SlotForum banner
281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,266 Posts
"Turns out the Sharknose was made by a number of companies in 1/32ish scale, including in France, Germany and Hong Kong! Miniamil, Joma, Carrera, Lincoln... In 1/24 there was the Russkit and a Nichimo from Japan."

Don, beside Nichimo, more Japanese "156s" in the 1/24 scale from Marusan, Imai and Nakamura,
I think that the reason why so few of the 1961 Ferrari F1 were produced in the USA is because it was a very obsolete car when commercial slot car racing was exploding in the USA. Why did Russkit make one? Because Russell was a personal friend of Phil Hill, possibly the most underrated F1 champion ever (at last he was given a proper assessment in a recent issue of Motorsport in the UK). Even the Russkit is a 1962 model, when Ferrari got creamed by the British, Coventry-Climax and BRM V8 engines and better tuned chassis...

·
Administrator
10,000 Posts
Thanks Philippe, the others ring a bell, but not Marusan...

True about it predating the slot car boom, but that didn't prevent other manufacturers from issuing earlier cars, like the Lancia-Ferrari and the Mercedes 154; I think some 62 Coopers too, but you probably know more about that! Of course, the Lancia was also popular in 1/32 because of its dimensions, like the Harvey Aluminum.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Body size may have had lot to do with the choice of cars, if you are producing cars to run on a standard chassis, as the early 60's F1 cars are small. They enforce a limit on motors, the small Airfix cub motor or slimline open frame motors if you want to do a 1/32nd scale car. Scalextric started with 1/28th / 1/30th scale cars so easier to fit a motor in.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I put in a few bids on this , didn't expect to see it in my Brought folder the next day! Tyres were not very hard but cracked, I glued and give them a sand and it gripped up good enough for some reasonable laps ,runs well!
Cheers,
John.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Rolling stock Locomotive

·
Registered
801 Posts
Some items that arrived in the last few days...

A quite nice VIP MGA which only appears to missing the windscreen

View attachment 287320

View attachment 287321

With can a very tatty and banana shaped VIP Ferrari 156

View attachment 287322

It's worse than it looks because the rear of the body won't stay on the chassis so makes the nose look lower than it is.

I've now entered the world of vintage 1/24th scale with this Revell Lotus 23

View attachment 287323

Not a subject I know anything about but it appears to have a standard 1/32nd scale ladder chassis and motor, maybe due to the shallow body.

View attachment 287325

I've changed the rear tyre and those fitted now are a slightly under size.
Love that Revell Lotus. I have several and they run reasonably well.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
several weeks ago I scored this plus two others of two bodies each from the same seller. With shipping it averaged out to about $18 per body; a total of six. This seems to be about the going price for vintage vacs these days. This one had the wrong card in the Indy Watson, but that Dino was in one of the other auctions. Another one was mis-carded as the "'37 Alfa Bimotore", a body I never knew Shark did. And part of what drew me to these: Shark did some very unique shells, not just "copy-catting" as so many others did. And the fact that they mostly had their correct cards was a plus. Like most vacs, with a lot of effort you can have a real nice racer. In my stable are the '55 Ferrari 750 Monza sports and the 1960 Dino 246 F1 car, both very unique in vintage circles. Now if I could only find the Zerex Special sports and the '55 Squalo Ferrari!

·
Administrator
10,000 Posts
Good find Steve - I've been eyeing those bodies for awhile, but with all the other projects I have, I kept hesitating. Looking forward to seeing what you do with those.

Paul, that Ferrari is very nice, what's the body?

Don

·
Registered
801 Posts
Input device Automotive design Wheel Motor vehicle Gadget

Wheel Telephone Font Machine Magenta

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

I have literally never seen one.of these before but I had to have it. According to the seller it is German and.designed by Reinhold Kuznia.

281 - 300 of 302 Posts