SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During Christmas 2010 the addiction to slot cars began for my sons and I. We started with a SCXd tri-oval set that quickly grew to a 115' long layout. We had great times racing on that plastic track. Then we started racing on wood and that resulted in the construction of a 55' - 3 lane wood track in the unfinished portion of the man cave. We've moved away from plastic track racing so much that we decided it was time to take that layout down and start plans for a second wood track. This week we decommissioned the old SCX layout to make room for the new wood track.

Here's a picture before the decommisioning activities.

And here's how that space looks today - big and empty in need of some routed MDF!

If you look closely you will see some paint samples on the wall. As part of the negotiation process with my wife I volunteered, after being strong armed, to paint the entire man cave first before putting up a new track. I also had to agree to paint our bedroom and have hardwood flooring put in there as well. She drives a hard bargain but I think I still got the better end of the deal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are times in a marriage when your spouse does something than only confirms you did the right thing when you said "I DO". Today was one of those days.

My wife was actually helping me paint the man cave and was listening to my oldest son and I discuss the new track. We were mentioning that we wished we could have some longer straight sections in our track for some more speed but we just couldn't pull it off in the area we were planning on building the track. She looked around the room and quickly instructed us to move some furniture and a few other things and then stated "what about building the track over in that area of the basement and putting the TV's & furniture over where we were going to build the track."

I quickly moved the items and then grabed my tape measure and set to marking down some measurements on paper. Well she managed to increase the available space we were planning on using to an area 19' x 10'. We now had the ability to put some 19' long straights into a layout.

After putting the measurements down on paper I gathered my slot cars and my oldest son and headed out to CloverLeaf Raceway for the monthly BRM & Scaleauto race. When I got home she had finished taping off the rest of the basement that I still have to paint. She also had went to The Home Depot and picked out paint cards for the Dining Room! Which just got added to my 'To Do' list.

Don't tell her but I would have painted the whole darn house in exchange for another track.

I decided to stay up late to work on a new layout to get over to the Wicked Mini CAD man. Here's what we ended up designing

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the man cave painted and the dining room painted. Picked up the routed MDF from the CNC man. Built all but one table. Whew that was a busy two days....

Tables just about completed

The routed MDF sitting in the garage waiting for me to route the gain in it and paint it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay with the table construction completed and a trip to the Home Depot to look at paint for the bedroom out of the way I finally had time to layout all the pieces in the driveway to see how it looks. Looks good! Can't wait to get this thing together and start turning some hot laps.....

This whole process took a few days but I just got around to getting a thread started on here.

More to come soon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (Kellerkind @ 27 May 2012, 09:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow! This is going to be greatest blast! Looking fwd to the progress. Are you planning to do it with full scenery? I would love it. Regards Jens

I'll answer your question with a picture.

These were purchased along with 5 gallons of hydrocal and many other items for this track.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hello Great work. Is it a kind of modules in the track pieces?
If it isnt, it could be, look wery safe to build a big track on this blocks.
Good look with all the painting say Lasp

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In between painting bedroom walls, mowing the yard and several other honey do's I found some time to get the slots painted today.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally have been able to make some progress on the track build.

preliminary painting, temporary supports for elevation experiments and track bolted together and a few feet of braid laid.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
This will be good! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got some braiding and some elevation changes done this weekend. 7 of the 11 pieces have braid in all three lanes. 1 other track piece is taped and ready for braid.

The lower track got some elevation making it uphill to the middle of the corner and then downhill into the next corner.

This corner is at the bottom of the downhill cuve in previous photos. This turn exits and goes uphill to next corner.

small blocks attached to the sides of the track to provide areas to attach tile board guard rails.

tile board cut into 4" tall 4' long strips and painted with a coat red. These will be guard rails ready for some geezer banners.

extra plywood attached in corner for a sand trap / kitty litter area with tires and fence.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (4.3 ZOOK @ 25 Jun 2012, 00:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice use of what could have been a boring old Dining room

Track looks like a fun drive!

Not a dining room, that's my basement (man cave)..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts