SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts

31st Mar, 2012 - 1st Apr, 2012

24 Hour racing - Le Mans style
A team from the UK is to host one of the biggest 24 hour races seen in slot car racing - using a 240 ft replica of the Le Mans circuit. The race will be run on Ninco track, using the wireless digital system, Slot.it oXigen.

Circuit
Sponsored by Pendle Slot Racing, the track for this event is made from brand-new Ninco track sections, operating initially over four lanes. The circuit will use Slot.it oXigen lane-change technology, and implement a working pit lane. Keen to see some high speeds, there are no chicanes to spoil the 75-foot Mulsanne straight.

While Le Mans has been built before by DHORC for their own 24 hour race, now in its 19th year, this version for 1/32 scale cars will include plenty of recognisable scenery to emphasise the authenticity. One of the most significant features will be the replica pitlane, provided by event sponsors Royale Slot Car Accessories. Not only do Royale's garages act as convincing replicas, but the are fully lit to provide plenty of atmosphere during night-time racing.

Also on-board to decorate the track with their robust and popular products are UK-based Slot Track Scenics.

Going digital
The choice for digital racing was made after experiencing oXigen at the UK Slot Car Fesitval (Gaydon). Previous digital slot car racing systems have been criticised by racers in the past, but the capability of Slot.it's oXigen system is beyond what has been previously offered. Capable of hosting up to 20 cars, it is the perfect platform for endurance racing. It will also offer drivers the added responsibility of dealing with slower traffic, forcing them to think about their driving strategy rather than 'sprint' for the stint with the throttle.

It is accepted that many potential entrants may be unfamiliar with digital racing. To encourage involvement, a Slot.it SCP-1 hand controller and digital chip are supplied to every team. This leaves no excuse to stay at home!

Cars and classes
The event in 2012 will be open to contemporary Le Mans cars from 2006-2011 inclusive. The race will be open to entries in two classes, LMP and GT, with minor technical variations between the two. Regulations are fairly relaxed, essentially boiling down to free use of a plastic chassis with any off-the-shelf component.

Two choices of control tyre will be used for the event, which will be supplied to entrants.

Venue
The venue chosen to hold the event, running from 30th March to 01st April, 2012, will be a modern sports hall within the grounds of Warwickshire College's Henley-In-Arden sports & leisure campus. The venue will be open from 09:00 until midnight on the preceding Friday to allow for practice, and for night-time qualifying!

Registration & Further Details
To register interest in the event, please view the events thread for details or email [email protected].

·
fred
1,608 Posts
Sounds fantastic.

I have got absolutely no interest in taking part (I love my sleep too much) but I will definately be a spectator. I am sure it will be a great spectacle with traders in abundance no doubt.

I look forwards to this with great interest and especially to evaluate the oxigen system for use with our own club.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
QUOTE (Bigskybanker @ 23 Sep 2011, 18:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>240'. Not bad. Amazing to think that is 'only' about 1/6 the scale distance of the 1:1 track. (I think I got my math right on that).

You're just a little bit out!

1:186 by my calculations.

Still it sounds fantastic!

·
Gary Skipp
6,539 Posts
QUOTE (Bigskybanker @ 23 Sep 2011, 17:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>240'. Not bad. Amazing to think that is 'only' about 1/6 the scale distance of the 1:1 track. (I think I got my math right on that).

QUOTE (ss67 @ 24 Sep 2011, 13:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You're just a little bit out!

1:186 by my calculations.

Still it sounds fantastic!

One sixth of 1:32 is 1:192, so Bigsky is pretty much correct

1/32 Le Mans is just a touch bigger than an athletics track. I'm up for it, but you wouldn't be able to see the cars

Craig, hope to see your Lizard on the grid

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Awesome wish I could there but it is a bit too far for me from down under.

Please see if you can post some live video for those of us that can't be there.

Are you going to have an old style Le Mans start, a standing start or a rolling start?

Regards

Ray
Team Thunderbird

·
Administrator
10,170 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
So no Group C Cars. Only current LMP and GT Cars I see. Just look at the Cars on the allowed List and wonder what Cars Teams will use and would love to see Chip placement in them. And I see a Pit Lane will be in use so will there be Refueling

·
Gary Skipp
6,539 Posts
Hi again Marv! There's so many categories to choose from, but we didn't want to have a mixed bag. We have chosen contemporary models for this years event, but there's no reason why we couldn't select Group C or any other era for events to come. With such an excellent range of Group C cars available, especially within the Slot.it range, there's a strong case for racing these cars in the future. I'm looking forward to running my personal favorite years 94-99

1 - 20 of 20 Posts