Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm pretty new to this and I have searched and searched but only found half my solution.

I've seen people comment about having a separate power supply to the lane changers as the sap power but I can't find an idiots guide to do this?? I have 6 lane changers plus changers within a section to make 4 lanes aswell as pitlane.

I've also seen comments about a seperate power supply such as the rc Nicad charger but again can't find anything to tell me what to do with it other than 'sort second psu out as soon as you can'.

I really do need someone experienced to talk to me like I'm a child - I know cars inside out but struggling with scalextric digital.

Thanks
Chris

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Hello,

If you are using the C7042 APB then a second power supply would help with 4 or less cars and is essential for running 5 or 6 cars.

Yes the lane changers use power. It's simple to power them separately - just take the back panel off and wire them up to your power supply. The reason you can do this is because the lane change mechanism only takes power and not data/instructions from the track. The instructions come from the in-car LEDs through the lane changer sensors.

However you will need to look up the thread on how to do this using the Slotforum search box because I can't remember the voltage or exactly how to connect up. The lane changers receive AC or DC power from an APB depending on mode and can still be triggered in analogue mode by external light sources so there must be a rectifier circuit in there and you need to connect you DC supply in the correct way.

Happy hunting (search box top right of screen)

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Cheers Chris,

I was looking for the same thing the other day. Please give post no. 6 in this thread a look.

Br,
Christian

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have a good look when I finish work tomorrow - nice 2 weeks holiday to finish my build!!!

Might be asking more yet as I am digital dumb!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right so I've done what I was told and used the search button, I've been reading for hours and hours - I'm now a qualified electronics engineer!!

However I still can't find the answer to one question?

Can I get a 3rd party power supply, make the wires I'd need and connect it to the existing 4 car power board through the existing slot?

·
Greg Gaub
14,638 Posts
Yes? You can certainly cobble together your own power supply connection if needed.
What you can NOT do is simply put in another power base to add more power. You can have only ONE power base controlling the track.
There's a complex mod you can do so that a second power base is a SLAVE to the first, to add more power to the track, but the first one is the master, controlling the second.
Otherwise, putting another power base in the track is a recipe for disaster.

What is your goal and intent? I thought you want to power the lane changers separately? If that is the case, then you need to open them up and desolder the wires that sap power from the rails. Connect THOSE wires to their own power source. One power source can supply all the lane changers. This way, the power base is only providing power to the cars, and not losing some to the lane changers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (ss67 @ 10 Jan 2012, 17:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I might be wrong, but I think the questions are:

What power source can be used?

and

How should it be connected to all the flippers?

Sort of.

What power source can be used and how do I connect it?

I was hoping if I get a better power source I wont have to worry about connecting the lane changers seperately.

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 10 Jan 2012, 16:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What is your goal and intent? I thought you want to power the lane changers separately? If that is the case, then you need to open them up and desolder the wires that sap power from the rails. Connect THOSE wires to their own power source. One power source can supply all the lane changers. This way, the power base is only providing power to the cars, and not losing some to the lane changers.

I do also want to power the lane changers seperately. Would the existing power supply be enough to power all the lane changers once Ive replaced that with a new power supply?

Thanks
Chris

·
Greg Gaub
14,638 Posts
Yes. That's actually what a lot of people do. They put a new/better power supply (PSU) on the base, and use the Scalextric one to power just the lane changers.

If you can supply the track with enough power, you don't have to power the lane changers separately. Doing so depends on what kind of power base(s) you have at your disposal.

A - If you have an original 6 car power base (C7030), then you can get the hardware (and software) upgrades to turn it into a PB-Pro Simple-H unit. That would have more power than any number of lane changers could use.

B - If you have an original 6 car base AND a 4 car base, then you can perform the Master/Slave 6/4 mod, whereby the power provided by the 4 car base is controlled by the 6 car base. This was common prior to the Simple-H mod mentioned above.

C - If you have TWO 4 car bases you can do the Master/Slave 4/4 mod where one 4 car base controls the power contributed by the other 4 car base. Just like B, except with two 4 car bases. This is usually the cheapest solution because the 4 car bases are so common, and it's not uncommon for people to already have two of them from buying two sets.

D - If you have the new 6 car base (C7042) then you don't really need to power lane changers separately. This base already has good power management. You WILL want two power supplies in order to provide the optimum power, though. If you don't already have two of the 15v Scalextric Digital power supplies, you can get cheap Toshiba laptop charger supplies off ebay. Get two of them so that both supplies are the same. You can also use a bench power supply and cables.

E - If you have the C7042 base and want even more power, you can perform the high power mod by Riko. Some cutting and soldering, and then you can connect up a high amp variable voltage supply, providing enough power for an enormous track with dozens of lane changers.

F - If all you have is an original 6 car base, OR a single 4 car base, AND you don't want to spend any (much) more money to add hardware or upgrade things, then separately powering the lane changers IS a good idea.

Separately powering the lane changers is never a bad idea, though. The decision to do it or not do it usually depends on how much money and/or time you want to put towards the solution.

·
Registered
125 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 10 Jan 2012, 20:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes. That's actually what a lot of people do. They put a new/better power supply (PSU) on the base, and use the Scalextric one to power just the lane changers.

If you can supply the track with enough power, you don't have to power the lane changers separately. Doing so depends on what kind of power base(s) you have at your disposal.

A - If you have an original 6 car power base (C7030), then you can get the hardware (and software) upgrades to turn it into a PB-Pro Simple-H unit. That would have more power than any number of lane changers could use.

B - If you have an original 6 car base AND a 4 car base, then you can perform the Master/Slave 6/4 mod, whereby the power provided by the 4 car base is controlled by the 6 car base. This was common prior to the Simple-H mod mentioned above.

C - If you have TWO 4 car bases you can do the Master/Slave 4/4 mod where one 4 car base controls the power contributed by the other 4 car base. Just like B, except with two 4 car bases. This is usually the cheapest solution because the 4 car bases are so common, and it's not uncommon for people to already have two of them from buying two sets.

D - If you have the new 6 car base (C7042) then you don't really need to power lane changers separately. This base already has good power management. You WILL want two power supplies in order to provide the optimum power, though. If you don't already have two of the 15v Scalextric Digital power supplies, you can get cheap Toshiba laptop charger supplies off ebay. Get two of them so that both supplies are the same. You can also use a bench power supply and cables.

E - If you have the C7042 base and want even more power, you can perform the high power mod by Riko. Some cutting and soldering, and then you can connect up a high amp variable voltage supply, providing enough power for an enormous track with dozens of lane changers.

Ad D.
I have a 4 car base, with the common power supply. Isn't it possible to use that together with one of the Toshiba laptor charger supplies or should it be two of the Toshibas?

BTW: Can it work with two of this Toshiba power supply from Ebay?
Toshiba power supply, Ebay

·
Greg Gaub
14,638 Posts
People who know more than me have said that it's best to use two identical supplies. It's better to buy two Toshiba chargers and use them both, than to buy one and use it along with a Scalextric supply.

Yes, the PSU you linked on ebay is just what we mean. It doesn't need to be Toshiba BRAND, but it should be designed to power Toshiba laptops. They use the same plug size, polarity, voltage, and amps as the Scalextric supplies. NOTE that the one you linked does not include the power cords. If you bought two of those, you'd still need to find two power cords. It would be better/easier to find a cheap PSU that already has the necessary power cord for the wall outlet in your location.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much!! I think its getting clearer.....maybe!!!

So Ive got a 4 car powerbase, can I use 2x the toshiba power supplies suggested or would that make it 30v??

You'll have to excuse my ignorance!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 10 Jan 2012, 19:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>People who know more than me have said that it's best to use two identical supplies. It's better to buy two Toshiba chargers and use them both, than to buy one and use it along with a Scalextric supply.

Yes, the PSU you linked on ebay is just what we mean. It doesn't need to be Toshiba BRAND, but it should be designed to power Toshiba laptops. They use the same plug size, polarity, voltage, and amps as the Scalextric supplies. NOTE that the one you linked does not include the power cords. If you bought two of those, you'd still need to find two power cords. It would be better/easier to find a cheap PSU that already has the necessary power cord for the wall outlet in your location.

How would I connect the two power supplies?? Just join them before the plug??

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
the 4 car pb only has one socket for psu.?? So powering the lc sections independentley still makes a lot of sense.

With the birth of pbpro+simple h and the release of the apb the powering of the flippers by a independent psu is a redundant mod.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 10 Jan 2012, 19:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
the 4 car pb only has one socket for psu.?? So powering the lc sections independentley still makes a lot of sense.

With the birth of pbpro+simple h and the release of the apb the powering of the flippers by a independent psu is a redundant mod.

I did say talk to me like a child as none of that made any sense!

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
yes that looks very nice,does it state that it is regulated or smoothed anywhere.??

You should be able to find one's in that price range with variable voltage as well,you may have to sacrifice a little in the amps dept though,10 amps should be plenty.

My own psu is 30amp continuous output but is total overkill; it means it is very under stressed and will see me out.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
that one is much better value,variable voltage and digital display.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts