on the eligibility of the S1 please I'd be very grateful. Here are the two types of sidewinder Quattro that have been released undressed for comparison. The weight of the bodies on my scales was 43g for the E2 with the interior and 28g without. The S1 was 37g with the interior and 22g without.

Circuit component Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Audio equipment

Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Gadget Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera

I've been searching for MJK tyres without success. Any guidance on tyre choice would be great for the build please, particularly the size of the chosen rears so I can keep the fronts within 1mm. Same for permitted guide replacement and their sourcing and fitting.

Paintwork I can do, anything else is a dark art!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.