SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jim Moyes
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the last club night of the year we always do something a bit different that we would not normally do.
This year we decided to enter the fantasy world of "magic cranes" with a mini endurance event. As one of our first classes for next year is for the Hornby 80s Touring cars, and as Santa had been very impressed with the behaviour of most of our members this year, we chose to run these.

Due to family commitments/ Covid we only had 7 competitors. So we ran the middle four lanes for 25 minutes each. This meant we had three teams of two, organised into pairs made up of the top points scorer in this years championship with lowest points scorer and so on until we got to the middle which meant Dave would race on his own. To even up the fact that Dave would not lose time having to changeover, we decided that at one point in his stint, he should stop at the designated pit point where everyone had to stop while their team carried out their driver changes, unplug his controller, do a pirouette that Dame Margot Fontain would be proud of, and plug back in.

This meant the teams were;

Jim & Luke - Ford Sierra (red)
Wes & Trigger - Ford Sierra (blue/white)
Reuben & Steve - BMW M3 (orange) (Changed to Rover SD1 at half time)
Dave - Ford Sierra (black)

After the first stint Dave (on blue lane) had recorded 123.5 laps of the 130ft track, followed by Jim & Luke (green lane) with 119.5, Reuben & Steve (yellow lane) on 118.7 and Wes & Trigger (red lane) 115.7.

We all swapped lanes and started again for another 25 minute session. On about the 23rd minute of the session the BMW started to show some intermittent stuttering, which cost some time for Reuben & Steve. Getting towards the 20 minute mark I grabbed my phone to see if I could get some of the action on video.

Over 6 minutes with only 1 deslot! Who says standard Scalextric cars can't be raced on wood club tracks?

So at the end of the second stint Dave had increased his lead;

Dave (Yellow) 122.6 (246.1)
Jim & Luke (Red) 119.4 (238.9)
Wes & Trigger (Blue) 120.8 (236.5)
Reuben & Steve (Green) 115.9 (234.6)

So a combination of the BMW stuttering towards the end of that stint, and Trigger putting in some much more consistent laps, meant that the 3rd and 4th places had changed round.

We then had our customary half time tea break and Steve and Reuben had a look to see if they could find an issue with the BMW. Being the sporting lot that we are, we agreed that they could change car if they preferred. Reuben has been preparing a Rover SD1 for the class next year but it was a bit tippy compared to the modern Scaleys, so we agreed that they could limit the travel on the front axle and a quick lash up with a bit of plastic and some glue was made.

Back to the track for the third session and, once again, despite the best efforts of Jim & Luke, Dave increased his lead.

Dave (Green) 124.2 (370.3)
Jim & Luke (Blue) 123.2 (362.1)
Wes & Trigger (Yellow) 120.4 (356.9)
Reuben & Steve (Red) 116.1 (350.7)

The Rover was as quick in a straight line as the Sierras, but just that bit harder to keep in the slot.

Straight on to the fourth and final session and despite Luke managing to build a one and a half lap lead in the second half of the final stint, Dave knuckled down and managed to chase down and catch the red Sierra to make it a clean sweep of all four sessions.

The final results were;

Dave (Red) 124.8 (495.1)
Jim & Luke (Yellow) 123.4 (485.5)
Wes & Trigger (Green) 122.1 (479)
Steve & Reuben 117.3 (468)

So a superb drive from Dave, only 4 deslots all evening (had to be one of them that I caught on the video:rolleyes:) and the Sierras were excellent. The BMW stuttering problem couldn't be found and would not repeat itself during testing at tea break, but Reuben & Steve decided not to risk another possible outbreak of it.

So a quick calculation shows that the winning Sierra covered 12.19 actual miles! Impressive!

·
Jim Moyes
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know, Rod. I think one side is one and the other side is the other :unsure:

·
Registered
16 Posts
One last thing and please don't think I'm being picky but I think I scored 18 in the DTM class not 17! To me it makes all the difference because it's a PB!! 😇🏆🍻

Thanks for all your hard work!

Cheers

Rod

·
Jim Moyes
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rod,
Top one is a Daytona Prototype, second and third are fine. The Porsche is particularly fine as long as it's a Sideways or Scaleauto. Even the Scaleauto "Home Series" version goes well on our track, and they were reasonably priced. Reuben and I have both used them before.

I haven't entered the scores into the spreadsheet yet. Does it look like an error in the adding up? If so, that would come to light when entering onto the Spreadsheet, so I would alter it accordingly. I hope to do it over the weekend, so should have an answer for you soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Jim

Yes the scores are just an accounting error easily done in the heat of battle and easily fix when final upload is done. TQ

I have opted for the Racer Sideways Kremer Porsche 935, do you know why?

Because it was Smokin'! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Anyhoo! I leave you in peace, have a good W/E see you next Thursday!

R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts