SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 283 Posts

·
Administrator
9,906 Posts
Could have been from the Scarab or Lancia-Ferrari too... they're all the same basic chassis, except that some Lancia models had a hypoid chassis/gear... There were also short and long wheelbase versions.

Don

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
hi beardy , re the super shells lotus elite , the chassis you show here is not a saloon car chassis , as super shells made no saloons . what it is , is a static chassis for the elite so you could build up the elite

as a shelf model . if you wanted to convert the elite to a slot car you needed the pop in chassis which initially used the ks motor but latterly used an old style 13 u0 . if you want some pm me

cheers tony

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hi Tony, Thanks for the offer, I already have two of the pop in sports/saloon chassis, one with the can motor and adaptors. It the attachment that has me confused at the moment as the mounting points on the pop in chassis don't match the body shell.

Having looked at the instructions again the chassis shown for the Elite isn't the pop in one

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The chassis id the Porsche is what I have, with the round attachment lugs. The Elite chassis looks like it has screws or set screws and nuts with different side mount points. Is there another Super Shells sports car chassis?

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,906 Posts
It's more like 25k, but lots of torque. Wouldn't be a winner, but a couple have been entered and did relatively well.

I prepared an MPC "Ramcharger" a few years ago for a drag proxy and it went into the final against the top elminator with consistent ETs of about 1.48... however, I think it had a high-performance arm in there, one of MPC's options for the motor.

Don

·
Registered
276 Posts
Keith, I'm not surprised you're confused, because in the early days, pre SRM, Supershells themselves were confusing about the two different sport/saloon chassis they offered. The pic you showed in your second post illustrates it perfectly. The top image is of a Popin chassis, but the lower picture is of a 'Screwin' version. No, I'm not pulling your leg! See the two pics I've posted

As it happens, I have a damaged Popin chassis going spare. The damage is that someone (not me) has removed - surgically cleanly - the two rear mounting lugs. Apart from that, it's a good working example. No good to me - I already have two perfect Popins and only one SShells Elite body. If you're interested, pm me. Fiver + P&P?

John

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,906 Posts
These weren't actually purchases this year, but over the last few weeks, I finally decided to assemble some of the many hundreds of motor parts I've accumulated over the last 20 years or so. I've assembled a few over the years - and a lot of these are rewinds, factory or home-brewed - but this time I put together about 20, mostly 16Ds, and a few 26Ds... and one lonely 36D!

Things don't always match up the way you think they will, so it takes awhile... All in bags now, waiting for the Perfect Application... if you need a bare shot of any specific motor, let me know. On one, I wrote "Hot" - not that it's an especially fast motor, but it runs kind of hot - not to be used for endurance races of more than 5 minutes!

Don

Vision care Audio equipment Electrical wiring Eyewear Cable

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
very early on, when I was hunting stuff at the flea market (got many miles of walking in back then!), nine times out of ten the found motor would be someone's rewind that had somehow survived. They would get installed in my humble little homeset 1/32's, and boy what a handfull! Since then, all have been re-motored with box stock versions of the original manufacturer's motor, and the "hot" ones put away and marked as such.

·
Administrator
9,906 Posts
I hear you Steve... that's actually mostly what I first looked for at the beginning (and still mostly now, to tell the truth...), but have realized over the years that I probably have more use for the standard motors, or mild rewinds, on almost all the tracks we run on here. But you're a lucky man to have found rewinds at the flea markets - almost none of that here. Except once, kind of, back in the late 1990s, I think, at a very local flea market in our not very rich neighborhood, one of the guys was selling a bunch of wing type slot car stuff from the 70s or 80s, including strap motors and a Barry Magee fiberboard chassis! Was asking about 800 francs ($120 or so), but he finally let me have it for half that, since I think he realized he wasn't going to find anybody else remotely interested in that kind of slot car stuff!

Of course, with the inauguration of the Green Monster last September, we're all having to rethink our approach...

Clothing Trousers Automotive tire Wood Automotive design

Don

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Don,
you bring a good point... until a few of us made younger enthusiasts aware of the historical value (in our little world) of genuine, and documented "pro racing" cars, chassis, motors and bits, itwas bargain galore on eBay. By 2010, all such bargains were gone, as the asking prices for such goodies went up about X 10.
Just for the fun of it, I remember picking the pair of these beautiful 1967 Terry Schmid cars for 38 bucks on eBay USA. No one cared!
Try this now, or after a few hundreds have read "Slot Car Dreams"...
smile.png

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Toy

Wheel Tire Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Tire

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Blue Toy

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don the dark blue are lenz not thorp, thorp of this period were lilac/pink, yes (99% sure) he 36d is also a Lenz (painted bushing is the giveaway).
The french with fmc seem to be quite rare and it's not a sticker it's printed direct to the can.

·
Administrator
9,906 Posts
Thanks Lee, I meant Lenz of course, always get them mixed up with Thorp... Have seen a few photos of the FMC label...

Ronnie, that must be a Strombecker Canada set; only Strombecker and Eldon made cars like that (with some pretty amazing similarities in fact, making me wonder if they weren't produced at the same factory... and there's a Canadian connection for both companies). The track is not Eldon, and looks closer to Strombecker, altho I didn't ID it right away...

Don

41 - 60 of 283 Posts