SlotForum banner
301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Waiting on this in the post. Hawk 1/32, a line that only featured 2 cars, can be very hard to come by. For decades I've soldiered along running with a hodge-podge Lancia/Ferrari I built from a cast-off static body a friend had. And have not come upon an original I could afford until now. Only a couple other bidders on this one, and I ended up paying a bit more than I normally would, but they just are not out there! And hey, I'm on a new budget year as of Jan. 1, so I went for it! So with a few additions and trim adjustments I should have an all-original car. Notably the rear wheels/tires will (again!) need to be switched out, and luckily I have original "new" ones. This model will be decorated per Fangio's ride.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Forgot to post this last year.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Atlas Ford GT

Tire Toy Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

Last vintage purchase of the year.

Bought just before the Ford these two Scalextric F1 cars, as they were first released 40 years ago I assume they count as vintage now

Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

Both have the wings in the box but the mounts are damaged but as they will probably get some 3D printed chassis that's not a real problem.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Forgot to post this last year.

View attachment 297024

Atlas Ford GT

View attachment 297025

Last vintage purchase of the year.

Bought just before the Ford these two Scalextric F1 cars, as they were first released 40 years ago I assume they count as vintage now

View attachment 297026

Both have the wings in the box but the mounts are damaged but as they will probably get some 3D printed chassis that's not a real problem.
Very nice, I've been looking and bidding on those older Scalextric f1's myself but haven't had any success in getting some at a decent price even with damage. That Atlas would I be right in guessing it's a 1/32 by the length of the front of the chassis? Either way looks like it's in very original condition, good score!👍
Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
John, the Atlas is 1/32nd scale and looks to be just about complete although when I was bidding for it I was more thinking that the chassis might go well under a vintage F1. The interior has come away and the front chassis screw is missing so I have to hold it by the wheels at the moment or the chassis swings down on the rear hinge and it all falls apart 😦. I only bid on the F1's as they were from the same seller, only went for them as I got the pair for under £30 as they are really outside my normal real car age range but as I've got the Airfix Williams and Lotus and never seem to find a Airfix Brabham at the right price I though why not😄

·
Registered
848 Posts
John, the Atlas is 1/32nd scale and looks to be just about complete although when I was bidding for it I was more thinking that the chassis might go well under a vintage F1. The interior has come away and the front chassis screw is missing so I have to hold it by the wheels at the moment or the chassis swings down on the rear hinge and it all falls apart 😦. I only bid on the F1's as they were from the same seller, only went for them as I got the pair for under £30 as they are really outside my normal real car age range but as I've got the Airfix Williams and Lotus and never seem to find a Airfix Brabham at the right price I though why not😄
Okay, what type of body? Hard body or lexen, I only ask because I have some hard body open frame cars and they're not the quickest cars and have brought a couple of nos. Motors and thinking of going lexen bodies for a little more performance, in 1/24 and in 1/32 with lexen would be a very smooth and
quick little car.
Cheers,
John.
Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Toy

·
Administrator
10,420 Posts
The Atlas 1/32 cars run very well in fact, especially the two F1 models; the original motor is pretty good, but if you can find the aftermarket 6V, ball-bearing version, that goes even faster. It's also a favorite in our vintage races here because of a slight magnetraction effect on Carrera track... The Brabham and Ferrari F1s do seem to be better performers than the Atlas Ford GT and Porsche 904.

Don

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,467 Posts

...and if you break a front wing (the FW07 ones are particularly puny) you can always remove the remaining one as both cars also raced without front wings.

Reactions: rastas

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
they are hard bodies, but not the typical styrene of the day. Rather they are of cyolac/ABS, so styrene cement will not work to attach trim details. Original instructions called to heat melt the trim on from the underside of the body. Most of us work with superglues these days anyway, which I think are from the same chemical family. The "hinge" mount at the rear of the sportscars was a design feature to allow for easier servicing of the chassis without having to remove all the screws.
Atlas: one of my favorite vintage brands; there was a 1/24 line as well. Just wish there could have been more!

·
Administrator
10,420 Posts
They also have the distinction of releasing the cheapest 1/24 cars ever made. Their next and last product lines had three hard-body cars at $4.98 and the vacformed Lynx at $3.98! No idea how they made a profit at that price... Maybe the yen exchange rate was favorable, since most of the parts came from Japan.

·
Administrator
10,420 Posts
The latest arrivals, a purchase from Brad Blohm last year that finally made it here after a long journey! They all sounded good on the power pack, especially the direct drive Kemtron Bronco-motored car... About the right size for a stock car, so we'll see how it works on the track! Plus two other interesting examples of scratch-built cars, a Dynamic-pan setup and an iso-fulcrum chassis, both of those with fairly short wheelbases...

Don
Tire Wheel Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Gas Font Auto part Bicycle part

301 - 312 of 312 Posts