SlotForum banner
261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bought a rundown Revell Corvette in dire need of tlc. It's had a respray and decals then a PCS32 chassis with some smart wheels. With a decent motor, new guide and a little weight added it's pretty quick on a home circuit, although it can't quite compete with enhanced Fly 911s and 934s.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
287 Posts
A Good Vintage Day at Sandown last Saturday

1 ; A selection of Precision bits including a driver figure which is a new one to me

Product Font Material property Rectangle Office equipment

2 : A bag of SMEC trim parts

Body jewelry Motor vehicle Font Jewellery Art

3 : Early Rail / Slot MRRC bodies etc plus a Romford Terrier

Product Red Font Fashion accessory Metal

Red Font Revolver Toy Art

4 : Another new one for me an early MRRC Twin Pin slot car guide also included is the blade guide option ( just cut the rear pin off )

Wood Machine Auto part Nickel Fashion accessory

Toy Lego Machine Creative arts Art

Wood Auto part Machine Metal Font

All from the same Gentleman except for the MRRC chassis with the disc wheels which came from our good friend Phil Smith, I was happy with my mornings hunt it is not usually that good
john

·
Registered
287 Posts
HI Don
You are absolutely correct they are early bodies vac-formed in coloured plastic they are all 3 in the smaller 1/32 scale and I would have preferred it if a couple of them had been in the larger scale but they are still nice pieces, It was interesting to see the twin pin guide as I did not know of any serious slot cars that had twin pin guides another gap in my education ( unless MRRC were just trying out the market )
john

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry Don
I did not explain myself very well, I know SRM - Airfix etc did use the twin pin guide I was thinking more of Race tracks and Clubs that tended to be the MRRC's end of the market

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep, nice haul!

What's that purple body - a Palmer Lola-Ford GT?

Don
It's a Monogram test shot that they did when deciding which cars would be in the lineup a few years back. Unfortunately the 'glass' mold had damage and was deemed too expensive to repair. Too bad. I had wondered why that they didn't do the Lola. Now we all know. The silver McLaren came from the same seller. It looks like a presentation sample with no printing on the car or the base. I wish I had more of the story, but that's all I could get.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Some items that arrived in the last few days...

A quite nice VIP MGA which only appears to missing the windscreen

Vehicle Car Toy Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel Toy

With can a very tatty and banana shaped VIP Ferrari 156

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

It's worse than it looks because the rear of the body won't stay on the chassis so makes the nose look lower than it is.

I've now entered the world of vintage 1/24th scale with this Revell Lotus 23

Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Car

Not a subject I know anything about but it appears to have a standard 1/32nd scale ladder chassis and motor, maybe due to the shallow body.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gadget Automotive design Automotive exterior

I've changed the rear tyre and those fitted now are a slightly under size.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
wow, ajd, looks like you bought the whole table! Or perhaps your total score from various. Nice. And John, that's a real scratchbuilder's delight. I particularly like the SMEC bits.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
after a long draught from ebay purchasing, this arrived today. A nice price for this one, a Lindberg, one of the rarest from four F1 offerings they had as this one only came as a kit, I believe. And the subject was kind of rare back then as well, at least for 1/32. VIP did Beardy's Sharknose Ferrari, and Airfix had one in their early offerings. It's interesting that Monogram or some American manufacturer did not do this, Phil Hill taking the car to one of only two American championships. I think Russkit did one in the larger scale, and I built up the 1/32 Dubro vac many years ago so as to have one. This Lindberg will need some refurbishing, most notably those giant Cox steamrollers will have to go!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
After each show I lay the booty out at home
and take a picture of what I bought. Then I can go back in the archives for reference.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Nice car Steve, and not easy to find. Mine came from Australia some time ago and was far more expensive than yours, and not only due to the shipping. Congratulations,
Eduardo

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
oops, I forgot: Supershells also did a 1/32 "kit", and Scalextric had an off-scale offering. So all the other four Sharknose 1/32 Ferraris were from England, which I find interesting and odd.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
I think it's down to the racing that was popular at the time. By the early 60's F1 grids had just started to be filled with British cars and the drivers where becoming household name here. Most of the British manufactures started with F1 cars, the first four Airfix cars were Lotus, Cooper, Ferrari and Porsche, as they were the popular thing then. F1 never really caught on in the US even thought the F1 calendar included the Indy 500 for a long time as most of the F1 teams ignored it so why would a US manufacture look to produce a F1 car.
If you look at the catalogues for most British and European manufactures they are full of cars you would be able to see at any large event at your nearest track and read about in the local motoring press. I would assume it was the same in the US with stock cars and oval racing and Indy. Any manufacturer looking to have good sales would surely be making cars that the target market could see, read about and know about.
By the mid sixties things had changed, this side of the pond know about the Indy 500 and F1 was in the US and the slot car business had become world wide for a lot of manufactures which in turn would lead to a must wider and diverse range of models for all manufactures.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think you are right, Keith. It wasn't til the mid-60's that Monogram released their two beautiful 1/32 F1 slots. But speaking of American manufacturers, even Indy/oval/dirt cars were not prolific early on. Strombecker comes to mind with their Indy Watson and cute little midget; a bit later Monogram did a 1/24 Midget on the heels of their static kit. A number of my vintage collector friends draw a blank when I ask them about representatives of Indy in their collections! I've gone the extra mile in assembling a small fleet, but I had to build most all of them from scratch; the AMT Parnelli Jones Watson static comes to mind. Oh, just a historical note: the US held it's first F1 races in the early days: 1959 at Riverside, and 1960 at Sebring (in conjunction with their sports car race). A lot of the boys from Europe did come over, but I wonder what American's view of this strange sport was. Better stop here as I'm getting non-topical!

·
Administrator
10,017 Posts
The US pioneers in rail and slot racing were all big auto racing fans, so there was lots of interest in F1 cars right from the beginning - and even in commercial racing they were really the most popular category until 66-67, when the heavier chassis for CanAm cars began taking over - by the time of the anglewinder, most open wheel racing in the States had all but disappeared.

In other words, while F1 never caught on in the USA, racing fans were still pretty frustrated by that, and followed European racing pretty closely.

There was a fair number of F1 cars produced by US manufacturers, but a lot of duplication as well: Ferrari 158, Cooper, etc. Not to mention the classic GP cars in 1/24 kits & RTR: Lancia-Ferrari, Mercedes, Bugatti...

Turns out the Sharknose was made by a number of companies in 1/32ish scale, including in France, Germany and Hong Kong! Miniamil, Joma, Carrera, Lincoln... In 1/24 there was the Russkit and a Nichimo from Japan.

I was a little surprised about the Sharknose: when I was compiling my list on the most produced models, I thought the Sharknose would be up there, but it was still well behind cars like the GT40.

PS: I actually wrote this a couple hours ago, but never posted, so it was before Steve's response above. Very true, but there were 1/32 Indy cars made by the more toylike manufacturers, especially Marx and Gilbert, along with Strombecker. In 1/24 there were a fair number of GP and Indy cars, but not too many hard bodies!

261 - 280 of 302 Posts